U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 07:50 AM

871 posts, read 1,464,884 times

Advertisements

I've played plenty of sports and was always asked by the coach what size I needed in uniform. The coach then encouraged us to try on the uniform in the locker room or at home. If there were any size issues, we had a week or two before an actual meet in order to change out our uniforms. I've never had my body sized up by the coach and made to wear a size deemed worthy by them. I've never heard of someone going to a coach to get a different size and being denied.

I'm also wondering how this girl's name and smiling picture got into national news so quickly.

One thing that bothers me is not that young girls push the boundaries on exposing themselves, they are just imitating what they see in pop culture, but that there is a legion of adults who now defend and encourage underage girls to remain steadfast in their "right" to expose themselves.

It's like adults have lost sensibility and reason. The entitlement generation is supported by an increasing number of adults. When my 13 year old niece came down to go to school one day with a low cut shirt, I didn't cave in to her, I just said go change your shirt, you can't wear that to school. Another day she came with running shorts and I said, go change your shorts, you can't wear those to school. She rolled her eyes and went back to change. Adults don't seem to want to do this anymore and jump to defending their exposed child. Now that racism is the new hot topic, enforcing a dress code that protects minors from exposing themselves is now racist.

I say shame on adults who defend underage girls exposing themselves, worse, making really lame arguments such as racism or that it's impossible to find clothes that fit. I've seen overweight women at pools who manage to find suits that look appropriate for their body type. If the coach refused to find this girl a swimsuit that didn't leave her exposing herself, then he should be on the chopping block. Why didn't the parents step in and demand a proper fitting swimsuit?

Kudos to the judge for trying to enforce the rules, realizing this swimmer has had multiple warnings. It's obvious the swimmer or coach or family will not follow the rules of their own accord and need some motivation to find a proper fitting swimsuit. Next time, they hopefully just don't allow her to compete until she puts on a swimsuit that fits. I imagine she'll find one pretty quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 08:24 AM

21,631 posts, read 17,162,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Where the heck is the girl's mother in all this? Hasn't this girl ever been told that swimming with a wedgie isn't appropriate in a high school pool, whether it's done competitively or not?
Again the girl was issued the suit by the school and had to wear it. Also if you watch the Olympics they often get wedgies while kicking and swimming. They’re always pulling it back over their cheek as they walk out.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I've played plenty of sports and was always asked by the coach what size I needed in uniform. The coach then encouraged us to try on the uniform in the locker room or at home. If there were any size issues, we had a week or two before an actual meet in order to change out our uniforms. I've never had my body sized up by the coach and made to wear a size deemed worthy by them. I've never heard of someone going to a coach to get a different size and being denied.

I'm also wondering how this girl's name and smiling picture got into national news so quickly.

One thing that bothers me is not that young girls push the boundaries on exposing themselves, they are just imitating what they see in pop culture, but that there is a legion of adults who now defend and encourage underage girls to remain steadfast in their "right" to expose themselves.

It's like adults have lost sensibility and reason. The entitlement generation is supported by an increasing number of adults. When my 13 year old niece came down to go to school one day with a low cut shirt, I didn't cave in to her, I just said go change your shirt, you can't wear that to school. Another day she came with running shorts and I said, go change your shorts, you can't wear those to school. She rolled her eyes and went back to change. Adults don't seem to want to do this anymore and jump to defending their exposed child. Now that racism is the new hot topic, enforcing a dress code that protects minors from exposing themselves is now racist.

I say shame on adults who defend underage girls exposing themselves, worse, making really lame arguments such as racism or that it's impossible to find clothes that fit. I've seen overweight women at pools who manage to find suits that look appropriate for their body type. If the coach refused to find this girl a swimsuit that didn't leave her exposing herself, then he should be on the chopping block. Why didn't the parents step in and demand a proper fitting swimsuit?

Kudos to the judge for trying to enforce the rules, realizing this swimmer has had multiple warnings. It's obvious the swimmer or coach or family will not follow the rules of their own accord and need some motivation to find a proper fitting swimsuit. Next time, they hopefully just don't allow her to compete until she puts on a swimsuit that fits. I imagine she'll find one pretty quick.
Again it’s a school issued uniform, their responsibility to make sure it fits if she’s required to wear it, as she is.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:34 AM

7,012 posts, read 4,356,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again the girl was issued the suit by the school and had to wear it.
Actually, we have no idea if the girl was told "Here's your suit, you have to wear this one, you can't have a different size."

