Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 02:21 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,816,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
No, there's no way this women could have predicted that parading twenty homeless people into the taco bell dining room would have resulting in them being kicked out of the restaurant.
Attachment 214611
Not exactly a huge dining room, either (click to embiggen)
Wrong Taco Bell. That one is on 26th and Broadway. The one in question is near Brook st. It's dining room is about the same size, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 05:09 PM

1,168 posts, read 775,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Whatever Taco Bell does they'll face criticism. If they allow homeless to use the restroom, even if they are paying customers, they run the very real risk of turning off other customers due to whatever the homeless do in the bathrooms.
According to the story, they were just trying to wash their hands before eating.

Some of the most foul restrooms I've ever seen were in areas where there was no apparent homeless presence. Human beings are disgusting period, but let's find any excuse to discriminate against vagrants. No bums allowed, but the well dressed paying customer is more than welcome to leave diarrhea all over the back of the toilet.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:00 PM

609 posts, read 263,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Taco Bell is not alone;

This week the poop smearing I ran into was in the bathroom of the public library (very hot outside, so quite a few were vagrants hanging out). It's often a life by choice (I have been working with homeless shelters for over 30 yrs). There are many reasons.

FF and public spaces are taking it on the ear, as we (USA) enable lifestyles that are not tolerated in many other developed countries.

I volunteer with many immigrant businesses and skills training.
You very seldom fine them homeless, tho of very difficult circumstances. (Often victims of genocide & Government sponsored discrimination and abuse.)

We (USA) have all the elements and resources to right this wrong. But we cannot. and we will not. Tho it would be so simple to do so (but would step on a few toes). I have lived and worked in countries who can handle the problem, and they have. Their society and ALL residents are the better for it.

Businesses (Taco Bell) and individuals (you and I) do not need to fret / bow to pressure (or fear), as the problem is handled swiftly and completely by the government. Not pretty, but effective.
Ah, the old 'Immigrants from other countries are better than Americans" argument creeping into this discussion.

I knew it was coming.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:07 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
According to the story, they were just trying to wash their hands before eating.

That's not actually what the story said, and besides do you think these homeless wash their hands before eating any other time?

Old 09-18-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's not actually what the story said, and besides do you think these homeless wash their hands before eating any other time?
It literally said:

“They wouldn’t even let them in the bathroom to wash their hands before they eat.â€

Meaning there were likely several of them who pleaded with the staff to let them in the restroom only to wash their hands, which takes all of 15 seconds to do.

Do most people wash their hands before eating? I guess it would have to depend on the individual.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
It literally said:

“They wouldn’t even let them in the bathroom to wash their hands before they eat.â€

Meaning there were likely several of them who pleaded with the staff to let them in the restroom only to wash their hands, which takes all of 15 seconds to do.

Do most people wash their hands before eating? I guess it would have to depend on the individual.

That is literally something the woman claims after the fact. Do most people give a completely honest account of what happened when they are in a dispute with another party? I guess it would have to depend on the individual.

I would bet most "homeless" do not. And highly doubtful that was their prime concern when being offered a free meal. If grooming was important to them, they wouldn't be as grimy and smelly as they typically are.

I wonder how the millions of people per day who order through the drive-thru manage to eat without washing their hands? Maybe they have a sink in the back seat.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
That is literally something the woman claims after the fact. Do most people give a completely honest account of what happened when they are in a dispute with another party? I guess it would have to depend on the individual.
So what are you suggesting? That the majority of these people were just holding it in all day and were just waiting for a random stranger to offer them lunch at a restaurant so they could finally go? You don't think it's possible that they had used the restroom earlier at another location?

It is completely believable to me that they simply wanted to wash up before eating, and this could've been done without them even closing the restroom door.

Quote:
I would bet most "homeless" do not. And highly doubtful that was their prime concern when being offered a free meal. If grooming was important to them, they wouldn't be as grimy and smelly as they typically are.
Perhaps that's the case in your neck of the woods, but here I see homeless people in Starbucks and various fast food establishments, and most aren't smelly or grimy, and I have no reason to believe they're any more likely to eat with dirty hands than most people.

Quote:
I wonder how the millions of people per day who order through the drive-thru manage to eat without washing their hands? Maybe they have a sink in the back seat.
Or they wait til they get home where the sink is. Depends on the individual.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
So what are you suggesting? That the majority of these people were just holding it in all day and were just waiting for a random stranger to offer them lunch at a restaurant so they could finally go? You don't think it's possible that they had used the restroom earlier at another location?

If they used a restroom earlier then these fastidious homeless would have already washed their hands.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:34 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,195,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Whatever Taco Bell does they'll face criticism. If they allow homeless to use the restroom, even if they are paying customers, they run the very real risk of turning off other customers due to whatever the homeless do in the bathrooms. If they don't allow homeless to use the restrooms, they'll have stories like this run accusing them of being "inhumane and insensitive" and all the negative publicity that comes with it. I don't have a solution but I'm just glad I don't have to make that decision.

I know I may catch some criticism from this, but IMO buying the homeless the occasional meal is more for the buyer's own ego than actually helping the homeless. Kind of like the "give a man a fish you'll feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and you'll feed him for life" deal. Buying the homeless a meal doesn't really solve any of their problems. I guess it'll make them feel good for a while as well as buoy the buyer's sense of self worth but I think there are better things that can be done if you really want to help the homeless, such as donating to organizations that help them or offering your time.
i lived in an area for several years with a very large and visible homeless population. It was a small town with nice weather, on the water, great parks, and the homeless were everywhere.

Here are some things that i saw done there that worked and did not disrupt local businesses:

at the waterside park (where i walked daily) with lots of homeless, people would bring bags of food and place them on a picnic table, such as take-out or Subway. At a local pizza restaurant customers could "buy a meal for the homeless" (i think it was 2 large pieces of pizza and a soda) by paying for it, and the pizza place either made it available for someone to eat if they were put together enough to come in and eat it. If not they would deliver it to where the homeless were. that helps all around: good PR for the pizza place, increased business for them, customers able to help others, and a good meal for someone who can appreciate it.

i liked that. i like someone on the street being able to have a decent meal.
i don't think it is self serving. it is a simple act that we do because we can.

to discount that as not helping someone is just not the case at all.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
If they used a restroom earlier then these fastidious homeless would have already washed their hands.
Not if their hands got dirty again before going to Taco Bell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events