U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,065 posts, read 40,610,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
human necessity:
FOOD
CLOTHING
SHELTER

Ohh do tell....What secret thing do homeless do in bathrooms?? Inquiring minds want to know!
Deal with it everyday I go to Portland, OR. Homeless (?) totally trashed a new Wendy's in less than a month.

Bathrooms... someone(?) uses the floor rather than a toilet... (for ALL duties), Smear feces all over the walls and especially the door knobs, break off the $600 towel dispensers so they (?) can abscond with $1 roll of paper towels, tear the TP dispensers off the walls to get the rolls, sit in the stalls for HOURS on cold days, block the doors to restroom so other customers cannot use and employees cannot clean. break the mirrors (For some reason), stand on the sink till it breaks off the wall (showering?).

Just the 'usual' Bathroom use.
Could be any customers. Likely the ones in business suits who own $100k in company stock of the FF joint they are visiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM

3,760 posts, read 1,711,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
human necessity:
FOOD
CLOTHING
SHELTER

Pretty sure that in itself is reason enough to feed a person for a day...so they can have the energy to make it thru. But hey...Lets go with your idea of waiting thirty days or more and see who still has hunger pangs...

The audacity that some "assume" homeless folks have no civil manners is beyond pathetic. I know poverty ....so I take offense that its assumed most are without manners. Manners just dont fly out the window based on the persons economic stance. ALthough I do know some well to do that have little manners when scoffing at the homeless trying to survive.

Ohh do tell....What secret thing do homeless do in bathrooms?? Inquiring minds want to know!

Well, for one, they attempt to clean themselves and/or possibly some dishes in the sink. In some cases we're talking three days of cheap ripple vomit, or even your standard fare clean your butt after not having nice (or any) toilet paper for awhile. May be time for a shave if there's a mirror.

By the time they're done, there's a line of uncomfortable patrons who have been waiting, and they're going to enter a small room that smells like homeless person, has water all over and a disgusting sink filled with various hairs. Bon appetite!

Someone feeding a single...fine. An army of 20....oh hell no.

Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM

5,802 posts, read 4,980,869 times
I will give them canned goods but not money.

Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM

11,015 posts, read 4,482,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Deal with it everyday I go to Portland, OR. Homeless (?) totally trashed a new Wendy's in less than a month.

Bathrooms... someone(?) uses the floor rather than a toilet... (for ALL duties), Smear feces all over the walls and especially the door knobs, break off the $600 towel dispensers so they (?) can abscond with $1 roll of paper towels, tear the TP dispensers off the walls to get the rolls, sit in the stalls for HOURS on cold days, block the doors to restroom so other customers cannot use and employees cannot clean. break the mirrors (For some reason), stand on the sink till it breaks off the wall (showering?).

Could be any customers. Likely the ones in business suits who own $100k in company stock of the FF joint they are visiting.
You're blaming only the homeless for this behavior; but unhappy, angry people who think they've been wronged do this too. Anywhere there are people who have a chip on their shoulder.

Check out restrooms in jail visitors lobbies, restrooms in grocery stores in really bad parts of town, restrooms on the criminal court floor of the courthouse, in the probation office, etc.

They're sticking their finger in the eye of the establishment, but the irony of it is, usually someone in their same degraded situation is the one cleaning up their messes. The judge and lawyers in the courtroom aren't cleaning that up, it's someone else who lives a diminished life.

Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM

24,558 posts, read 30,693,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It IS a slippery slope - if you're talking about the "action" of the management of Taco Bell.

From a business standpoint it may be a perfectly understandable "action" - we all certainly get that.

But it's not at all clear legally. Google "sues because they were denied service" and see just how very slippery the slope is.
that doesnt make it a slippery slope. that just means that it isnt legal to deny people service in every situation. but denying them service while not discriminating against a protected category of person is legal and not a slippery slope.

Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The "slippery slope" argument is usually invoked by one who doesn't have a solid argument against the current situation so needs to project some potential future situation.

Yes, please do google on those terms and you'll see the results involve cases involving one of the protected classes under federal or state law.

And also google "sued because of slippery floor" to see just as many results so I guess keeping a clean store and mopping the floors is a "slippery slope" as well.

Businesses can refuse service provided it is not on the basis of a legally protected class. The lines are clearly drawn and there is no slippery slope. Anyone can get sued for anything. There's not many businesses that haven't been sued for something. Getting sued doesn't necessarily mean you did anything wrong and there's nothing you can do to preclude getting sued.
it is funny right. "yes, this is a legal action but i dont like it so its a slippery slope."

Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

3,337 posts, read 3,221,692 times
Even assumin Shannon Mosier Gridley felt the bible called on her to feed the homeless, that doesn't mean Taco Bell is obligated to be an unwilling participant in her ministry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I will give them canned goods but not money.
Great, how are they supposed to afford a can opener?

Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

its nice for people that dont have to deal with that issue but many of us do. i know where i live in nj, fast food restaurants allow easy access the bathrooms. that isnt the case in nyc. when i need to run in for a bathroom break in a fast food place by work, i need to get a key.

i dont serve the public in my offices but we are ground floor in some spaces and we do have randoms coming sometimes. my employees are under strict orders not to let people use the restroom. it is a shame because it is something i would like to provide to people in need but you get burned too many times when you do that here.

Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,065 posts, read 40,610,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You're blaming only the homeless for this behavior; .....
really?
Quote:
Homeless (?) totally trashed a new Wendy's in less than a month.

BTDT...I have been a janitor for last 50+ yrs... and ALWAYS leave a RR more clean than when I arrive. (As I'm sure you do as well).

Fun stuff isn't it? Very nice that most of us grew up with a silver spoon (not)

I ALWAYS thank the suffering RR cleaners who are dealing with homeless (and others... even PAYING customers!). I remember well the nasty stuff the Marketing gals left for me in their RR. Classy bunch!

Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM

11,015 posts, read 4,482,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that doesnt make it a slippery slope. that just means that it isnt legal to deny people service in every situation. but denying them service while not discriminating against a protected category of person is legal and not a slippery slope.
I think maybe you don't understand what a slippery slope is.

Anyway, I'm done with this angle on the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events