Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 12:03 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
If she was ALONE it would be a different story. REMEMBER, her SON who CAN HEAR and SPEAK was with her. This was a non-issue if she was a rational person and just asked her son for help. But she wanted to do it the hard way.

It delays the line if someone places their order at the checkout window instead of the speaker box. "There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in placing the order at the box or at the window"
In reading your string of insensitive posts, it makes me glad that over a 33 year career in education that I had the experience of working with many disabled teenagers and some disabled adults. Some were physically disabled, some emotionally disabled, and some mentally disabled. In working with them I learned about the frustrations of their daily lives. Their inability to do some things at all. Or their inability to do some things independently. And the frustration of knowing that those inabilities would be with them 24 hours a day, every day for their entire life. In many cases, not able to ever live in their own apartment or house, or drive a car, or get on a bus, or a thousand other things that people you take for granted.

The only way you'll ever get it is if it happens to you. I hope it never does. I hope you never have to learn the hard way.

Last edited by phetaroi; 09-11-2019 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Another incident though that of course went viral. I’m not condoning what this employee did but at same time does he need his entire life ruined because he acted like an a** on the graveyard shift of a minimum wage job. That’s what seems to be the wanted end result in most of these situations. Nobody can be an idiot anymore and everybody wants to sue every time anything unpleasant happens.
If all he's doing is working the graveyard shift at a fast food drive-through, I doubt this incident will ruin his entire life.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Another incident though that of course went viral. I’m not condoning what this employee did but at same time does he need his entire life ruined because he acted like an a** on the graveyard shift of a minimum wage job. That’s what seems to be the wanted end result in most of these situations. Nobody can be an idiot anymore and everybody wants to sue every time anything unpleasant happens.
Do you realize why people often want to sue? Because the mere threat of lawsuit often makes things happen.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:44 PM

609 posts, read 263,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I had minmum wage jobs, in the 1970's, when people were actually polite and better mannered.

My kids worked minimum wage jobs. Frankly, people are more discourteous and rude now.
I do not agree. I worked lots of minimum wage jobs early 80s, adults would come in and cuss out the kids who worked there, grown men would come into stores and make passes at the teen girls who worked the cash register. Store workers, especially young ones, took constant abuse. All kinds of stuff that wouldn't fly nowadays and stores these days will have customers thrown out for even giving someone a dirty look. Fast food workers are seen as "victims" nowadays who are "underpaid" never mind the fact some of them choose fast food work as a long term career, for whatever unimaginable reason.

The woman who is deaf was not in the wrong here, the idiot working started all this. He wanted to bully and humiliate this woman. He should have just shut his low-wage mouth and taken her order. I saw her in that video clip and she speaks better and more clearly than many hearing people do.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:16 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
At 4 AM, the lobby is closed, so she could only use the drive-thru. The man at the drive-thru is a disgrace to treat a deaf person like that. He deserved to be fired and should not ever work in any customer service job since he has no respect for customers. Good riddance!

Now now, that fine young man could become President some day...

Old 09-11-2019, 01:19 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes. That's true. Every once in a while, even as a school principal, I hired a lemon.

Heh.. You've got a chance for much bigger problems, or a much worse 'bad hire'. I mean, yeah.. JitB is taking something of a black eye for this, however, it's probably just little PR hiccup at the end of the day..

But in your situation, you hire someone who checked out and all was well and you think you've filled your need.. Then the cops are showing up at the school and interviewing the entire girls basketball team..

Old 09-11-2019, 01:58 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In reading your string of insensitive posts, it makes me glad that over a 33 year career in education that I had the experience of working with many disabled teenagers and some disabled adults. Some were physically disabled, some emotionally disabled, and some mentally disabled. In working with them I learned about the frustrations of their daily lives. Their inability to do some things at all. Or their inability to do some things independently. And the frustration of knowing that those inabilities would be with them 24 hours a day, every day for their entire life. In many cases, not able to ever live in their own apartment or house, or drive a car, or get on a bus, or a thousand other things that people you take for granted.

