U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 01:44 PM

9,771 posts, read 7,384,710 times

Advertisements

Just thought this was interesting.. Half these movies I've already seen and I do have a job so trying to watch 13 movies in 15-ish days would be pretty tough..

https://www.foxcarolina.com/company-...VCSXhm1MDQHkzQ

The only ones I haven't seen are Dreamcatcher and Thinner. Though, I haven't seen some of the remakes.. check that.. I haven't seen ANY of the remakes, though I am interested in seeing the remake of It

Never was a fan of The Shining. Children of the Corn was excellent... Creepshow was actually quite good, but skewed more to comedy than horror at many points. Misery was a great suspense movie, not so much horror.. but it did have perfect casting with Kathy Bates. Pet Sematary was good as well.

The rest.. Meh. I liked the original It, liked most of the others.. But they weren't great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 12:00 PM

23,178 posts, read 19,613,835 times
Thinner was.......interesting. Lol, Misery was a most excellent movie. The horror came when she swung down on James Caan's leg!!

Old 09-20-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Thinner was.......interesting. Lol, Misery was a most excellent movie. The horror came when she swung down on James Caan's leg!!

Yeah.. I just have a hard time classifying it as "horror".. Which.. I don't think this is quite as much an argument like the whole "Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?" thing.. But I just don't think Misery is properly classified as a horror movie. Wiki says it's a "Psychological Horror", so I may be wrong.. I can accept that subclassification.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:43 PM

448 posts, read 157,132 times
If they recorded my heartrate during children of the corn, it would be my REM cycle heartrate. That movie is painfully boring

Old 09-20-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
If they recorded my heartrate during children of the corn, it would be my REM cycle heartrate. That movie is painfully boring

Really? It's been a long time since I've seen it.. I originally saw it when it first came out, so that was '84.. I'd have been 11.. Loved it. Now, the MANY sequels were too much. 10 of them, NOT counting the remake.

Pet Sematary I just loved Fred Gwynne.. To me, he was half the enjoyment of that movie.

MODS - Maybe we should kick this over to Movies.. I was going for them offering a job aspect of it, but.. Perhaps this would have been better off over in the movie forum as I think it's going more that direction.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:43 PM

3,972 posts, read 2,070,634 times
I have seen these movies and read the books when they first came out -- Carrie, Christine, Cujo, Mist, Pet Cemetery, Salem's Lot, The Stand, The Shining and Misery. The books, all of them, were better by far then the movies, but some of the movies were pretty good.

I used to be a huge fan of Stephen King in his very early years. Salem's Lot scared the daylights out of me. I still remember feeling the fear when little Danny Glick came back as a vampire. Yikes! I was hooked on King after that.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I have seen these movies and read the books when they first came out -- Carrie, Christine, Cujo, Mist, Pet Cemetery, Salem's Lot, The Stand, The Shining and Misery. The books, all of them, were better by far then the movies, but some of the movies were pretty good.

I used to be a huge fan of Stephen King in his very early years. Salem's Lot scared the daylights out of me. I still remember feeling the fear when little Danny Glick came back as a vampire. Yikes! I was hooked on King after that.

I can't think of a Stephen King book that has a movie that's better than the book. I suppose you could say Shawshank Redemption, but those are so different, because the 'book' was just a short story.

The only one that, to me, comes close is "The Stand".. The miniseries.. If you haven't watched that.. it's 8 hours, but worth every minute. Even so.. The book is still better. There's things they couldn't put in the miniseries, which aired on network television.. The entire character of "The Kid" and his trek across the country with Trashcan Man was omitted from the miniseries.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I can't think of a Stephen King book that has a movie that's better than the book. I suppose you could say Shawshank Redemption, but those are so different, because the 'book' was just a short story.

The only one that, to me, comes close is "The Stand".. The miniseries.. If you haven't watched that.. it's 8 hours, but worth every minute. Even so.. The book is still better. There's things they couldn't put in the miniseries, which aired on network television.. The entire character of "The Kid" and his trek across the country with Trashcan Man was omitted from the miniseries.
You're right about Shawshank. I read the story before seeing the movie. The movie is far superior and very well done.

I loved reading The Stand. You're right about Trashcan Man. Too much of the old woman was also left out of the movie. Very disappointing. Also, the character that player Harold in the movie didn't mimic the character in the book.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:23 PM

18,545 posts, read 23,871,488 times
i met steven king ...one Halloween he came out to say hi...

that's a tradition....

hack saw movies to me aren't that scary

love the old first time suspenseful movies.....

carrie…..salems lot ..was scary Halloween the first one was scary ..

the exorcist was scary..... my mother wouldn't let us kids see that one.

I loved the first poltergeist... jaws was a shocker and scary …

when we were quite young in the early 70's we use to watch ghost story ...then circle of fear...… I loved that scary stuff!!

then the night stalker was good and night gallery

Old 09-20-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i met steven king ...one Halloween he came out to say hi...

that's a tradition....

hack saw movies to me aren't that scary

love the old first time suspenseful movies.....

carrie…..salems lot ..was scary Halloween the first one was scary ..

the exorcist was scary..... my mother wouldn't let us kids see that one.

I loved the first poltergeist... jaws was a shocker and scary …

when we were quite young in the early 70's we use to watch ghost story ...then circle of fear...… I loved that scary stuff!!

then the night stalker was good and night gallery
For me it was Twilight Zone. I was eight years old when that came on TV. It scared us kids silly, yet we loved every episode.

I liked the first Poltergeist as well. Halloween too, but only the first one. The Exorcist still scares me. Another good old scary movie was Omen with Gregory Peck and Lee Remick.

Your comment about your mother reminded me of something. My mother wouldn't let us kids go see West Side Story, but she let us go see Jack the Ripper. I'm in my late 60s now, but I swear, that movie damaged me. LOL. Parents were just as strange back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events