U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 08:02 AM

10,058 posts, read 5,601,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
The truth is painful. Too many smokers don't want to hear the truth, so they insist that the rest of us shut up about their stinky, filthy habit. When we refuse to silence ourselves, they call us names.

Saying that cigarettes are dangerous, disgusting and "quittable", and that smokers are slowly killing themselves, is not being a jerk, jerk. Quit!
Telling people how to live their lives,cornering them verbally, and being judgmental is being a jerk.

There are many things that people don't like.... it doesn't give them the right to confront them at every turn.

If the smoker is being inconsiderate, then simply tell them.... otherwise, it really isn't your place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 09:57 AM

10,656 posts, read 13,350,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My parents or grandparents never smoked, but my brother was seven years older than me and I always wanted to be like him and do whatever he did. He smoked since he was a young teenager. Everyone blamed him when I started smoking LOL. But I actually made a conscious decision to start, and eighth grade. I felt like I was to goody-goody and I needed some kind of vice. My best friend actually gave me lessons on how to smoke including how to blow smoke rings. Almost everyone starts smoking when they’re young and stupid that’s the problem. And then by the time you’re old enough to know better, you’re physically and psychologically addicted.
Very true indeed. I had my first Marlboro red like this. Its easy to get pulled into that when young, regardless of ones background and upbringing. I was raised to believe any drink, smoke and pill was the devil. I wound up drinking during high school while cutting class, sometimes right under the bleachers- while teachers and students were practicing sports.
Smokes, beers and heavy metal music was the triple combo during our outings. Total opposite of what I was taught to believe in.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:14 AM

21,734 posts, read 17,200,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Literally every smoker and vaper I have ever spoken to advised me not to start smoking or vaping because "it is a bad habit". So, literally every one of them know it's a bad habit, but they do it anyway.
Right I think we’ve all acknowledged that including those of us who smoke or Vape. It’s a very difficult addiction to quit.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:21 PM

4 posts, read 176 times
I don't vape but people should be allowed to do it, no one here has any reason to petition for a law against it.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:25 PM

31,817 posts, read 14,206,551 times
This is interesting:

Quote:
Seeking answers, NBC News commissioned one of the nation's leading cannabis testing facilities to test a sampling of THC cartridges — 18 in all — obtained from legal dispensaries and unlicensed dealers.

The findings were deeply troubling.

Of the three purchased from legal dispensaries in California, the CannaSafe testing company found no heavy metals, pesticides or residual solvents like Vitamin E.

But 13 out of the other 15 samples from black market THC cartridges were found to contain Vitamin E.

CannaSafe also tested 10 of the unregulated cartridges for pesticides. All 10 tested positive.

The products all contained myclobutanil, a fungicide that can transform into hydrogen cyanide when burned.

"You certainly don’t want to be smoking cyanide," said Antonio Frazier, the vice president of operations at CannaSafe. "I don’t think anyone would buy a cart that was labeled hydrogen cyanide on it."

Pirzada described the existence of myclobutanil as "very disturbing," adding that "it’s going to cause a very toxic effect on the lungs."
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/vapin...anide-n1059356

Old 09-27-2019, 02:27 PM

21,734 posts, read 17,200,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I hadn't heard about THC cartridges coming from China, it's my understanding they were produced in the US but for the most part sold on the street, not in vape shops
The ones in legal states are produced in the U.S., but those aren't the ones on the streets in non-legal states. There aren't that many unaccounted for as legal states are strictly regulated both regarding keeping track of where supply is, and stores themselves having to have strict limits on how much you can buy at once. Pretty much every cartridge in non-legal states is counterfeit. But it really doesn't make much difference if your counterfeit comes from some guy in his basement in Hoboken or from Shanghai, either way you don't know what's in it. Amazon and E-Bay both sell empty cartridges in large lots. I think there are some pretty big operations though, given the realistic boxes and labels on them.

I've only recently begun to see how many things we buy are counterfeit. And how difficult it is to tell if it is or isn't real. The counterfeits come in boxes that look identical to the name brands. Even my cats Seresto flea and tick collars...I looked online to see if they were cheaper than the $75 our vet charges (there is a $15 rebate though lol) and Amazon and Ebay both had them for about $39. But as i researched it became clear many if not most of them were counterfeit from China. Some reviewers said their pets became ill from them. Youtube had videos on the teeny, tiny differences to look for in the containers for genuine vs fake.