The only way you'll ever get it is if it happens to you. I hope it never does. I hope you never have to learn the hard way.
Lady, none of by post were insensitive. At the end of day, this incident would have never happened if her son would have just simply ordered the food for both of them. Why do it the HARD way?

If she was solo then i would be more on her side but i am not since an able bodied person was in the car and could have ordered the food avoiding hardship for the employee.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:08 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Lady, none of by post were insensitive. At the end of day, this incident would have never happened if her son would have just simply ordered the food for both of them. Why do it the HARD way?

If she was solo then i would be more on her side but i am not since an able bodied person was in the car and could have ordered the food avoiding hardship for the employee.
If she were solo, she wouldn't have a cameraman behind her to get this on NBC Bay Area. Holding the phone herself would have made the objective too obvious.

And, for those of you who don't live in the Bay Area, remember this didn't happen in Iowa City. There was nothing particularly unusual/shocking about this customer service level at a fast food drive-up window - particularly at 4:00 AM, in much of the Bay Area. He also appeared to be a member of a minority community (overwhelmingly common here), so I wouldn't be surprised to see a counter suit or wrongful termination suit. Given what I'm quite sure was the original intention of the "customer", I would almost be pleased to see that.

Many in the deaf community never seem to have enough trouble in their lives, so they look for ways to make more.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:25 PM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:

I see your point on one hand but I fail to see how it was a hardship for the employee. She walked up to the window and said basically "Hi, I'll have 3 tacos, I'm deaf so I can't order from the speaker" or whatever she ordered, at a drive through at 4am with no one else there. All he had to do was fill the order, not any differently than he would have filled it had the son ordered. The only thing that was different with her walking up vs him ordering through the speaker is that she was standing in front of him (so she could read hip lips). How was that any more of a hardship than if they ordered from the speaker?

Old 09-11-2019, 03:44 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
At 4 a.m., A deaf woman bypassed the speaker to order at the drive-thru window at a CA Junk In The Box, where she encountered an extremely rude, loud, and aggressive employee, who wouldn't take her order, and who mocked her. This confrontation lasted two hours.

Her son, who looks like he's 6'2", promptly began recording the incident. And she plans to sue.

1. Management responded quickly, apologized, and appropriately fired the employee.

2. The employee should have simply taken her order at the window.

3. The woman--or her son--could have gone into the restaurant to place their order. Drive-thrus aren't for everyone.

4. Who the hell argues for two hours?

This video has an ad, but is the best, and shows her son, who clearly looks able to have placed the order, himself.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/on-air/as...559883672.html
Campbell, CA is part of Silicon Valley - the birth place of eBay. I thought those people were so much better than everyone else in compassion and empathy for their fellow man - that's what they keep telling us.

Most likely, the restaurant itself (dining area) was not open at 4am. Drive thru is usually the only thing open in many of those fast food places that hour that do 24 hour ordering.

Even if it wasn't, so what? Why should the guy have to get out of his car to go inside? If it had been open, I'll bet that he would have gone inside to confront that little drive thru punk.

Just about everyone who goes through a drive thru looks perfectly capable of going inside. The deaf person is also completely capable of going inside - why would you think just her son could go in? Deaf doesn't make you immobile. The report said that she could communicate by lip reading and that she was articulate in her speech - so she was also capable - if it was even open, which it probably wasn't.

The point is, drive thru is a convenience that many people use, and if someone wants to use it, they should be able to use it without issue.

The worker had nothing better to do - so they could argue for 2 hours without a problem. As for the people in the car - sometimes it's the principle of the matter. I would have recorded this fool for a few minutes just to give the manager something to look at the next day, and then I would have gone to another restaurant.

I don't agree with her suing the restaurant, however. They immediately fired the employee - problem resolved.

And I also don't agree with her losing her ish by screaming at the guy, "I'M DEAF!!!!!!" That isn't going to help things, lady. Being frustrated, sure, understood, but screaming like that never makes the situation better, and makes everyone look stupid in the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events