U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 10:59 AM

22,732 posts, read 14,910,114 times

Advertisements

In case you doubt the severity of potential harm around thermal pools and geysers, here is a link that lists injuries to people who have fallen or stepped into them.

https://www.yellowstonepark.com/thin...autionary-tale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 11:06 AM

24,041 posts, read 10,893,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
The water can never exceed 212 degrees, attainable in a minute on your stove-top, which won't even dissolve an egg.
It isn't just the temperature, it's also the dissolved chemicals in the water.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:30 PM

9,405 posts, read 18,149,349 times
The same dumb tourists who think it's a good idea to take selfies with wild grizzlies and their cubs.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:13 PM

14,980 posts, read 10,963,682 times
The thread title sounds like the beginning of a joke.

I swear, these cameras are going to be the death of us all.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:37 PM

21,617 posts, read 22,286,042 times
This land is your land
This land is my land

Old 09-17-2019, 01:52 PM

22,732 posts, read 14,910,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
The water can never exceed 212 degrees, attainable in a minute on your stove-top, which won't even dissolve an egg.
There have been many fatal incidents at Yellowstone which involved people stepping or falling into a spring. I am not sure why you have trouble accepting this. Even a man who was pulled out of a spring alive, ultimately died. He had jumped in to rescue a dog that had fallen into a pool.

If I remember, some springs are hotter than others. And they have different chemical compositions. If you have ever visited Yellowstone, you should remember the pervasive sulphur odor that hangs over the areas where the springs and geysers are.

A particularly disgusting way to die would be to fall into one of the sputtering mud springs that are there.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:05 PM

21,548 posts, read 17,119,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Next, they will be closing the park to protect the stupid people.
This never happens but every time something happens at a national park people say that. When has this ever happened?

Old 09-17-2019, 02:06 PM

21,548 posts, read 17,119,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
There have been many fatal incidents at Yellowstone which involved people stepping or falling into a spring. I am not sure why you have trouble accepting this. Even a man who was pulled out of a spring alive, ultimately died. He had jumped in to rescue a dog that had fallen into a pool.

If I remember, some springs are hotter than others. And they have different chemical compositions. If you have ever visited Yellowstone, you should remember the pervasive sulphur odor that hangs over the areas where the springs and geysers are.

A particularly disgusting way to die would be to fall into one of the sputtering mud springs that are there.
She’s not disputing that the person died, he was disputing that he dissolved because the water was so hot. If he dissolved it was because of acid in the water not because of the heat.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:09 PM

7,204 posts, read 9,471,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Next, they will be closing the park to protect the stupid people.
I hope not. While it would traumatize the next visitors who find their half-dissolved corpses in the acidic hot spring, it would make it clear for everyone -- as soon as the resulting videos are, inevitably, posted on Facebook -- why TF they have those guard ropes and "DO NOT ENTER" signs everywhere.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:27 PM

4,907 posts, read 1,900,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

All of what you say is true. I'm saying any HO-based fluid with a pH anywhere near 7 could never get hot enough for the heat to be the he cause of dissolution. In water that acidic, a body would dissolve at room temperature, albeit more slowly, not to mention more uncomfortably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or