U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM

23,927 posts, read 10,861,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
honestly, I don't agree, really, with her getting any jail time. Gonna cost money that could be better spent elsewhere. In the realm of serious crimes.. This one doesn't really call for prison time.

As for her being on probation, or "Supervised Release" as it's known in the Federal system.. She'll have to report in once a month.. That's about it. have to get permission to leave the country. Her PO likely won't even come by her house. He's going to have plenty of other people on his books that need far more monitoring. He'll drug test her once at the start and if he feels snarky may make her take another one.

Someone who is poor.. IN THEORY.. Would have gotten the exact same sentence, without the fine. Because they would have an inability to pay the fine. Fines and prison time are not interchangeable. You can't raise the fine and lower the prison time.. At least, that's not how it's supposed to work and most federal judges.. Are really pretty fair people.
I tend to agree with you. Jail and prison time should, in my view, be reserved for people who are literally a danger to society. I don't place this in that category.

But I do think she deserves to be punished. Just not sure what is appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

23,927 posts, read 10,861,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Agreed. I don’t personally think she deserves to go to jail over this. I think it would’ve been better to just order her and Lori to pay the 4-year tuition for a “deserving” student or something.
I like that.

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

11,354 posts, read 2,980,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Right. Insider trading is done all the time by the very wealthy too, but if you are too blatant they will punish you to make it appear the system is fair to all.
Or if 'they' are not getting their part of the pie!

I would bet my next paycheck, had Loughlin donated money to some PAC or some other political fundraiser, she would not be in this mess.

I agree with the other poster, its common knowledge that this kind of thing goes on.

Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM

10,462 posts, read 6,483,548 times
It just seems like a really light sentence.

Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM

1,838 posts, read 861,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
He met with the owner of the testing company, they "donated" $15k, knew about everything.

What you say makes sense, but I don't see how she's more guilty than he is.
It's more a matter of what can be proved in court beyond a reasonable doubt. Federal prosecutors typically only charge someone they think they can convict. Local prosecutors have a more "charge them all and let the jury sort it out" approach.

Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM

22,664 posts, read 14,876,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Exactly, who got aced out that year? Who's place did her daughter steal? 4 year tuition would have been a more suitable penalty.
Except that there likely is not a provision for that kind of fine. Her fine will go to either state or the Feds, most likely. I doubt the legality of applying her fine to someone else’s tuition.

Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM

22,664 posts, read 14,876,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Or if 'they' are not getting their part of the pie!

I would bet my next paycheck, had Loughlin donated money to some PAC or some other political fundraiser, she would not be in this mess.

I agree with the other poster, its common knowledge that this kind of thing goes on.
Defendant is not so rich that she could offer enough of a contribution to influence her daughter’s admission. What she was trying to do was goose daughter’s ACT scores by having someone correct her answers. At least that is my understanding. She is only a small part of a conspiracy that involved bribery and money laundering.

Higher ed has become a racket, IMO. This is just a reflection of that. Again, my opinion.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

21,501 posts, read 17,093,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Rich parents use their money to get their kids into special schools all the time. It will be totally wrong for her and her husband to go to prison on this. The government upped the charges against them for not caving initially. It's become some kind of an agenda. They want to teach them a lesson and use them as an example at the same time.
She’s going to prison for mail fraud, for using the US mail to defraud the IRS. That’s what all of them are charged with. First of all they did not donate money to a school, they donated money to individuals at the school to go along with their deception with test taking or that that their child was going to be a rower or a tennis player or a pole vaulter etc. But even that is not what they were charged with. They laundered the bribe money through a fake charity and deducted it from their income taxes as a charitable deduction. They mailed those checks to the fake charity through the US mail. That is what they are going to jail for.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; Yesterday at 10:36 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

225 posts, read 116,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://www.usnews.com/news/entertai...eme-sentencing

While I am appalled at the chicanery employed to obtain students’ admission to universities whether they qualify or not, I have to say I admire Huffman’s decision to admit guilt and face punishment. I doubt this was easy to do.

IMHO, there is literally nothing to admire here. She did something dishonorable and got caught red handed. She's entitled scum who would of continued being scum if not caught.

Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM

353 posts, read 295,314 times
The smartest thing she has done is to get it all over with quickly. What it's 6 months since her arrest?

Good lawyer. She can do her time and community service and move on with life.

Lori and Mossimo are trying for acquittal or technicality. They have money to burn. And their charges are far worse. But their lives are going to be a mess for a long long long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or