Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 10:10 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Instead of "stripping credentials" from the female race official who disqualified her, they should ensure that swimsuits fit, even if it means [gasp!] that a larger size is needed.

Wear suits that fit; problem solved.
It was a school-issued swimsuit. If you've ever tried on suits at the mall, you're probably aware that even with different "sizes" the same suit design might fit one person's body quite differently than another's.

Also, when you're in the middle of a highly athletic event (like swimming), the suit could certainly shift position when the swimmer is unable to adjust it. Certainly, the school should probably look at which suits they order. But they probably don't have limitless choices, and again, what works for one person may create a problem for another. This is a problem for any school staff ordering uniforms, whether it's for marching band, choir, sports, etc. The focus should be on the sport/event, not the outfit. If there's an issue, discuss with the coach. Disqualifying and trying to embarrass this young athlete was out of line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 10:47 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

It has happened in international gymnastics competitions that individuals and teams have been marked down or disqualified for how their leotards fit. I believe it was several Chinese women who were penalized for having leotards that were too high-cut on the thigh. There are regulations about that, and the coach and gymnast need to make sure they are within the dress code.
You should see the photos of Katelyn Ohashi from the recent Aurora Games. Her leotard looked to be at least 2 sizes too small.

Here's a perfect example:

https://images.app.goo.gl/H21a6HcUtM9gbv7g6

The traditional boyleg leotards look a lot better than the high cut ones. You didn't see Korbut, Comaneci, or Tourischeva pulling wedgies out of their rear ends back in the 1970's.

As for the swimmers, I don't know why they couldn't wear the newer unitard-style suits. That would solve the entire problem.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:17 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
This is so lame. I used to swim competitively & my suit always rode up more than the other girls' suits did because I was 5'10" by the time I was 13. One-piece suits are not designed for women over 5'7", no matter who the manufacturer is. * Editing to add that even a short woman with a long torso would have a similar issue. It's really all about the length, not the width.

You can only go so many sizes larger before your breasts start to come out of the armholes & the drag from the water in a billowing suit affects your performance.

Last edited by coschristi; 09-13-2019 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: to add

Old 09-13-2019, 11:26 AM

43,093 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Instead of "stripping credentials" from the female race official who disqualified her, they should ensure that swimsuits fit, even if it means [gasp!] that a larger size is needed.

And the nonsense about her being disqualified "for having a curvier figure" is a lot of hooey. I notice we aren't seeing any pictures , but it's reported that the bottom looked like a "wedgie," with her butt cheeks touching. IOW It was a bit cheeky.

And BTW the disqualification was overturned on a technicality: that the official failed to notify the swimmer's coach before the disqualification.

Wear suits that fit; problem solved.
It may very well have been the cut of the suit itself..not her wearing the wrong size.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:41 AM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
This is so lame. I used to swim competitively & my suit always rode up more than the other girls' suits did because I was 5'10" by the time I was 13. One-piece suits are not designed for women over 5'7", no matter who the manufacturer is.

You can only go so many sizes larger before your breasts start to come out of the armholes & the drag from the water in a billowing suit affects your performance.
That's why I said that, if necessary, she should have gotten a larger size and had it altered to fit. Not everyone can wear clothes straight off the rack, but if the suit gave her a "wedgie," it was inappropriate for a swim meet. Saying "Oh well, she is 'curvy' so there is no way for her swimsuit to comply with the regulations" is just a copout.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:55 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
That's why I said that, if necessary, she should have gotten a larger size and had it altered to fit. Not everyone can wear clothes straight off the rack, but if the suit gave her a "wedgie," it was inappropriate for a swim meet. Saying "Oh well, she is 'curvy' so there is no way for her swimsuit to comply with the regulations" is just a copout.
This is true, wedgies could affect the performance as well. I have an unfortunate lifetime experience with wedgies as a tall female & they are uncomfortable & unhealthy.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:46 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Seeing pictures of an underaged girl in a supposed sexually compromising position? If the swimming official was correct in judgement then the publisher of the pictures would be on the borderline of committing a crime
Sexualized 15-year-old girls is a common thing in anime and manga.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:50 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
It sounds like that swimmer needed a different size swimsuit. She shouldn't have been disqualified for something that was not her fault, but if there is a code about what body parts have to be covered during a swim meet, the coach needs to make sure each team member is in compliance. Saying someone is curvier and therefore her rear end (or whatever) just can't be fully covered isn't a very good excuse.

It has happened in international gymnastics competitions that individuals and teams have been marked down or disqualified for how their leotards fit. I believe it was several Chinese women who were penalized for having leotards that were too high-cut on the thigh. There are regulations about that, and the coach and gymnast need to make sure they are within the dress code.

OK but...

The referee was supposed to make sure the team was in compliance BEFORE the race. She did not do that, and as the district said, had misapplied the rule.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:09 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
The story linked is also saying this specific female judge has been targeting this gal and her sister; they feel because the girls are mixed.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:14 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I have never in my life found a suit (of any size) that didn't ride up my butt when I was full-out swimming super hard/fast.

I mean, why are there these stupid rules, anyway?! No one is gonna pop out a boob or testicle or whatever on purpose.
It's SPORTS, fgs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events