U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-28-2019, 11:40 AM
 
Location: NNJ
10,086 posts, read 5,618,960 times
Reputation: 11005

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I noticed this yesterday when I was in one of our stores, the Juul brand Ecigs only have 3 flavors now, since they were busted for having other flavors that was supposedly geared towards attracting kids...but BLU ecigs, and the RJ Reynolds Ecigs, they have about 18 different flavored juices, berry, vanilla, chia, green apple...I guess when they created that law about marketing to kids, it only applied to JUUL?!!
Big Tobacco bought influence in their competing market a while back... JUUL included. It is common business practice when there is a competing emerging market. JUUL has the majority of the ecig market sales. JUUL's 80% business is resting on non-tobacco flavored ecigs... they chose to not fight the bans in court.. they chose to voluntarily let go of 80% business.. the CEO resigned (I believe now replaced by a Tobacco executive)

If a company is just about to loose 80% of their sales due to a ban, most companies would fight it in court like the company's future dependent on it. JUUL is sitting idle by letting it happen... think about it... they don't want JUUL to survive; the one who stands to benefit are the Tobacco companies... one of which has a say so in JUUL's daily business decisions.

There is a reason why 80% of their business is flavored... tobacco flavored vapes isn't popular.. for me.. a cigar smoker.. it is pretty disgusting.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2019, 11:19 AM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
5,476 posts, read 2,500,299 times
Reputation: 17996
Vaping has been a 'thing' for almost a decade.

Very irresponsible for mass media to be harping on 'vaping' without exploring theories as to why this sudden problem is occurring in all young people & within the last few months.

Obviously, NOT inhaling anything besides fresh air is going to be healthier than inhaling anything that isn't fresh air. Right? What are we stupid? That's a given.

Tons of Boomers & GenXers vape; shouldn't they be succumbing to death & disability from vaping at a much higher rate than young people?

Investigative journalism is dead. This media coverage is all pasteurized & homogenized fear-mongering. Which is usually indicative of a diversion. Resist media propaganda.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2019, 11:23 AM
 
6,930 posts, read 2,542,112 times
Reputation: 4857
I know some young people think they look cool and sexy vaping, but when I see them I feel like laughing out loud, they look kind of stupid blowing tons of smoke around their face, it's more than just cig smoke, it IS like a fog machine, looks ridiculous. And, to risk their lives doing it??? A world gone mad.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2019, 11:28 AM
 
6,930 posts, read 2,542,112 times
Reputation: 4857
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Many cigarette companies market to kids. Who do you think the Marlboro catalog is made for? I've been to several concerts where they had a Camel tent, and pretty young girls and guys stand outside trying to get kids to come into the tent and sample different Camel cigarettes. Just the character Joe Camel is meant to appeal to young people. Why they are cracking down so much on e-cigs only IDK.
I am not sure why they are jumping more on vaping then cigarettes, but I heard it is because some kids have not even smoked cigarettes but jump right into vaping because of the marketing of "yummy" flavors and the cool factor. Not many kids can afford fancy cars or designer clothes so it's a cheap way they think to create a cool image of themselves. Vaping should be for adults with nicotine addiction.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2019, 12:58 PM
 
21,815 posts, read 17,244,712 times
Reputation: 40635
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Vaping has been a 'thing' for almost a decade.

Very irresponsible for mass media to be harping on 'vaping' without exploring theories as to why this sudden problem is occurring in all young people & within the last few months.

Obviously, NOT inhaling anything besides fresh air is going to be healthier than inhaling anything that isn't fresh air. Right? What are we stupid? That's a given.

Tons of Boomers & GenXers vape; shouldn't they be succumbing to death & disability from vaping at a much higher rate than young people?

Investigative journalism is dead. This media coverage is all pasteurized & homogenized fear-mongering. Which is usually indicative of a diversion. Resist media propaganda.
I posted a YouTube video from NBC News a couple days ago that stated the CDC is now focusing on THC cartridges vs e-cigs. 77% of those sick admitted they were vaping THC. Probably the other 23% don’t want to admit it. I think it will become clear it’s the counterfeit THC carts.

