U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 04:15 PM

10 posts, read 1,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No, that isn't it.

In certain situations, there is a dress code. There are specific rules about how much skin can be exposed, or whether parts of underwear can be visible, etc. Some people naturally have body shapes and sizes that enable them to buy suitable clothes right off the rack and meet the dress code. Lucky for them. Others need to make some alterations. That's just their tough luck.

Believe me, I get it. I have a tall (5'10") but slim daughter who attended a private high school where uniform skirts and prom dresses, etc., were required to be within a certain distance of the knee. The short girls in her class had no trouble finding appropriate clothes. My daughter had an awful time. If a dress fit her on top, it barely covered her rear end. If it was long enough, it was big all over and hung like a sack.

So what did we do? Let her wear the too-short but otherwise well-fitting dress and, when she was dress-coded and sent home for wearing a dress that ended 12 inches above the knee, complain that

"She is being body shamed"

"This school just doesn't like her having a tall body in a world of short bodies"

"The administrators seem to be taking an unhealthy interest in young girls' bodies"

No, we bought the larger dress and had it altered. We learned a long time ago that life isn't perfectly fair and equally easy for everyone in every regard. We are not doing young people any favor by tell them otherwise.
The equivalent scenario would be your daughter goes to school in a knee length appropriate skirt, and while sitting down it rides up. So when she stands up it is no longer in the correct position. The principal, instead of giving her the chance to adjust her skirt, suspends her.

That would be apples to apples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 04:36 PM

1,015 posts, read 356,343 times
This whole thread feels like I stepped back into 1958 or something.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:48 PM

10,520 posts, read 6,511,118 times
Wow, this is messed up, it's not the kid's fault.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:34 PM

14,905 posts, read 8,747,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have never in my life found a suit (of any size) that didn't ride up my butt when I was full-out swimming super hard/fast.

I mean, why are there these stupid rules, anyway?! No one is gonna pop out a boob or testicle or whatever on purpose.
It's SPORTS, fgs.
This and I'm a shortie who did the competition swim thing many years ago. Speedos and other racing suits tend to do that. Brecklynn Willis hadn't been DQ'ed before and she was probably wearing the same suit in various competitions previously.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:34 AM

7,834 posts, read 16,330,127 times
Longtime competitive swimmer here- no you cannot just get a bigger suit and alter it because the point of a racing suit is to compress everything as tightly as possible and the alteration points would introduce more drag into the mix. There are also actual rules banning altering the kind of tech suits you see in the Olympic level- in order to keep it from being about the athlete and not the uniform so much, each swimsuit must be approved by a technical panel and you cannot make changes to it once the technical panel approves it.

Since you can only really use a suit for one season or less- it stretches out and starts causing a negative performance impact after a few uses- teams try to use bulk buying power to keep it as cheap as possible and everyone gets the same brand of suit in a given year. Different suit manufacturers use different fit models. As a small-chested woman, I strongly preferred it when we were using Speedo that season because they use a B cup fit model, while other companies like Tyr used a C cup standard. I'd actually have to go down a size if we were ordering Tyr in the name of proper chest compression, and yeah, in order to get proper front coverage, I'm sure that someone would have said that the backside was now 'too tight'.

Brightly colored and patterned swimsuits are more fun to wear than boring black or navy blue. But it's probably more ideal for a team to just specify a boring black or navy blue suit, let the swimmer pick from a few different suit manufacturers to get the best fit option for them, and then go with an interesting printed cap and pool deck clothing as the fun part of meet day apparel.

Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM

30 posts, read 25,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Longtime competitive swimmer here- no you cannot just get a bigger suit and alter it because the point of a racing suit is to compress everything as tightly as possible and the alteration points would introduce more drag into the mix. There are also actual rules banning altering the kind of tech suits you see in the Olympic level- in order to keep it from being about the athlete and not the uniform so much, each swimsuit must be approved by a technical panel and you cannot make changes to it once the technical panel approves it.

Since you can only really use a suit for one season or less- it stretches out and starts causing a negative performance impact after a few uses- teams try to use bulk buying power to keep it as cheap as possible and everyone gets the same brand of suit in a given year. Different suit manufacturers use different fit models. As a small-chested woman, I strongly preferred it when we were using Speedo that season because they use a B cup fit model, while other companies like Tyr used a C cup standard. I'd actually have to go down a size if we were ordering Tyr in the name of proper chest compression, and yeah, in order to get proper front coverage, I'm sure that someone would have said that the backside was now 'too tight'.

Brightly colored and patterned swimsuits are more fun to wear than boring black or navy blue. But it's probably more ideal for a team to just specify a boring black or navy blue suit, let the swimmer pick from a few different suit manufacturers to get the best fit option for them, and then go with an interesting printed cap and pool deck clothing as the fun part of meet day apparel.

/end thread

Most bathing suits on women will cause wedgies after swimming. Deal with it.

Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM

391 posts, read 407,027 times
I read an original story about this swimmer. It mentioned that the judge only officiated the last race that the swimmer was in. She was a substitute and the previous judge apparently did not have any problem with the swimmer. The suits were bought this year (all the swimmers from the school wore the same suit) after some of the swimmers had problems with suits riding up last year.

Old Today, 05:39 AM

8,571 posts, read 6,425,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Apparently the issue occurred during the race.

Seems to me, just out of a kindness to the swimmers, they should have bathing suits that resemble short bike shorts. That way, no one would have to be self-conscious during an athletic competition that they're revealing too much.

I'm really surprised that olympics outfits aren't more modest too, considering the workouts those girls get flipping around. I would think the real possibility that the tiny outfit is going to shift significantly would be a real distraction to the young athletes.
I always thought they were pretty modest, the Women's swimmers wear suits that resemble wrestling singlets...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or