U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:51 AM

7,280 posts, read 2,628,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Whatever Taco Bell does they'll face criticism. If they allow homeless to use the restroom, even if they are paying customers, they run the very real risk of turning off other customers due to whatever the homeless do in the bathrooms. If they don't allow homeless to use the restrooms, they'll have stories like this run accusing them of being "inhumane and insensitive" and all the negative publicity that comes with it. I don't have a solution but I'm just glad I don't have to make that decision.

I know I may catch some criticism from this, but IMO buying the homeless the occasional meal is more for the buyer's own ego than actually helping the homeless. Kind of like the "give a man a fish you'll feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and you'll feed him for life" deal. Buying the homeless a meal doesn't really solve any of their problems. I guess it'll make them feel good for a while as well as buoy the buyer's sense of self worth but I think there are better things that can be done if you really want to help the homeless, such as donating to organizations that help them or offering your time.

IMO, buying a homeless person a meal, and maybe taking 30 minutes out of your day to keep him company is far more beneficial than throwing a couple of dollars at him.

Not everyone is able to teach a homeless person how to fish. But hey, if you feel moved to actually see them, listen to them, and share a meal, maybe you helped them stay grounded in reality, or give them a little bit of hope that this world still has a place for him/her.

And lest I sound like a Pollyanna, I haven't sat down and shared a meal with a homeless person for a very long time. But hey, when it's 20 degrees outside, and I see a couple of folks standing outside with a red nose and red ears, and 3 layers of clothes...I'll give them $15 and tell them to go inside and get some coffee and something to eat.

I don't know what brings people to that point, but if I see a need...and the spirit moves me, I'll try to help. (But I will NEVER do a charity for the camera. I hate it with a passion, when I see videos of people 'helping' the homeless. How embarrassing for the homeless person.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:52 AM

5,359 posts, read 5,294,875 times
Where I live, we have a very big problem with the homeless population and if you smelled what I smell on a daily basis attempting to use mass transit, you might not want twenty homeless people in your store at once either. And before anyone jumps on that---obviously not all homeless people are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Whatever Taco Bell does they'll face criticism. If they allow homeless to use the restroom, even if they are paying customers, they run the very real risk of turning off other customers due to whatever the homeless do in the bathrooms. If they don't allow homeless to use the restrooms, they'll have stories like this run accusing them of being "inhumane and insensitive" and all the negative publicity that comes with it. I don't have a solution but I'm just glad I don't have to make that decision.
There is a fast food place by me that requires you to type in the code from your receipt to use the bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
is there a problem here?

maybe this hero lady should feed these homeless people in her own home. not so generous all the sudden is she.
I'm sure next time she'll parade twenty random people into her house at once to eat and use her facilities.

Old Today, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Where I live, we have a very big problem with the homeless population and if you smelled what I smell on a daily basis attempting to use mass transit, you might not want twenty homeless people in your store at once either. And before anyone jumps on that---obviously not all homeless people are the same.

There is a fast food place by me that requires you to type in the code from your receipt to use the bathroom.

I'm sure next time she'll parade twenty random people into her house at once to eat and use her facilities.
Reminds me of a news story I read a while back. I can't remember if it was local to St. Louis or not...

There was a man who WAS opening his single family house to homeless people. He had fixed up his basement and one of the spare bedrooms with several cots. And I THINK I read that he had put up some tents in his back yard.

His neighbors complained, and the city shut him down.

Old Today, 08:23 AM

10,980 posts, read 4,472,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Please point it out to me then. Where in the Bible does Jesus command us to work in order to take care of those who won't work?

America offers much to those willing to work for it. Through our taxes and charities we take care of those who can't work (age, sickness, disability). But too many people simply refuse to work today. We used to call them bums and hobos. Today you call them homeless.
The Bible calls them sluggards. Their excuses are endless. You pity and give handouts to those you shouldn't, which in turn fuels others to become sluggards too. It's like feeding stray cats.

Try reading Proverbs 6:68... 12:24... 21:25... 20:4. Those are just a few Biblical passages about those who refuse to work. The Bible isn't PC. God/Jesus does not support the sluggards.
Are you serious?

