Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 06:19 AM

50,309 posts, read 35,932,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I don't know why you felt the need to lecture me, but you need to back up and slow your roll. I'm well aware of all of this without you telling me.
It was a response really to the person who claimed that she was unprepared because she didn’t have a hand written note with her order on it. She’s able to speak that was my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Only made it through the first page of responses (so far), so I apologize if this is redundant - I have to wonder if this wasn't a contrived scenario by the deaf customer in order to hit the ghetto lottery - deaf people can be asses, too. No idea if this was the case, but it has to be thrown out there as a possibility. Either way, the employee was in the wrong, and should have had both better sense and much more compassion for the disabled. Speaking of which, how do blind people navigate the drive-through? Does the menu sign have braille lettering on it?
It may well be true that that was her plan. However if these places were properly training their employees, they would not have to worry about lawsuits. She could go to every fast food restaurant in her town and try the same thing, and if the employees are properly trained and again decent human beings, because this one mocked her relentlessly, they would not have to worry about it. Whether her intentions were good or nefarious does not change the fact that this was a terrible employee who is also a terrible human being. And that the store is not properly training their employees to follow the ADA. The fact that she was filming it to make money would not change any of that.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:49 AM

16,365 posts, read 12,351,506 times
It's clear that some of you have never experienced discrimination based on a disability that is beyond your control.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:42 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,738,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It may well be true that that was her plan. However if these places were properly training their employees, they would not have to worry about lawsuits. She could go to every fast food restaurant in her town and try the same thing, and if the employees are properly trained and again decent human beings, because this one mocked her relentlessly, they would not have to worry about it. Whether her intentions were good or nefarious does not change the fact that this was a terrible employee who is also a terrible human being. And that the store is not properly training their employees to follow the ADA. The fact that she was filming it to make money would not change any of that.

It just means that, as many have already pointed out, his behavior--for which he was rightfully terminated-- was despicable, and that her intentions were suspect.

They're two different things.

Obviously, this 4 a.m. excursion ( when drive-thrus are generally not busy, and she wouldn't be incurring the wrath of a multitude of cars behind hers), was not about getting food. Had it been, her son would have placed the order this time, and she could have complained about it--then called CNN--later.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:47 AM

146 posts, read 77,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
While the employee was wrong, who the hell as a customer is going to stay there for 2 hours arguing.

How in the world did EITHER of them have the time? She stayed until 6 in the morning?...Arguing? Well..what.....She and the employee have a LOT of time on their hands like that. Most all workers would have cut that off.

Last edited by MarlaKK; 09-11-2019 at 09:10 AM..

Old 09-11-2019, 08:10 AM

11,195 posts, read 9,021,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlaKK View Post
How in the world did EITHER of them have the time? She staye duntil 6 in th emorning?...Arguing? Well..what.....She and the employee have a LOT of time on their hands like that. Most all workers would have cut that off.
She had nothing else to do...LOL, But remember the lawsuit will be for all deaf people.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
The US is the only country where the age of consent is above 17 anywhere, including the state of this incident. America institutionally obstructs maturing people from the opportunity to explore lifestyle choices, and then acts surprised when young workers have no judgment skills. Stop treating our adolescents like babies, and they will stop making infantile workplace decisions.

What really happened here was that a problem arose in the first moment, and both parties quickly escalated to placing blame, rather than problem resolution. Which is becoming an increasingly universal outcome these days. Even in forum discussions in the aftermath.
I tnink young persons attitude is more shaped by their role models than the age they can legally buy a drink. Even if the drinking age were 16, this kid was already pretty well formed by then as far as values and work ethic. We say mocking the disabled is wrong, yet....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uNXgjnBpxGI

Old 09-11-2019, 08:41 AM

7,189 posts, read 3,998,912 times
I had minmum wage jobs, in the 1970's, when people were actually polite and better mannered.

My kids worked minimum wage jobs. Frankly, people are more discourteous and rude now.

This kid probably is putting himself through college or working multiple minimum wage jobs. He isn't in a good place deaing with drunk and obnoxious people at that hour.

About 15 million Americans work full time on evening shifts (until 11 p.m. or so), the night shift (often 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.). And toiling overnight takes its toll on them.

“There are all kinds of physical and mental issues with night-shift work that mirror what we’ve seen for short sleepers in general,” Chris Brantner, a certified sleep coach and founder of SleepZoo.com, told Moneyish.

The World Health Organization classified night shift work as a probable carcinogen in 2007 because its disruption to the body’s circadian rhythm -- which signals our cells to produce specific hormones at specific times based on a 24-hour day-night cycle -- appears to have cancer-causing effects.

Plus, the night shift lifestyle is linked with behaviors that increase cancer risk, such as getting insufficient sleep, smoking, eating junk food and getting less sleep. Night-shift work has also been associated with higher rates of depression, anxiety and stress. And then there’s simple fatigue, which can lead to car accidents, poor decision-making and worsening mood.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...-do-2018-05-24

What about this kid?

Mr. Ryu - can't rep you again. Wish I could!

Old 09-11-2019, 08:42 AM

11,195 posts, read 9,021,915 times
Quote:
I tnink young persons attitude is more shaped by their role models than the age they can legally buy a drink. Even if the drinking age were 16, this kid was already pretty well formed by then as far as values and work ethic. We say mocking the disabled is wrong, yet....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uNXgjnBpxGI
Oh yeah, Donald Trump's fault. I remember people making fun of quirks and disabilities of others pre-trump,

i was born in 84.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:04 AM

15,978 posts, read 20,964,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Utilizing written communication would require going to the window to order, not talking through the speaker. Isn't that why she went up to the window and bypassed the speaker?
I don't have a problem with people going to the window instead of the speaker if they need to. I just had the impression that the employee may not have been very proficient in English and may have been struggling with what she was trying to tell him about not using the speaker. The woman's speech was pretty clear, but OTOH I'm not sure I understand why someone who is deaf or mute would make the assumption that everyone else can always clearly understand what they want to convey.
With some of the speech or hearing impaired customers I've dealt with I sometimes feel more confident in responding to what's written rather than what's said, so that I don't misinterpret what was said.
Since we don't see the beginning of the video there's no way to know if this started off as a miscommunication that escalated into something more, or maybe the employee simply was a jerk and got himself all twisted up over her skipping the speaker box. I do think it's crazy that this went on for so long, and that she wants to sue over it.
Quote:
It was a response really to the person who claimed that she was unprepared because she didn’t have a hand written note with her order on it. She’s able to speak that was my point.
Wow, try again, that's not at all what was said. I deal with deaf people who DO write notes if the communication isn't going well, and as strange as it might seem to you I've also had them pull out cell phones and tablets to type on, for the same reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events