However, we do have evidence that the coach was aware that the amount of skin that suit left exposed was considered inappropriate (it had happened in at least one previous season). It would have been a little extra work and expense to get a larger suit and alter it. To me, as a former coach myself, it sounds like the coach may have been lazy and was just hoping her athlete wouldn't get called on it again or that if she did, it could be blamed on "racism" or "body shaming." Which is, apparently, what did happen.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Actually, we have no idea if the girl was told "Here's your suit, you have to wear this one, you can't have a different size."

However, we do have evidence that the coach was aware that the amount of skin that suit left exposed was considered inappropriate (it had happened in at least one previous season). It would have been a little extra work and expense to get a larger suit and alter it. To me, as a former coach myself, it sounds like the coach may have been lazy and was just hoping her athlete wouldn't get called on it again or that if she did, it could be blamed on "racism" or "body shaming." Which is, apparently, what did happen.
Sorry I disagree with the way they handled it. Again if they were aware of it, then tell the coach she can’t race. The way they did it, allowing her to race and win the match, then strip her of the win when she gets out is not only shaming its humiliating and mean.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:14 AM

17,608 posts, read 17,884,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

However, we do have evidence that the coach was aware that the amount of skin that suit left exposed was considered inappropriate (it had happened in at least one previous season).
It would have been a little extra work and expense to get a larger suit and alter it. To me, as a former coach myself, it sounds like the coach may have been lazy and was just hoping her athlete wouldn't get called on it again or that if she did, it could be blamed on "racism" or "body shaming." Which is, apparently, what did happen.
That's what I was thinking, too.

It is possible that the suit design just didn't match the girl's body shape at all and they would have needed to buy a much, much larger suit and almost make the complete swim suit from scratch to have it match the uniforms that the other girls were wearing. But, if that was the case then they should have done that,

Old 09-15-2019, 10:22 AM

9,845 posts, read 5,946,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Apparently the issue occurred during the race.

Seems to me, just out of a kindness to the swimmers, they should have bathing suits that resemble short bike shorts. That way, no one would have to be self-conscious during an athletic competition that they're revealing too much.

I'm really surprised that olympics outfits aren't more modest too, considering the workouts those girls get flipping around. I would think the real possibility that the tiny outfit is going to shift significantly would be a real distraction to the young athletes.

Extra fabric leads to drag. Suits for competitive swimmers are meant to be tight and as light weight as possible.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:05 PM

6,756 posts, read 3,785,057 times
Now I see why the original Olympians were said to have competed naked.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:18 PM

32,592 posts, read 37,248,330 times
Wonder if they just did not like her having a Womans body in a world of developing young teens.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:17 PM

7,012 posts, read 4,356,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Wonder if they just did not like her having a Womans body in a world of developing young teens.
No, that isn't it.

In certain situations, there is a dress code. There are specific rules about how much skin can be exposed, or whether parts of underwear can be visible, etc. Some people naturally have body shapes and sizes that enable them to buy suitable clothes right off the rack and meet the dress code. Lucky for them. Others need to make some alterations. That's just their tough luck.

Believe me, I get it. I have a tall (5'10") but slim daughter who attended a private high school where uniform skirts and prom dresses, etc., were required to be within a certain distance of the knee. The short girls in her class had no trouble finding appropriate clothes. My daughter had an awful time. If a dress fit her on top, it barely covered her rear end. If it was long enough, it was big all over and hung like a sack.

So what did we do? Let her wear the too-short but otherwise well-fitting dress and, when she was dress-coded and sent home for wearing a dress that ended 12 inches above the knee, complain that

"She is being body shamed"

"This school just doesn't like her having a tall body in a world of short bodies"

"The administrators seem to be taking an unhealthy interest in young girls' bodies"

No, we bought the larger dress and had it altered. We learned a long time ago that life isn't perfectly fair and equally easy for everyone in every regard. We are not doing young people any favor by tell them otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or