U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:22 AM

328 posts, read 123,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I'm not saying that TB was wrong in her bringing in 20 homeless people in to eat. I know some customers would be upset at the dirt and smell that some homeless people carry on themselves.

RE: the bolded: Not everyone in this world is looking for attention to a generous act. They are just plain, kind people. YES, there ARE people like that in this world.

Whenever I hand $5 to someone who is homeless or hungry, I could care less if anyone else sees me do it.

I do it because I feel badly for the homeless/hungry and my finances allow me the pleasure of sharing a little token with someone not so fortunate.
I think what you are doing is fine and I see many people bringing food to homeless people where I live (in a big inner city). However, parading 20 people (who she doesn't know) down the street into a Taco Bell and then lecturing the employees on how to treat people suggests that her motives may not be so pure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:24 AM

8,379 posts, read 5,136,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
And of course homeless people do not deserve the chance to wash up. Better that they relieve themselves outdoors and don't try to stay clean.
Actually, now there is a proliferation of mobile laundry trucks and shower facilities that serve the homeless.

I don't know which cities they're in, but I have to believe that any city that is trying to help would raise the money for these vehicles.

Of course all you can do is make the services available. You can't force people to use them. And that's a big part of the homeless issue too, one that extends to community clinics as well.

Old Today, 10:25 AM

10,981 posts, read 4,472,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Clara, understand please that there's a huge difference between poor people and people who have nothing because they refuse to work for it. Once again, the Bible calls them Sluggards. I pointed out several passages in another post. I don't appreciate your provocative inference that I am disregarding Jesus' because I refuse to be scammed by people who chose to live an irresponsible life. There's many opportunities in America to make money.

I do help the poor, the sick, the elderly, the widowed, through taxes and charities.

I will not give to those who refuse to plant and gather their own harvest when they are fully capable of doing so.

I'm done with you now. I'll thank you to stop addressing me and poking your stick in my eye. Bye.
I don't have a "stick", and I certainly don't measure up to His standard of loving each other human as you would treat Jesus. But quoting from the premise of "The Hole in Our Gospel" by Richard Stearns, head of World Vision:

What if Jesus really meant what He said?

And now, I'm also done with this conversation. Just food for thought. What if? What IF he meant it, all the while we're saying, well, he surely didn't mean those people?

Old Today, 10:40 AM

39 posts, read 3,383 times
Quote:
Please point it out to me then. Where in the Bible does Jesus command us to work in order to take care of those who won't work?

America offers much to those willing to work for it. Through our taxes and charities we take care of those who can't work (age, sickness, disability). But too many people simply refuse to work today. We used to call them bums and hobos. Today you call them homeless.
The Bible calls them sluggards. Their excuses are endless. You pity and give handouts to those you shouldn't, which in turn fuels others to become sluggards too. It's like feeding stray cats.

Try reading Proverbs 6:68... 12:24... 21:25... 20:4. Those are just a few Biblical passages about those who refuse to work. The Bible isn't PC. God/Jesus does not support the sluggards.
the Bible commands us to give to the poor and needy, without judging their circumstances.

The Bible also tell us not to judge others.

The Bible also says that "the poor will always be with us."

I'm not interested in citing chapter and verse here because I'm not a hard core Bible thumper. But I know what it says.

I hope you are never in a situation where you can't work because of a disability or mental health condition. Many Americans are just one step away from financial catastrophe if they have a serious medical situation.

Old Today, 10:54 AM

24,546 posts, read 30,679,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That is a very slippery slope.

And yes, it is, in many cases against the law for Taco Bell to ask someone to leave.

Despite what businesses post in their lobbies about it's their right to refuse service to anyone, that's a lie.
it isnt a slippery slope. you are trying to manufacture some kind of violation without giving details to what it is and what law they would be in violation of.

Old Today, 10:58 AM

10,166 posts, read 4,772,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Also. there is no way this woman could have predicted that Taco Bell would kick them out, so she wasn't doing this to get attention.

There is no way that you could know what this woman could or could not have predicted. Maybe she was well aware of this TB policy, that many of her "guests" had previously been banned, and this was exactly why she chose this TB to bring 20 homeless?

Old Today, 10:59 AM

3,965 posts, read 2,064,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
the Bible commands us to give to the poor and needy, without judging their circumstances.

The Bible also tell us not to judge others.

The Bible also says that "the poor will always be with us."

I'm not interested in citing chapter and verse here because I'm not a hard core Bible thumper. But I know what it says.

I hope you are never in a situation where you can't work because of a disability or mental health condition. Many Americans are just one step away from financial catastrophe if they have a serious medical situation.
wth? You have totally misread, misjudged and misunderstood every thing I've said here today. So has the other poster. What is wrong with you? I cannot make things clearer than I already have.

Some people beg to be scammed just so they can feel superior to those who have the God-given wisdom to recognize a scammer when we see one.

Old Today, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it isnt a slippery slope. you are trying to manufacture some kind of violation without giving details to what it is and what law they would be in violation of.
Well, let's start with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and go from there.

Denying service to paying customers who look rough is an extremely slippery slope if you don't define exactly what you mean.

Old Today, 11:06 AM

Quote:
wth? You have totally misread, misjudged and misunderstood every thing I've said here today. So has the other poster. What is wrong with you? I cannot make things clearer than I already have.

Some people beg to be scammed just so they can feel superior to those who have the God-given wisdom to recognize a scammer when we see one.
A scammer? This group of hungry, homeless people who were invited to Taco Bell by this woman who wanted to buy their lunch (presumedly so she could tell her friends about it and brag) are scammers?

Old Today, 11:07 AM

24,546 posts, read 30,679,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, let's start with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and go from there.

Denying service to paying customers who look rough is an extremely slippery slope if you don't define exactly what you mean.
and how would this violate the civil rights act of 1964?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events