U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM

10,104 posts, read 6,979,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Lighten up? You're the one who called chicken and waffles and shrimp and grits random and disgusting mashups. You wrote:

I explained the history of the dish because you made a declaration that it was a random mashup of items. You can say that about many dishes -- Do you consider a sandwich a random mashup of bread, meat, cheese, and various condiments? It's a ridiculous assertion. And Shrimp and grits ultimately has a deep connection with the people and history of the low country:

(source)

Food is more than something to stuff down your gullet - it's part of a culture's identity and history. It connects those who eat it and pass recipes on to the next generation with their past. And chicken and waffles also has deep roots in the South:

https://www.myrecipes.com/extracrisp...hern-invention
My initial post was meant to be more childish/comical than anything. Ranting about food I can’t stand. Hence, “lighten up.” Sorry if it didn’t come across that way.

I agree with your last paragraph by the way, and am well aware of it, including a variety of southern dishes passed down by generations dating back to slavery.

That being said, Southern “soul food,” among other southern styles, need to steer clear of me. Aside from plain grits. Those are good. The rest? They can keep their greasy horse feed (southern style collard greens) and all.

As for the sandwich, well, I just find that some items compliment each other well, and can be combined to make delicious meals. If one were to put peanut butter and jelly inside a ham and cheese sandwich, I’d consider that to be “random,” as the flavors simply do not go well together. Same way I feel about shrimp n grits and chicken n waffles, and in this case, chicken and doughnuts. Reminds me of an episode of Hells Kitchen when a contestant served Ramsay a steak with peaches. His comments mimicked how I feel about the above-mentioned dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM

10,104 posts, read 6,979,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Don’t know why you’re reading her posts as if she’s scolding you. She simply providing the history of the dish. There’s not one thing in that post that sounds angry to me. It’s just a conversation, lighten up.
My initial “rant” was meant to be taken lightly. It wasn’t anything serious. You lighten up too, okay? (Kidding. Or not.)

Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM

21,617 posts, read 17,142,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I'm a he, by the way.
Sorry!

Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM

21,617 posts, read 17,142,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
My initial post was meant to be more childish/comical than anything. Ranting about food I can’t stand. Hence, “lighten up.” Sorry if it didn’t come across that way.

I agree with your last paragraph by the way, and am well aware of it, including a variety of southern dishes passed down by generations dating back to slavery.

That being said, Southern “soul food,” among other southern styles, need to steer clear of me. Aside from plain grits. Those are good. The rest? They can keep their greasy horse feed (southern style collard greens) and all.

As for the sandwich, well, I just find that some items compliment each other well, and can be combined to make delicious meals. If one were to put peanut butter and jelly inside a ham and cheese sandwich, I’d consider that to be “random,” as the flavors simply do not go well together. Same way I feel about shrimp n grits and chicken n waffles, and in this case, chicken and doughnuts. Reminds me of an episode of Hells Kitchen when a contestant served Ramsay a steak with peaches. His comments mimicked how I feel about the above-mentioned dishes.
Yes, none of them sound appealing to me either.

Old Today, 11:12 AM

53 posts, read 16,715 times
Life is short. Might as well try one.

Old Today, 12:06 PM

4,833 posts, read 3,819,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Collards I like - however, I wouldn't touch chitlins or certain other innards like brains. Even I have limits.

Quote:
As for the sandwich, well, I just find that some items compliment each other well, and can be combined to make delicious meals. If one were to put peanut butter and jelly inside a ham and cheese sandwich, I’d consider that to be “random,” as the flavors simply do not go well together.
Actually, jelly in a ham & cheese might work - the sweetness of the jelly would balance the saltiness of the ham. There are many examples of sweet things being served with meats: Spanish cheeses with quince jelly, Thanksgiving turkey in the U.S. with cranberry sauce, lamb with mint jelly, pork roast with apples. And one of my favorite sandwiches is peanut butter and bacon. Chacun a son gout.

Old Today, 08:15 PM

469 posts, read 122,483 times
No thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events