U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2019, 10:53 AM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,861 posts, read 14,609,412 times
Reputation: 24428

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
They're sticking their finger in the eye of the establishment, but the irony of it is, usually someone in their same degraded situation is the one cleaning up their messes. The judge and lawyers in the courtroom aren't cleaning that up, it's someone else who lives a diminished life.
Wow, just wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2019, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
3,767 posts, read 1,712,852 times
Reputation: 6406
Another way to think of it. Hey...I'll pay you $2 to clean my disgusting bathroom that I don't use normally....but only if you also cook me two tacos. Bring your own toilet paper, cleaning supplies and food ok?



Wait...you don't like that deal? What are you, some sort of racist, elitist silver spoon overlord? Get out here and make me my tacos before I cause trouble for you in the press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 11:30 AM
 
11,033 posts, read 4,488,124 times
Reputation: 27797
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Wow, just wow!
Do you disagree?

Go into a bathroom in any of those places I mentioned and compare it to, say, a bathroom in a resort community or a national park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 11:34 AM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,861 posts, read 14,609,412 times
Reputation: 24428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Do you disagree?

Go into a bathroom in any of those places I mentioned and compare it to, say, a bathroom in a resort community or a national park.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, hopefully, but your comments seem to be saying that the employees of those establishments are in degraded situations and leading diminished lives. If so, that's probably one of the most condescending things I've read in a very long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 11:40 AM
 
11,033 posts, read 4,488,124 times
Reputation: 27797
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, hopefully, but your comments seem to be saying that the employees of those establishments are in degraded situations and leading diminished lives. If so, that's probably one of the most condescending things I've read in a very long time.
Do you think it is not degrading to clean up someone's poop that's smeared on a bathroom wall? Or other disgusting things that people smear on bathroom walls? That doesn't seem degrading to you - and indicate that the person who holds that job likely has a hard life?

Same as the people who are doing the smearing?

People who are doing the disgusting things in bathrooms aren't making any difference in the life of the CEO of that corporation, or the management.

They're making life miserable for someone who is likely in the same economic situation as themselves.

And I don't mean the homeless who do the smearing. I mean the establishment's customers who are angry at their lot in life, although they are employed and have some place they call home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 11:45 AM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,861 posts, read 14,609,412 times
Reputation: 24428
Sorry, no. I don't think anyone who does an honest days hard work is living a degraded or diminished life. Do you feel the same way about nurses, home health aids, or anyone else who has a job that involves people who might need assistance with toileting or cleaning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 12:20 PM
 
11,033 posts, read 4,488,124 times
Reputation: 27797
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Sorry, no. I don't think anyone who does an honest days hard work is living a degraded or diminished life. Do you feel the same way about nurses, home health aids, or anyone else who has a job that involves people who might need assistance with toileting or cleaning?
No, I don't feel the same way about someone who has to clean up poop that was purposely smeared on a bathroom wall to make the custodian's life even more difficult, as opposed to someone tending to a sick person who needs hygiene help.

I don't feel the same way. Someone purposely doing something, that forces you to clean up a disgusting, filthy scenario, just out of sheer spite is a different experience all together, although the two experiences look similar at a glance.

I would suggest you read Nickel and Dimed, for an interesting perspective on minimum wage workers and their frustration with the lack of respect and dignity they are given.

Which doesn't mean that they are unworthy, or undeserving of respect. It means they aren't getting it.

And those who are causing them this difficulty are likely in the same position in life as they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 12:30 PM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,861 posts, read 14,609,412 times
Reputation: 24428
I've read nickel and dimed. Cute story for people who people who haven't lived it, I guess it's meant to make people who live in suburbia feel like they understand what it's like to live a minimum wage life, lol. But much like the stories of white people who put on blackface and wrote about it, it only touches the surface and hardly reveals what's it's like to actually LIVE it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 12:33 PM
 
11,033 posts, read 4,488,124 times
Reputation: 27797
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I've read nickel and dimed. Cute story for people who people who haven't lived it, I guess it's meant to make people who live in suburbia feel like they understand what it's like to live a minimum wage life, lol. But much like the stories of white people who put on blackface and wrote about it, it only touches the surface and hardly reveals what's it's like to actually LIVE it.
It seems like you intended this as a big insult, but you kind of have to know the person you're insulting to know whether your intended insult hits the mark or misses by a mile.

What you don't know, you don't know.

If you don't think it's degrading to clean up a vile mess that someone made on purpose, to make you clean it up, then I guess you've never had to do it.

And I'm done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 12:48 PM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,861 posts, read 14,609,412 times
Reputation: 24428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It seems like you intended this as a big insult, but you kind of have to know the person you're insulting to know whether your intended insult hits the mark or misses by a mile.

What you don't know, you don't know.

If you don't think it's degrading to clean up a vile mess that someone made on purpose, to make you clean it up, then I guess you've never had to do it.

And I'm done.
Like you didn't insult the people whose jobs mean having to deal with those messes? I think you think 'nickled and dimed' is the defining authority on what it means to be poor. One of the stupidest books ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top