Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 08:09 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,485,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
None of us would have facilities if we didn't work for them. It's one of the perks of working for a living.
An employer has to employ you in order to work for a living. One of the requirements on an application is contact information, including an address. Employers seldom employ homeless people knowingly.

Some homeless people work part time jobs and still cannot afford a place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 08:10 PM

609 posts, read 264,048 times
Quote:
2 Thessalonians 3:6-10..... If a man will not work, he shall not eat.
No one has the privilege of being idle while demanding others feed, cloth and shelter him. YOU need to read YOUR Bible, sweetheart. Americans do more for our planet's poor than any other country on this planet. We draw the line, however, on being used, abused and taken advantage of. Jesus didn't teach any of us to be patsy to the sluggard.

Nice try though.
Nobody was used or abused.

This woman was giving Taco Bell her money.

You don't know that these homeless people don't work or aren't looking for work. You know nothing about them. You're just judging them based on one word: "homeless."

Old 09-15-2019, 08:11 PM

609 posts, read 264,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
An employer has to employ you in order to work for a living. One of the requirements on an application is contact information, including an address. Employers seldom employ homeless people knowingly.

Some homeless people work part time jobs and still cannot afford a place to live.
Very true. My former employer would not hire anyone who only gave a PO box number as their address. I know this because HR told me.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:15 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
2 Thessalonians 3:6-10..... If a man will not work, he shall not eat.
No one has the privilege of being idle while demanding others feed, cloth and shelter him. YOU need to read YOUR Bible, sweetheart. Americans do more for our planet's poor than any other country on this planet. We draw the line, however, on being used, abused and taken advantage of. Jesus didn't teach any of us to be patsy to the sluggard.

Nice try though.
I think the question was, "what did Jesus say about feeding the poor".

Nice try, though.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:40 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,399,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Perhaps you should read your Bible and learn what Jesus said about feeding the poor.
This is in the Bible!

Charity that makes a display of itself is not charity, its to bring attention to the do-gooder and an abomination to the Lord

Oh, Geez, maybe your Bible isn't the same as my Bible

Old 09-15-2019, 10:35 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,531,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I've been homeless many times before. I have never vandalized anyone's restroom.
I never said you did. Nor did I ever imply you did. I'm also sure there are thousands of other homeless who have never vandalized anyone's restroom. So what? You want a prize for that? Read my post on the second page of this thread. To summarize, homeless are far likelier to vandalize or make a mess in the restroom than those who aren't homeless. Do you dispute this? If you were responsible for this restroom would you rather allow 100 homeless people to use the restroom or 100 regular Taco Bell customers if you had to pick one group?

Old 09-16-2019, 03:47 AM

11,775 posts, read 5,787,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Perhaps you should read your Bible and learn what Jesus said about feeding the poor.
Sorry carrolle - I'm a Christian and have sympathy and empathy for everyone and everything. I routinely donate money and items to help the poor, abused, elderly ect.. but there was no need to parade 20 people into a small cramped building like a Taco Bell. As I said - she should have taken the food to them.

Do not think we don't have empathy for those less fortunate -but there are concerns about their mental status as well as laws on the books about conditions that these businesses have to uphold. If the health dept showed up - they'd have problems with 20 homeless standing in the lobby and sitting at the tables.

There is help out there for them - but many don't want the help - even from their own families - they choose to remain homeless just as we choose to live in a house. What the gov't should do is enforce policies in these shelters so those on the streets feel comfortable coming in out of the cold. And we need to go back to institutions where these people with mental problems are giving help instead of letting them fend for themselves.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:25 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
The woman was wrong - she shouldn't have paraded 20 people into a restaurant like that - she should have ordered food to go and taken it back to the people to enjoy - just ask for those wet wipes so they could clean their hands or pick a box up at the Dollar store.

I side with TB - due to the mental problems many of the homeless have - they do have a responsibility to protect all their customers and employees. And with 20 people in this group - they would have been in that restaurant for a couple of hours as I'm sure they would have used the bathrooms to wash up.
If it was just 5 people, maybe this situation would have been fine, but 20?!!!

I agree with xray. It was very kind of her to feed them because they were hungry, BUT, I think she should have thought this whole thing over before taking 20 people into TB.

She should have just ordered a bunch of food for them and taken it to them, ALONG with wet wipes and sanitizer to clean their hands before eating.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:06 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think the question was, "what did Jesus say about feeding the poor".

Nice try, though.
Please point it out to me then. Where in the Bible does Jesus command us to work in order to take care of those who won't work?

America offers much to those willing to work for it. Through our taxes and charities we take care of those who can't work (age, sickness, disability). But too many people simply refuse to work today. We used to call them bums and hobos. Today you call them homeless.
The Bible calls them sluggards. Their excuses are endless. You pity and give handouts to those you shouldn't, which in turn fuels others to become sluggards too. It's like feeding stray cats.

Try reading Proverbs 6:68... 12:24... 21:25... 20:4. Those are just a few Biblical passages about those who refuse to work. The Bible isn't PC. God/Jesus does not support the sluggards.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:51 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,861 times
I think the issue was the number of people. Often times when a homeless person asks me for money on the street I say no, but offer to buy food. The ones who take me up on the offer go with me to a restaurant or grocery store with me and I buy them food. I never had an issue with someone kicking me or the homeless person out. Most times, the person takes their food to go anyway. I can't think of a single time where the person wanted to eat in the dining room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events