In the end, I just decided it wasn't worth taking a chance, and I bite the bullet and buy them from the vet. Just like the cartridges. I really liked having them, they are very convenient as there's no real smell like smoke so we could use them in a hotel room on vacation.....but we are not going to get anymore until we go to a legal state, because of all these illnesses and deaths.

I wanted to find links to post on the counterfeits, but too many sites are blocked where I currently am typing from.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:30 PM

20,452 posts, read 10,643,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont take this seriously, I mean, Cmon, there have been around 6 deaths related to these modern Ecigs and vaping...but when you look at regular cigarettes, they kill 500K every year and NO ONE even suggests banning them?!!!

Lots of people say "its all about the money"...but if that is true, Ecigs are selling very well right now...why would they want to throw a wrench into that and loose revenue? Doesnt make sense.

Medical experts and doctors knew how dangerous cigarettes were in the 90s and that didnt change the fact our high school allowed students to smoke, they had a smoking lounge, students could fire up between classes or at lunch...point is, they KNEW how dangerous it was and still allowed schools to have smoking areas for students, Im not sure why they are acting like they care so much now, I dont think its fooling anyone though.
It is about money, but it's about the tax money that comes in from cigarettes. Vapes aren't taxed like cigarettes, thus less $$$ for the state.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:35 PM

608 posts, read 210,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
It is about money, but it's about the tax money that comes in from cigarettes. Vapes aren't taxed like cigarettes, thus less $$$ for the state.
Yet the states are raising their tobacco ages to 21.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:42 PM

20,452 posts, read 10,643,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Propylene glycol is a primary ingredient in anti-freeze and used in chemical manufacturing. In its infinite wisdom, the FDA has approved it for use in foods, cosmetics, and medications. It's used to prevent caking of dried foods like dry soup mixes, keeping foods like shredded coconut and marshmallows moist, and in flavorings in all kinds of foods from soda to ice cream. One extra drop of flavored PG in a quart of ice cream makes it inedible, and I won't even use it. It's thoroughly disgusting and needs to be banned from human ingestion.
You know where else PG is used? In hospital air systems as a anti bacterial agent, and in nebulizers used to treat breathing conditions.

PG is used in antifreeze to reduce toxicity. It takes the place of ethylene glycol which is highly toxic.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:45 PM

31,817 posts, read 14,206,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The ones in legal states are produced in the U.S., but those aren't the ones on the streets in non-legal states. There aren't that many unaccounted for as legal states are strictly regulated both regarding keeping track of where supply is, and stores themselves having to have strict limits on how much you can buy at once. Pretty much every cartridge in non-legal states is counterfeit. But it really doesn't make much difference if your counterfeit comes from some guy in his basement in Hoboken or from Shanghai, either way you don't know what's in it. Amazon and E-Bay both sell empty cartridges in large lots. I think there are some pretty big operations though, given the realistic boxes and labels on them.

I've only recently begun to see how many things we buy are counterfeit. And how difficult it is to tell if it is or isn't real. The counterfeits come in boxes that look identical to the name brands. Even my cats Seresto flea and tick collars...I looked online to see if they were cheaper than the $75 our vet charges (there is a $15 rebate though lol) and Amazon and Ebay both had them for about $39. But as i researched it became clear many if not most of them were counterfeit from China. Some reviewers said their pets became ill from them. Youtube had videos on the teeny, tiny differences to look for in the containers for genuine vs fake.

In the end, I just decided it wasn't worth taking a chance, and I bite the bullet and buy them from the vet. Just like the cartridges. I really liked having them, they are very convenient as there's no real smell like smoke so we could use them in a hotel room on vacation.....but we are not going to get anymore until we go to a legal state, because of all these illnesses and deaths.

I wanted to find links to post on the counterfeits, but too many sites are blocked where I currently am typing from.
I agree, I wouldn't buy any vape cartridges unless it was in a state where weed is legal and tested. Regarding Seresto - we got two counterfeit collars from Ebay. OMG what a mess the dogs started scratching within a day or two after putting them on and within a week they were full of fleas, it was obvious that the collar was fake, but it was perfect, right down to the packaging and the tape that seals the can. I returned them and got them from Petsmart, if you hunt for it you can find a list of legit Seresto dealers on the Bayer website and Petsmart was listed and was cheaper than the vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or