Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 11:08 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times

Advertisements

This will be a big PR win for TB. Very few if any customers will avoid this TB because they are outraged at the treatment of the homeless. On the other hand, many may be more likely to visit this TB knowing they will be secure from the stench and panhandling of vagrants on the premises.

It is not uncommon when I am eating out in urban areas near vagrant populations to be approached looking for a handout, not just entering or leaving, but at my table. If the restaurant quickly notices and chases them off that's one thing but my opinion of the restaurant nose dives if I see someone going table to table asking for money and the waiters are walking past them paying them no mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 12:16 PM

609 posts, read 263,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
and how would this violate the civil rights act of 1964?
I believe the point made is that businesses cannot necessarily always kick out customers and get away with it. If it's based on racial discrimination, they can't.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:17 PM

609 posts, read 263,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
wth? You have totally misread, misjudged and misunderstood every thing I've said here today. So has the other poster. What is wrong with you? I cannot make things clearer than I already have.

Some people beg to be scammed just so they can feel superior to those who have the God-given wisdom to recognize a scammer when we see one.
All homeless people are scammers?

Do you think all these 20 people got together and scammed this woman to buy them Taco Bell food? For real?

Old 09-16-2019, 04:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
I believe the point made is that businesses cannot necessarily always kick out customers and get away with it. If it's based on racial discrimination, they can't.
If that didn't happen here I'm not sure why it's being brought up

Old 09-16-2019, 04:08 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Talk about a stretch. Are you trying to suggest minorities make up the homeless population or what?
I live in a mostly white area and we have plenty of homeless that come in to use our facilities at work. Many, probably most, have some sort of mental illness. I have actually talked with homeless people who have money, have marketable skills, etc but they choose to be homeless, so it's not always just about poverty.

It's an unfortunate fact that most of the homeless who use our facilities at work do leave a mess, used needles being the worst thing I've ever found. They steal toilet paper, baby changing pads, soap and paper towels, basically anything that isn't locked up. I walked in on one woman stuffing her bag with toilet seat covers the other day. They also tie up the bathrooms and make it impossible or awkward for other customers to use the facilities, nobody wants to use the bathroom with a half dressed customer bathing from the sink.

The occasional homeless person is not generally a big deal, twenty at one time, yeah I think I'd have a problem with that too. It would most definitely affect business and make other customers want to leave.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:14 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
If that didn't happen here I'm not sure why it's being brought up
It's the slippery slope. You can't decide you just don't like people, or like how they look.

That act set the standard for the philosophy that a business that's open to the public needs to be open to the public. Cases in court tight now go different ways, it's a slippery slope when you decide whose rights you violate when you refuse to serve them.

I think everyone can empathize with Taco Bell, that having their restaurant full of people who might not look clean eating food purchased at their restaurant might not be an attractive thing, but where do you draw the line? Where do you decide to tell buying customers they can't be served?

It was CERTAINLY argued by restaurants in the 60's that serving black customers was bad for business in general, and they were right. The lunch counters stood to lose a LOT of business by serving paying customers that others found objectionable.

But hey, you can't refuse them. Nor should you.

Slippery slope.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:43 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's the slippery slope. You can't decide you just don't like people, or like how they look.

Yes, you can. As long as it's not one of the protected classes. A business can decide it doesn't want customers with beards, or tattoos, or hats (even MAGA hats), or tennis shoes, or bad grooming, body smell, torn clothing, grease and grime, etc. You draw the line exactly where the law draws it - the specifically named protected classes. Socio-economic class is not a protected class.

It could also decide it doesn't want large groups where only one person is paying. This woman was the only paying customer. She can give away the food if she wants but that doesn't make the other 20 paying customers. A place can impose special rules on groups.

We also do not know anything about how they were acting. Were they loud, wandering about the restaurant, talking to other customers, etc. Did it become argumentative when the cashier said it would be an order to go? How many customers might have pulled into the lot, saw a mob of street people inside, and left?

Last edited by oceangaia; 09-16-2019 at 04:52 PM..

Old 09-16-2019, 05:06 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Yes, you can. As long as it's not one of the protected classes. A business can decide it doesn't want customers with beards, or tattoos, or hats (even MAGA hats), or tennis shoes, or bad grooming, body smell, torn clothing, grease and grime, etc. You draw the line exactly where the law draws it - the specifically named protected classes. Socio-economic class is not a protected class.

It could also decide it doesn't want large groups where only one person is paying. This woman was the only paying customer. She can give away the food if she wants but that doesn't make the other 20 paying customers. A place can impose special rules on groups.

We also do not know anything about how they were acting. Were they loud, wandering about the restaurant, talking to other customers, etc. Did it become argumentative when the cashier said it would be an order to go? How many customers might have pulled into the lot, saw a mob of street people inside, and left?
Yes, they can, you're right.

But they have to say it clearly, in the restaurant, on signage and they have to enforce it fairly.

For example, if they said people whose clothing doesn't appear clean and neat can't eat there, they'd have to kick out a construction crew of 4 guys that eats there every lunch.

And no one wants to do that.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

That act set the standard for the philosophy that a business that's open to the public needs to be open to the public. Cases in court tight now go different ways, it's a slippery slope when you decide whose rights you violate when you refuse to serve them.

I think everyone can empathize with Taco Bell, that having their restaurant full of people who might not look clean eating food purchased at their restaurant might not be an attractive thing, but where do you draw the line? Where do you decide to tell buying customers they can't be served?

It was CERTAINLY argued by restaurants in the 60's that serving black customers was bad for business in general, and they were right. The lunch counters stood to lose a LOT of business by serving paying customers that others found objectionable.

But hey, you can't refuse them. Nor should you.

Slippery slope.
it isnt a slippery slope. it is legal activity.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
it isnt a slippery slope. it is legal activity.
I can't tell what you're saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events