How about, to start with, "whatsoever you do, to the least of your brothers, that you do unto me"? (Matthew 25). When, Lord, did we not feed you? When did we not welcome you? When did we turn you out in the cold? When did we think you were less than we are? Read the chapter. (What if Jesus really meant what he said?)

Or, as Mother Teresa said, "these beggars are Jesus in his most distressing disguise".

Old Today, 08:37 AM

24,546 posts, read 30,679,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
It is not against the law for a homeless person to walk into a public place. Besides how do you know who is homeless and who isn't? Even if there were such a law it would be very difficult to enforce.

Also. there is no way this woman could have predicted that Taco Bell would kick them out, so she wasn't doing this to get attention.
its also not against the law for taco bell to ask people to leave.

i never said anything about her doing it to get attention.

Old Today, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Taco Bell isn't a social services organization. All this fake indignation is getting to be a bit much.

With 29 agencies providing services to assist people on the street, Louisville isn't lacking in volunteer opportunities and ways to help the homeless. But then dear Ms. Gridley would have been only one volunteer among many.

I'm afraid this was indeed all about her.

I think you're probably right about that.

Old Today, 09:10 AM

10,980 posts, read 4,472,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its also not against the law for taco bell to ask people to leave.

i never said anything about her doing it to get attention.
That is a very slippery slope.

And yes, it is, in many cases against the law for Taco Bell to ask someone to leave.

Despite what businesses post in their lobbies about it's their right to refuse service to anyone, that's a lie.

Old Today, 09:28 AM

328 posts, read 123,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post

She should have just ordered a bunch of food for them and taken it to them, ALONG with wet wipes and sanitizer to clean their hands before eating.
But then no one would know what a generous and wonderful person she is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Nobody was used or abused.

This woman was giving Taco Bell her money.

You don't know that these homeless people don't work or aren't looking for work. You know nothing about them. You're just judging them based on one word: "homeless."

First, I agree not all homeless people are the same but given the immediate reaction from employees, we can assume it wasn’t just down on their luck type but rather substance abusing and/or mental issue type.

So Taco Bell takes in $100 dollars and then deals with a dining room full of people who haven’t bathed in a while and a bathroom that would likely be used in the way many have stated. Yep, not worth $100. And you bet the lady taking the homeless into the store wouldn’t offer to clean up after them. Taco Bell's job is make sure their restaurant looks clean, sanitary, and appetizing to attract customers. Her attempt at philanthropy is at odds with their goal.

Old Today, 09:48 AM

3,965 posts, read 2,064,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Are you serious?

How about, to start with, "whatsoever you do, to the least of your brothers, that you do unto me"? (Matthew 25). When, Lord, did we not feed you? When did we not welcome you? When did we turn you out in the cold? When did we think you were less than we are? Read the chapter. (What if Jesus really meant what he said?)

Or, as Mother Teresa said, "these beggars are Jesus in his most distressing disguise".

Clara, understand please that there's a huge difference between poor people and people who have nothing because they refuse to work for it. Once again, the Bible calls them Sluggards. I pointed out several passages in another post. I don't appreciate your provocative inference that I am disregarding Jesus' because I refuse to be scammed by people who chose to live an irresponsible life. There's many opportunities in America to make money.

I do help the poor, the sick, the elderly, the widowed, through taxes and charities.

I will not give to those who refuse to plant and gather their own harvest when they are fully capable of doing so.

I'm done with you now. I'll thank you to stop addressing me and poking your stick in my eye. Bye.

Old Today, 09:54 AM

5,871 posts, read 4,298,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
But then no one would know what a generous and wonderful person she is!

I'm not saying that TB was wrong in her bringing in 20 homeless people in to eat. I know some customers would be upset at the dirt and smell that some homeless people carry on themselves.

RE: the bolded: Not everyone in this world is looking for attention to a generous act. They are just plain, kind people. YES, there ARE people like that in this world.

Whenever I hand $5 to someone who is homeless or hungry, I could care less if anyone else sees me do it.

I do it because I feel badly for the homeless/hungry and my finances allow me the pleasure of sharing a little token with someone not so fortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events