U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-19-2019, 03:52 AM
 
4,959 posts, read 2,427,317 times
Reputation: 5917

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Not if their hands got dirty again before going to Taco Bell...
Let it go - from your own posts you have no actual interaction with these people - you've seen them from across the room - so don't smell them, really can't judge if their hands are washed or not - but tend to believe a story that some one who wants their 15 minutes of fame relates without any proof. Also watch how you label people - that person you say you saw and is homless in a fast food establishment - may have more money than you. You're making a judgement due to what they are wearing and that is wrong.

The woman should not have embarrassed the lot of them by bringing them into the store - she did it for herself - not for them. I do have to say the idea related in having local establishments have meals for the homeless is a great idea. This way you know they get a hot meal and the money isn't being spent on booze or drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2019, 05:52 AM
 
52,813 posts, read 42,481,231 times
Reputation: 33093
I'm sure someone mentioned it already but have you ever been around any hard-core homeless?

We've tried to destigmatize homelessness, showing the mom sleeping in her car with her kid etc. I get that.

However, the "sleeping under the overpass" crowd is different than the I live at the shelter or in my car or temporarily on a friends couch type homeless.

If you stay in a facility there are lots of rules especially around drugs and alcohol. Additionally, and this one is big there is a strong odor on many of the "living under the overpass" crowd as one would expect from people living outdoors and not washing for long periods of time.

So, 20 folks from the underpass are most likely to include a lot of extremely smelly addicts among their ranks, just a fact. That creates a lot of potential trouble for TB.

I have to say that buying TB and handing it out is a better play. Or maybe donating to a shelter that gets the temporary homeless back on their feet. Whichever she does is fine, I appreciate her warm heart but the expectation that a business should be shamed I can't get behind.

P.S. Years ago in Chicago working downtown there was this large homeless guy that wore like 6 layers of clothes year round. I am absolutely not kidding when I say that on occasion I could smell him from over 1 city block away. Let's put it this way, it's been 25 years and I still remember this guy that I saw maybe a dozen times over a year or so based mostly on his smell. Let that sink in as to how bad that must have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2019, 09:38 AM
 
2,267 posts, read 3,146,640 times
Reputation: 1740
This is the kind of story that people think with their hearts instead of their brains.

Is it a really nice gesture on her part? Absolutely! But if you think with your brain you need to understand their is a bigger picture here. Having 20 people who are hanging around, using the bathroom etc. in a store with other customers isn't exactly going to help business going forward. Some customers might not want to be around homeless people for valid reasons.

If I had kids I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable because I know homeless people can go from being completely normal to crazy in seconds. I'm not going to worry about offending people at the safety of my children.

Most of the people that would be against Taco Bell would probably also be the same ones that end up leaving when somebody is 5 feet away from your family and all you smell is urine, poop & cigarette smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2019, 02:10 PM
 
6,206 posts, read 2,926,417 times
Reputation: 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
According to the story, they were just trying to wash their hands before eating.

Some of the most foul restrooms I've ever seen were in areas where there was no apparent homeless presence. Human beings are disgusting period, but let's find any excuse to discriminate against vagrants. No bums allowed, but the well dressed paying customer is more than welcome to leave diarrhea all over the back of the toilet.

Do you believe that someone battling diarrhea (and managing to keep it in the toilet) is equivalent to someone purposely smearing feces on the wall?


I'm perfectly fine with discriminating against the second person, and there's no reason to discriminate against the first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2019, 02:16 PM
 
6,206 posts, read 2,926,417 times
Reputation: 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
It literally said:

“They wouldn’t even let them in the bathroom to wash their hands before they eat.”

Meaning there were likely several of them who pleaded with the staff to let them in the restroom only to wash their hands, which takes all of 15 seconds to do.

Do most people wash their hands before eating? I guess it would have to depend on the individual.
While that may have been what happened, there is no basis at all for you to reach that conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 02:38 PM
 
44 posts, read 7,604 times
Reputation: 108
Fact is nobody here really knows what these homeless people looked like or what they were doing there exactly...people just make stuff up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 02:58 PM
 
Location: California
131 posts, read 130,577 times
Reputation: 225
Where I come from the homeless prefer to be called "Home free" because they choose to not have a home, go to shelters because of rules etc. Homeless are easy to spot, they are often not as clean as others and are usually hauling around carts of their belongings including their pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 07:28 PM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,888 posts, read 14,645,319 times
Reputation: 24580
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Fact is nobody here really knows what these homeless people looked like or what they were doing there exactly...people just make stuff up.
Fact is that's basically all this forum is about, but people speculating based on their own experience with the homeless isn't quite the same as just making stuff up out of the blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2019, 01:12 PM
 
9,877 posts, read 13,729,441 times
Reputation: 6004
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A woman in Louisville, Kentucky, is accusing a local Taco Bell of kicking her and a group of homeless people out as she was buying them dinner.

Shannon Gridley’s attempt at a random act of kindness began Tuesday night when she was driving under an overpass and she noticed three people sitting nearby.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/taco-bell...191604691.html
Taco Bell did the right thing. Homeless people smell and carry a lot of germs. Some of them are also mentally unstable.


I personally never buy stuff for anyone on the street. They are there likely because of poor choices in their life. I'm not going to 'reward' someone for that. Feeding or giving them $$ is just enabling them.

People in NYC literally defecate on the streets … and as a food business, taco bell should let these people in??? No way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:28 AM
 
801 posts, read 528,360 times
Reputation: 1445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
How did Taco Bell know the people were homeless?
I'm guessing the stench that was emitting off of them.

Homeless people don't get to bathe themselves much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top