U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 07:11 PM

10,481 posts, read 6,487,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
She was just one of the very few to get caught, this type thingy is very common.
Which is why her sentence should have been a little tougher. People should not be doing this, it's not fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 07:32 PM

1,841 posts, read 862,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
Meanwhile people are sitting in jail rotting for much much less. Her and the courts are a sham. If she were brown and poor she would get 2 years
If she were poor, she wouldn't have been charged with this crime, since it involves a lot of money being offered to someone to not do their job correctly.

The answer is not to punish people with the resources to get a better lawyer more harshly, it's to punish the poor less severely.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:20 PM

5,246 posts, read 2,313,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
What I don't get is why this whole thing is somehow unique? Since ancient times, people with power, influence and money have ALWAYS used it to do the same things she has done, and even today it's an extremely common thing for the same kind of people to do, so why is she being singled out for something that happens all the time?
Because its still wrong and she got caught.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:20 PM

5,309 posts, read 2,439,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Someone who is poor.. IN THEORY.. Would have gotten the exact same sentence, without the fine. Because they would have an inability to pay the fine. Fines and prison time are not interchangeable. You can't raise the fine and lower the prison time.. At least, that's not how it's supposed to work and most federal judges.. Are really pretty fair people.
Our county judicial system will interchange money for time. It's something like 1 day = $75. I personally knew someone who had a $250 fine & literally asked the judge if he could just serve time instead.

He knew he couldn't afford the $250 & if he didn't pay it he wouldn't have been in compliance & would have to start all over again. He figured '3 hots & a cot' for 3 days wasn't that bad. Basically a long nap & you are done.

Obviously the feds have a different system.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:45 PM

8,244 posts, read 5,204,667 times
The real punishment in such circumstances isn’t the jail time or the fine, but federal felony record, which can not be sealed or expunged. This may not matter for “normal” criminals, but for professionals, for people with national/historical presence, it’s devastating. If you have a Wikipedia page as an actor, a financier, a politician, a lawyer, a corporate leader, a whatever… and then suddenly your page goes to “convicted felon”, that’s quite a destroyer of life and career.

Martha Stewart may have recovered, but look at people like Scooter Libby, and (soon) Michael Flynn. One could even argue, that the whole purpose of the indictment was neither to redress wrongs, or to rehabilitate, but to ruin a person’s professional life. Again, this might not matter for a rapper, or to a “bad boy” action-hero type. But imagine if this happens to an actor/actress whose character-type is the wholesome mom, the good neighbor, the redoubtable office-person. Those roles become impossible.

Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM

16,083 posts, read 12,518,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The real punishment in such circumstances isn’t the jail time or the fine, but federal felony record, which can not be sealed or expunged. This may not matter for “normal” criminals, but for professionals, for people with national/historical presence, it’s devastating. If you have a Wikipedia page as an actor, a financier, a politician, a lawyer, a corporate leader, a whatever… and then suddenly your page goes to “convicted felon”, that’s quite a destroyer of life and career.

Martha Stewart may have recovered, but look at people like Scooter Libby, and (soon) Michael Flynn. One could even argue, that the whole purpose of the indictment was neither to redress wrongs, or to rehabilitate, but to ruin a person’s professional life. Again, this might not matter for a rapper, or to a “bad boy” action-hero type. But imagine if this happens to an actor/actress whose character-type is the wholesome mom, the good neighbor, the redoubtable office-person. Those roles become impossible.
Excellent observations, my friend
Reminded me of the absolutely ruined careers of the actors and chefs
if there is even one hint (let alone 7) of any sexual improprieties...no court, no arrest, maybe
not even truth! Ha...just even a hint.

Mario P., the chef from The Chew, really did not get how bad this was...Oh, I have $14 million, I'm ok...then he kept trying
to get back on his feet...hasn't worked yet for him.
Ha, have you seen how thin Martha's mag is? No advertisers! And she is on some
little network teaching how to bake the best crusts now....not where she used to be.
And Stuart Smalley the Senator in Minn...I dunno if he can walk down the street?
Many don't have loving supportive families, either.

I'm not trying to make any judgment call here...just making a comparison. Thanks

Old Yesterday, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
To me, paying to have SAT results falsified is worse
than making a sizeable monetary donation to the school.
I agree...but when I just heard her daughter is bright, promising future...BUT, just her Math scores
that could have kept her out of that school-I got where Mom was coming from.

I'm sympathetic, tho, cuz I was so smart I was in a special class with 6
of us, but in Math? I suck, still !

Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why would you assume she would have problems with her marriage? They’ve been married for decades and seems to be a good marriage from the outside.
I’m sure he was somewhat aware of it. From all I can see he has stood beside her throughout. Why would the sentence change anything?
Why are you assuming I'm assuming? I just said good luck with the marriage...cuz statistically
upsets similar to these, and much less, place a strain on marriages...I hope they don't!
Some spouses forget to take out the trash
and they have fights for days and no you-know-what! I wouldn't know anything about that, tho.

Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM

17,007 posts, read 20,921,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I agree...but when I just heard her daughter is bright, promising future...BUT, just her Math scores
that could have kept her out of that school-I got where Mom was coming from.

I'm sympathetic, tho, cuz I was so smart I was in a special class with 6
of us, but in Math? I suck, still !
LOL..please.

How about some empathy for the young person whose spot was taken by this cheating?

The daughter is the child of two very rich famous people, she could get a part time job waiting tables, she would still have more money than she ever needs.

Try having some empathy for those students whose spot was taken by all these frauds. How their lives have been impacted.

Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM

5,246 posts, read 2,313,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LOL..please.

How about some empathy for the young person whose spot was taken by this cheating?

The daughter is the child of two very rich famous people, she could get a part time job waiting tables, she would still have more money than she ever needs.

Try having some empathy for those students whose spot was taken by all these frauds. How their lives have been impacted.
This^ exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or