U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 07:49 AM

14,126 posts, read 6,768,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If you are talking about Lori and her husband, they never made a donation to the school, only bribes to individuals such as the rowing coach. The schools weren’t involved as a whole, the mastermind, the guy Singer was the go between and set up the false charity and told them how much to put in to pay off various individual people, but no amount was actually donated to anything or anyone.

To me falsifying SATs is bad but photoshopping your kids so they appear to be rowing crew when they have never done that, and paying the coach off to claim they are being “recruited” for the team is worse.
Nobody said they donated to the school. I think you jumped the gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 08:16 AM

21,524 posts, read 17,106,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Excellent observations, my friend
Reminded me of the absolutely ruined careers of the actors and chefs
if there is even one hint (let alone 7) of any sexual improprieties...no court, no arrest, maybe
not even truth! Ha...just even a hint.

Mario P., the chef from The Chew, really did not get how bad this was...Oh, I have $14 million, I'm ok...then he kept trying
to get back on his feet...hasn't worked yet for him.
Ha, have you seen how thin Martha's mag is? No advertisers! And she is on some
little network teaching how to bake the best crusts now....not where she used to be.
And Stuart Smalley the Senator in Minn...I dunno if he can walk down the street?
Many don't have loving supportive families, either.

I'm not trying to make any judgment call here...just making a comparison. Thanks
I agree with your post in general but I think Martha Stewart is doing just fine. She became almost cool in the eyes of youth, and if you ever see her on Comedy Central roasts she is hilarious. I never thought I’d see a day when Martha and Snoop Dog would have a cooking show again. I think magazine advertising has fallen off for all magazines, that’s why Newsweek went to digital only

Old 09-15-2019, 08:19 AM

21,524 posts, read 17,106,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Someone posted that they thought was Felicity did was worse than “making a large donation to a school” in response to a post about what sentence Lori might get. Actually here is the post directly quoted:

“To me, paying to have SAT results falsified is worse than making a sizeable monetary donation to the school.”.

A couple of other people have said it’s the same as what all rich people do in donating to a school to get their kids in. I don t know at all that everyone knows this.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-15-2019 at 09:04 AM..

Old 09-15-2019, 09:02 AM

22,714 posts, read 14,893,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Loughlin is now defending herself by saying their actions were donations, or like donations. I read this somewhere. Sorry—don’t have the link.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:18 AM

15,410 posts, read 8,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I tend to agree with you. Jail and prison time should, in my view, be reserved for people who are literally a danger to society. I don't place this in that category.

But I do think she deserves to be punished. Just not sure what is appropriate.
I agree that there's little reason to support jail time for this type of crime except it might be a deterrent for rich folks committing white collar crime who are used to paying a bit more in fines on the off chance they actually get caught.

I admit I'd like to see retribution for all the poor folks getting jail time for next to nothing... If you're rich, paying a few more dollars is NOTHING. What hurts more than that? THAT is the key to deterrence - finding the most painful stick and making it well known what those consequences are to anyone else contemplating the same.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:51 PM

5,842 posts, read 5,281,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Agreed. I don’t personally think she deserves to go to jail over this. I think it would’ve been better to just order her and Lori to pay the 4-year tuition for a “deserving” student or something.
I like the jail time - it will make an impression that nothing else can make.

But I LOVE the idea of requiring the guilty parties to pay tuition for a large number of students, though it needs to NOT be a tax exempt donation to a university. Instead, both families should meet specific students, learn their stories, and pay their expenses directly. It would be nice if they did this for students who go to smaller less known schools, such as Tribal colleges.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:09 PM

1,124 posts, read 303,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Loughlin is now defending herself by saying their actions were donations, or like donations. I read this somewhere. Sorry—don’t have the link.
This link below explains the donation arrangement. I believe Loughlin and husband made donations to this foundation (ironically designed to benefit underprivileged students) and a key element will be if the government can prove they personally benefited from the donation as "bribe funds".

Huffman also utilized this scheme.

"Huffman pleaded guilty in May to honest services fraud for “donating” $15,000 to a fake charity used by William “Rick” Singer, the organizer behind a massive scheme to get students into prestigious colleges by bribing college officials and tampering with test results". https://slate.com/culture/2019/09/fe...al-letters.htm

THere may be IRS issues for those who took charitable donation tax deductions.

"In the Varsity Blues Operations case, the Charity - The Key Worldwide Foundation (KWF) – (a non-profit corporation based in Newport Beach, California) - was an IRS approved exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. This means that the charity (KWF) is exempt from paying federal income tax, and that individuals who contribute to KWF may deduct those contributions from their taxable income. In fact, KWF can be found on the IRS search tool for legitimate charities. According to KWF IRS Form 990 (Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax), KWF described its mission as “to provide education that would normally be unattainable to underprivileged students”. KWF was receiving bribery funds and in turn was disbursing funds to pay off the bribes. The bribe payments “funneled” through the accounts of KWF were disguised as “donations”. "

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/va...d-how-a-41034/

Last edited by Maddie104; 09-15-2019 at 02:37 PM..

Old 09-15-2019, 05:48 PM

1,723 posts, read 496,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
The smartest thing she has done is to get it all over with quickly. What it's 6 months since her arrest?

Good lawyer. She can do her time and community service and move on with life.

Lori and Mossimo are trying for acquittal or technicality. They have money to burn. And their charges are far worse. But their lives are going to be a mess for a long long long time.
I agree , try and work out a deal and get on with it. They’ll be fighting this for the next two years and still end up losing.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:08 PM

5,254 posts, read 2,315,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I like the jail time - it will make an impression that nothing else can make.

But I LOVE the idea of requiring the guilty parties to pay tuition for a large number of students, though it needs to NOT be a tax exempt donation to a university. Instead, both families should meet specific students, learn their stories, and pay their expenses directly. It would be nice if they did this for students who go to smaller less known schools, such as Tribal colleges.
I said this in an earlier thread...……….Take all fines from any of the guilty and put it into a Scholarship fund to be paid out to the appropriate college hopeful who is next in line after the cutoff...…….that would give back to the group who was affected by their crime.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:36 PM

42 posts, read 4,440 times
Meanwhile, a black mother just received 5 years in prison for using a friend's address to send her son to a better public school.

https://people.com/crime/mom-sentenc...son-in-school/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or