U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM

39 posts, read 4,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Talk about a stretch. Are you trying to suggest minorities make up the homeless population or what?
I live in a mostly white area and we have plenty of homeless that come in to use our facilities at work. Many, probably most, have some sort of mental illness. I have actually talked with homeless people who have money, have marketable skills, etc but they choose to be homeless, so it's not always just about poverty.

It's an unfortunate fact that most of the homeless who use our facilities at work do leave a mess, used needles being the worst thing I've ever found. They steal toilet paper, baby changing pads, soap and paper towels, basically anything that isn't locked up. I walked in on one woman stuffing her bag with toilet seat covers the other day. They also tie up the bathrooms and make it impossible or awkward for other customers to use the facilities, nobody wants to use the bathroom with a half dressed customer bathing from the sink.
You seem to have tons of these stories about how horrible customers are, have you thought about getting into a different line of work? Seems like it's about time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM

10,831 posts, read 14,598,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
You seem to have tons of these stories about how horrible customers are, have you thought about getting into a different line of work? Seems like it's about time.
Most customers are fine, it's the one who aren't that I tell stories on. I tend to work in working class, low income areas, I probably get to see more than my share of 'characters'. (especially in Memphis!)
And lots of people here on CD seem to live in some sort of bubble where they never seem to come into contact with less than perfect people, like they just can't believe this kind of stuff happens in real life.

Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

17,671 posts, read 10,596,597 times
I wonder how many of those fully supporting what this woman did, would themselves invite 20 random homeless people from the street into their own homes to feed them and let them use the restroom.

Crickets....

As always, so long as it's someone else's facility and property and not yours.

Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I wonder how many of those fully supporting what this woman did, would themselves invite 20 random homeless people from the street into their own homes to feed them and let them use the restroom.

Crickets....

As always, so long as it's someone else's facility and property and not yours.
My home isn't open to the public but my restaurant business would be. If you don't like dealing with the public, don't operate a restaurant business.

Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Most customers are fine, it's the one who aren't that I tell stories on. I tend to work in working class, low income areas, I probably get to see more than my share of 'characters'. (especially in Memphis!)
And lots of people here on CD seem to live in some sort of bubble where they never seem to come into contact with less than perfect people, like they just can't believe this kind of stuff happens in real life.
Oh, I believe this stuff goes on...just not to the extent that some people claim it does.

And I've never seen needles in public bathrooms - anywhere.

Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

10,831 posts, read 14,598,512 times
Quote:
Oh, I believe this stuff goes on...just not to the extent that some people claim it does.

And I've never seen needles in public bathrooms - anywhere.
Good for you I guess? Try working near mental health inpatient clinics and rehab centers for a while. Bet that means you've never witnessed drug deals going down in your parking lot either. Gotta love it.

Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM

7,786 posts, read 3,182,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A woman in Louisville, Kentucky, is accusing a local Taco Bell of kicking her and a group of homeless people out as she was buying them dinner.

Shannon Gridley’s attempt at a random act of kindness began Tuesday night when she was driving under an overpass and she noticed three people sitting nearby.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/taco-bell...191604691.html
Restaurants don't want smelly hobos in their establishments. The woman meant well, but should have thought it through.

Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM

7,786 posts, read 3,182,138 times
Quote:
My home isn't open to the public but my restaurant business would be. If you don't like dealing with the public, don't operate a restaurant business.
Except they aren't "the public". They are unkempt vagrants without money to make a purchase.

Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM

17,671 posts, read 10,596,597 times
Quote:
Nice deflection. So I take that as a no, utterly predictable.

A restaurant, which is a private business, has the legal right to refuse entry or service based on certain conditions.

While restaurants cannot legally discriminate against protected classes such as race, religion, or national origin, and they cannot arbitrarily refuse service to someone, they are within their legal rights to refuse service to homeless particularly in this case:

a) 20 homeless is overfilling the capacity of the restaurant and there's a picture of the place in question on this very thread

b) Patrons lacking adequate hygiene

Like I said, it's always easy to cast judgement when it is not your own property.

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-libra...e-service.html

Quote:
There a number of legitimate reasons for a restaurant to refuse service, some of which include:

Patrons who are unreasonably rowdy or causing trouble
Patrons that may overfill capacity if let in
Patrons who come in just before closing time or when the kitchen is closed
Patrons accompanied by large groups of non-customers looking to sit in
Patrons lacking adequate hygiene (e.g. excess dirt, extreme body odor, etc.)
In most cases, refusal of service is warranted where a customer’s presence in the restaurant detracts from the safety, welfare, and well-being of other patrons and the restaurant itself.

20 random homeless people cramming into a restaurant due to a narcissist's publicity stunt is directly impacting the welfare and well-being of the other customer's there. If this woman truly cared about the homeless, she'd have bought food to them and directed them towards social services. But nope, that's not good enough as getting social media likes and publicity.

Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM

1,588 posts, read 591,601 times
Taco Bell did the right thing by packing up the food to go. Paying patrons want to be able to eat a meal in piece without worrying if there are needles left in the bathroom, and many homeless people aren’t into showering. Even the stench of one person walking by can be pretty revolting. Why should Taco Bell subject their customers to that?

This lady should have known she would be creating a circus by bringing that many people in off the street. She should have ordered the food and taken it to them. Sounds more like a publicity stunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events