U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM

5,741 posts, read 2,491,740 times

Advertisements

2weeks. 2 whole weeks. Lawd...how will she ever survive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM

14,119 posts, read 8,832,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307
Yeah. I go along with that.
She Cowboyed Up. Can't say that for a whole lot of people these days.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
2 weeks in jail.............bring a few scripts, she will be busy next year acting!

Martha Stewart went to jail for 5 months!
Martha Stewart plead not guilty. She was offered probation if she plead guilty to only one count, but she thought she could beat the deal.
So she went to trial, spent a lot of money and wasted everyone's time.
I prefer Huffman's approach.

Old Today, 02:36 AM

10,460 posts, read 6,480,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Agreed. I don’t personally think she deserves to go to jail over this. I think it would’ve been better to just order her and Lori to pay the 4-year tuition for a “deserving” student or something.
Exactly, who got aced out that year? Who's place did her daughter steal? 4 year tuition would have been a more suitable penalty.

Old Today, 05:34 AM

160 posts, read 56,337 times
I've never worked in the legal system and have no idea if the sentence equals the crime. While what she did was wrong, I've admired the way she handled herself. She admitted her guilt, apologized and accepted her sentence with grace. I would imagine she's devastated and this has been extremely difficult. The way she handled this was in stark contrast to Lori Loughlin, who either didn't understand the seriousness of the charges or thought maybe she could make them go away without any kind of sentence. They have money and maybe she thought all she'd get was a fine and she could pay that and skip away with a slap on the hand.

I would hope Felicity Huffman's husband and family stand behind her, but relationships can be damaged during stressful times, particularly when there is deceit involved, however, well intentioned she may have been.

Old Today, 06:27 AM

21,495 posts, read 17,087,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Agreed. I don’t personally think she deserves to go to jail over this. I think it would’ve been better to just order her and Lori to pay the 4-year tuition for a “deserving” student or something.
I don’t think they should be lumped together. Lori’s monetary amounts are much much higher than Felicity’s, and she is denying guilt. Felicity admitted guilt from the very get-go while Lori is still fighting it. Lorie should definitely get a more severe sentence than Felicity. I don’t really think it was a jailable offense either. I think donating lots and lots of money to needy students would be a better punishment. I think they only gave her a jail sentence to try to make it appear that the rich are held to account as well as the rest of us.

Old Today, 06:29 AM

21,495 posts, read 17,087,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Strangely enough, in the case of using money to get one's children into a prestigious school, being blatant makes it okay. You know, dig deeper in your pockets and make a donation out in the open. Then one becomes a benefactor instead of a felon
But those people donate money to the college itself, not to individuals at the college. At least other students will benefit from a new library or other building that comes from that donation. No student is going to benefit from the tennis or sailing coach being given $100,000 except the child on whose behalf it was given.

Old Today, 08:13 AM

43,794 posts, read 53,316,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://www.usnews.com/news/entertai...eme-sentencing

While I am appalled at the chicanery employed to obtain students’ admission to universities whether they qualify or not, I have to say I admire Huffman’s decision to admit guilt and face punishment. I doubt this was easy to do.

Of course, this is a crime involving money, and she has the money to pay her substantial fine. And she will do only two weeks in jail. She will be on probation, and I suppose that will limit her freedom for longer.

She apologized to her family for her crime.

I don’t know how fair her sentence is. Someone who can afford to pay to have her daughter’s test proctored, and results enhanced, can certainly pay the fine. So her sentence is not comparable to a sentence meted out to someone who is poor. This crime is by definition, a crime committed by a wealthy person. I am glad she is being punished. I hope others who have done similar things are tried and sentenced.
Weird that Macy (her husband) knew about it, abetted it, and he's not charged.

Old Today, 08:37 AM

1,835 posts, read 859,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Weird that Macy (her husband) knew about it, abetted it, and he's not charged.
There apparently wasn't enough evidence that he committed a crime. Otherwise, he would have had his own perp walk and time in the dock.

Old Today, 08:44 AM

43,794 posts, read 53,316,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
There apparently wasn't enough evidence that he committed a crime. Otherwise, he would have had his own perp walk and time in the dock.
He met with the owner of the testing company, they "donated" $15k, knew about everything.

What you say makes sense, but I don't see how she's more guilty than he is.

Old Today, 09:00 AM

23,925 posts, read 10,852,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
She is a joke.
That's a rather meaningless sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or