U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM

10,968 posts, read 4,457,510 times

Advertisements

Amazing. This story was also carried on CNN, but this article offers more details.

After an appeal, her victory and the team's points were reinstated.

Hopefully, they will succeed in getting the judge credentials stripped from this judge.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ile-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM

6,964 posts, read 4,314,414 times
It sounds like that swimmer needed a different size swimsuit. She shouldn't have been disqualified for something that was not her fault, but if there is a code about what body parts have to be covered during a swim meet, the coach needs to make sure each team member is in compliance. Saying someone is curvier and therefore her rear end (or whatever) just can't be fully covered isn't a very good excuse.

It has happened in international gymnastics competitions that individuals and teams have been marked down or disqualified for how their leotards fit. I believe it was several Chinese women who were penalized for having leotards that were too high-cut on the thigh. There are regulations about that, and the coach and gymnast need to make sure they are within the dress code.

Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM

33,224 posts, read 16,978,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It sounds like that swimmer needed a different size swimsuit. She shouldn't have been disqualified for something that was not her fault, but if there is a code about what body parts have to be covered during a swim meet, the coach needs to make sure each team member is in compliance. Saying someone is curvier and therefore her rear end (or whatever) just can't be fully covered isn't a very good excuse.

It has happened in international gymnastics competitions that individuals and teams have been marked down or disqualified for how their leotards fit. I believe it was several Chinese women who were penalized for having leotards that were too high-cut on the thigh. There are regulations about that, and the coach and gymnast need to make sure they are within the dress code.
One would think that an official would be able to alert a coach before the race. I sail, and I have a deep-seated dislike for people who rules-lawyer on equipment technicalities after the race.

Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM

6,964 posts, read 4,314,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
One would think that an official would be able to alert a coach before the race. I sail, and I have a deep-seated dislike for people who rules-lawyer on equipment technicalities after the race.
Oh, absolutely. The coach should have been notified beforehand, and frankly the coach should have NOTICED beforehand without being told. I was a gymnastics coach for many years, and it was part of my job to make sure the team members were dressed appropriately for every meet, including but not limited to a properly fitting leotard with no underwear or bra straps showing. After you've had one gymnast lose points for tugging on her leotard during a routine, you never want that to happen again.

If this athlete was between swimsuit sizes, the right thing to do would have been to get her a larger size and get it altered to fit. And it was totally on the coach to make sure that happened.

36,739 posts, read 10,879,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Amazing. This story was also carried on CNN, but this article offers more details.

Hopefully, they will succeed in getting the judge credentials stripped from this judge.

Instead of "stripping credentials" from the female race official who disqualified her, they should ensure that swimsuits fit, even if it means [gasp!] that a larger size is needed.

And the nonsense about her being disqualified "for having a curvier figure" is a lot of hooey. I notice we aren't seeing any pictures , but it's reported that the bottom looked like a "wedgie," with her butt cheeks touching. IOW It was a bit cheeky.

And BTW the disqualification was overturned on a technicality: that the official failed to notify the swimmer's coach before the disqualification.

Wear suits that fit; problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Apparently the issue occurred during the race.

Seems to me, just out of a kindness to the swimmers, they should have bathing suits that resemble short bike shorts. That way, no one would have to be self-conscious during an athletic competition that they're revealing too much.

I'm really surprised that olympics outfits aren't more modest too, considering the workouts those girls get flipping around. I would think the real possibility that the tiny outfit is going to shift significantly would be a real distraction to the young athletes.

Old Today, 08:49 AM

6,728 posts, read 3,760,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Instead of "stripping credentials" from the female race official who disqualified her, they should ensure that swimsuits fit, even if it means [gasp!] that a larger size is needed.

And the nonsense about her being disqualified "for having a curvier figure" is a lot of hooey. I notice we aren't seeing any pictures , but it's reported that the bottom looked like a "wedgie," with her butt cheeks touching. IOW It was a bit cheeky.

And BTW the disqualification was overturned on a technicality: that the official failed to notify the swimmer's coach before the disqualification.

Seeing pictures of an underaged girl in a supposed sexually compromising position? If the swimming official was correct in judgement then the publisher of the pictures would be on the borderline of committing a crime

Old Today, 08:52 AM

4,231 posts, read 4,227,019 times
Quote:

They do need to get rid of that judge. Something tells me he may have some serious issues.

Old Today, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

*blinks into screen*

Did you actually expect to see photos of an underage girl's buttocks in a news article?

Old Today, 09:09 AM

10,081 posts, read 6,940,125 times
Quote:
*blinks into screen*

Did you actually expect to see photos of an underage girl's buttocks in a news article?
LOL. Wondering the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or