U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 06:54 PM

21,617 posts, read 17,142,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A chicken sandwich would be fine but to make it with donuts is just one more way of getting stupid type people addicted to KFC food. It probably does taste sort of good--sweet stuff usually does taste good. But it's very fattening. And donuts are fried. So now we'll get more stupid people eating stuff like that and wondering why they're so fat.
The sugar is actually more harmful than the fat, but both are bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 07:06 PM

10,886 posts, read 14,623,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Nope, there's a chocolate chip corn dog in the frozen section that no one is capitalizing on yet.
Omg, it's real! and a peanut butter one too, lol.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:21 PM

13,054 posts, read 6,714,464 times
I'm not trying to go to an early death, so I'll pass.

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM

7,238 posts, read 3,986,498 times
That's disgusting.

Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM

4,833 posts, read 3,819,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
And it's disgusting... As is "shrimp n grits," and a ton of these other southern mix-n-mashup random items together "dishes." Yuck.
Shrimp and grits is a sublime example of local cuisine from the SC and GA coast (the lowlands). Its roots are in Gullah/Geechee cooking. It's not a "mix-n-mashup" set of random items - and I'm having a hard time understanding how the real thing could be considered disgusting. I'll wager whatever version's offered at Florida restaurants as "Shrimp 'n' Grits" isn't authentic.

It became popular across the South because the late Bill O'Neal began serving it at Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill NC in the early 1980s (one of my favorite spots for a meal when I was living there). Craig Claiborne of the NYT (a Southerner from Mississippi) discovered Crook's Corner (as well as several other local restaurants, including Mama Dip's and the Fearrington House) wrote about them in his NYT column in 1985, and that was the beginning of Shrimp and Grits' wider popularity in the South. See:

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/06/26/g...hern-food.html

Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,212,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Not sure if they still do it, but KFC used to offer little packets of honey to put on their fried chicken. Not sure why everyone is so horrified by a combination of sweet and savory.
I thought the honey was for the biscuits .

This sandwich sounds absolutely disgusting and here I thought KFC couldn't get any worse than the double down (KFC obviously took this as a challenge). Ick!

Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM

10,104 posts, read 6,979,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Shrimp and grits is a sublime example of local cuisine from the SC and GA coast (the lowlands). Its roots are in Gullah/Geechee cooking. It's not a "mix-n-mashup" set of random items - and I'm having a hard time understanding how the real thing could be considered disgusting. I'll wager whatever version's offered at Florida restaurants as "Shrimp 'n' Grits" isn't authentic.

It became popular across the South because the late Bill O'Neal began serving it at Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill NC in the early 1980s (one of my favorite spots for a meal when I was living there). Craig Claiborne of the NYT (a Southerner from Mississippi) discovered Crook's Corner (as well as several other local restaurants, including Mama Dip's and the Fearrington House) wrote about them in his NYT column in 1985, and that was the beginning of Shrimp and Grits' wider popularity in the South. See:

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/06/26/g...hern-food.html
Lighten up. I have had it in GA, and I found it equally disgusting. There are plenty of “authentic” versions in Florida. I still consider it to be a random mashup of items, much like I do the traditional “crab boils” with sausage and corn and whatnot. I am just not a fan of cuisines that seem to throw in all sorts of seemingly random items together. The taste of sausage with corn and crustaceans does not appeal to me. The taste of grits and seafood does not appeal to me. The thought of waffles and fried chicken does not appeal to me. For the record, I love grits, when plain with melting butter. With toppings? I’ll pass.

Why are you having a “hard time understanding” that someone else might find what you enjoy disgusting? I eat Natto regularly for breakfast. I wouldn’t be surprised if you’d find it disgusting.

Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

21,617 posts, read 17,142,958 times
Quote:
Lighten up. I have had it in GA, and I found it equally disgusting. There are plenty of “authentic” versions in Florida. I still consider it to be a random mashup of items, much like I do the traditional “crab boils” with sausage and corn and whatnot. I am just not a fan of cuisines that seem to throw in all sorts of seemingly random items together. The taste of sausage with corn and crustaceans does not appeal to me. The taste of grits and seafood does not appeal to me. The thought of waffles and fried chicken does not appeal to me. For the record, I love grits, when plain with melting butter. With toppings? I’ll pass.

Why are you having a “hard time understanding” that someone else might find what you enjoy disgusting? I eat Natto regularly for breakfast. I wouldn’t be surprised if you’d find it disgusting.
Don’t know why you’re reading her posts as if she’s scolding you. She simply providing the history of the dish. There’s not one thing in that post that sounds angry to me. It’s just a conversation, lighten up.

Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Don’t know why you’re reading her posts as if she’s scolding you. She simply providing the history of the dish. There’s not one thing in that post that sounds angry to me. It’s just a conversation, lighten up.
I'm a he, by the way.

Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Lighten up. I have had it in GA, and I found it equally disgusting. There are plenty of “authentic” versions in Florida. I still consider it to be a random mashup of items, much like I do the traditional “crab boils” with sausage and corn and whatnot.
Lighten up? You're the one who called chicken and waffles and shrimp and grits random and disgusting mashups. You wrote:

Quote:
And it's disgusting... As is "shrimp n grits," and a ton of these other southern mix-n-mashup random items together "dishes." Yuck.
I explained the history of the dish because you made a declaration that it was a random mashup of items. You can say that about many dishes -- Do you consider a sandwich a random mashup of bread, meat, cheese, and various condiments? It's a ridiculous assertion. And Shrimp and grits ultimately has a deep connection with the people and history of the low country:

Quote:
There are also known writings from the Gullah Geechee, descendants of slaves from West Africa, that mention meals resembling shrimp and grits. This is most likely because the Gullah slaves would periodically receive allowance or food, including grits. Making the most of their local resources on the coast, the Gullahs would catch shrimp and other fish in nets and cook them in a variety of ways, including with grits. Since then, shrimp and grits had remained a breakfast dish found mainly in the lowcountry marshes near the Southern coast.
(source)

Food is more than something to stuff down your gullet - it's part of a culture's identity and history. It connects those who eat it and pass recipes on to the next generation with their past. And chicken and waffles also has deep roots in the South:

https://www.myrecipes.com/extracrisp...hern-invention
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events