I don’t see how the media is at fault. They are reporting on what’s going on, which is that politics is driving a knee jerk reaction and states are banning e-cigs without even waiting to see what the actual cause is. All the media stories say they don’t know what the cause is yet. But when kids die it’s going to be talked about and reported on.

I posted a media story saying the focus is changing, but it doesn’t seem like many were interested if it didn’t support their entrenched views. That’s not media’s fault. Plenty of info is out there but too many make up thrust mind from headlines and social media rumors.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2019, 01:01 PM
 
21,815 posts, read 17,244,712 times
Reputation: 40635
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I know some young people think they look cool and sexy vaping, but when I see them I feel like laughing out loud, they look kind of stupid blowing tons of smoke around their face, it's more than just cig smoke, it IS like a fog machine, looks ridiculous. And, to risk their lives doing it??? A world gone mad.
A world gone mad, really? Teens have been standing in groups in clouds of cigarette smoke for a hundred years. Even if e-cigs arenít good for you, itís certainly a step up from that, both for them and the people around them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2019, 01:04 PM
 
Location: NJ
11,139 posts, read 21,734,175 times
Reputation: 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont take this seriously, I mean, Cmon, there have been around 6 deaths related to these modern Ecigs and vaping...but when you look at regular cigarettes, they kill 500K every year and NO ONE even suggests banning them?!!!


Lots of people say "its all about the money"...but if that is true, Ecigs are selling very well right now...why would they want to throw a wrench into that and loose revenue? Doesnt make sense.


Medical experts and doctors knew how dangerous cigarettes were in the 90s and that didnt change the fact our high school allowed students to smoke, they had a smoking lounge, students could fire up between classes or at lunch...point is, they KNEW how dangerous it was and still allowed schools to have smoking areas for students, Im not sure why they are acting like they care so much now, I dont think its fooling anyone though.
We were all smoking in the bathroom until 83 when I graduated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Big Tobacco bought influence in their competing market a while back... JUUL included. It is common business practice when there is a competing emerging market. JUUL has the majority of the ecig market sales. JUUL's 80% business is resting on non-tobacco flavored ecigs... they chose to not fight the bans in court.. they chose to voluntarily let go of 80% business.. the CEO resigned (I believe now replaced by a Tobacco executive)

If a company is just about to loose 80% of their sales due to a ban, most companies would fight it in court like the company's future dependent on it. JUUL is sitting idle by letting it happen... think about it... they don't want JUUL to survive; the one who stands to benefit are the Tobacco companies... one of which has a say so in JUUL's daily business decisions.

There is a reason why 80% of their business is flavored... tobacco flavored vapes isn't popular.. for me.. a cigar smoker.. it is pretty disgusting.
I want a Marlboro flavored vape but they don't make it lol
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2019, 01:11 PM
 
21,815 posts, read 17,244,712 times
Reputation: 40635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
We were all smoking in the bathroom until 83 when I graduated.
Actually the only time I got suspended was when a hall monitor caught me smoking in the bathroom in junior high, circa 1976 or 1977. I could have smoked right outside the school doors with no problem though. Of course I smoked in the bathroom a lot of times but only caught that time, because when I flushed it it came back up, lol.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2019, 01:34 PM
 
6,930 posts, read 2,542,112 times
Reputation: 4857
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
A world gone mad, really? Teens have been standing in groups in clouds of cigarette smoke for a hundred years. Even if e-cigs arenít good for you, itís certainly a step up from that, both for them and the people around them.
Well, it is a mad person that would put their life at risk just to effect a certain look and be "accepted" especially now we don't even know what is really in those e-cigs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2019, 02:57 PM
 
21,815 posts, read 17,244,712 times
Reputation: 40635
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Well, it is a mad person that would put their life at risk just to effect a certain look and be "accepted" especially now we don't even know what is really in those e-cigs.
Kids have been exactly that throughout history. That is exactly what we all did as teens regarding cigarettes. Or when we smoked weed, or drank to excess. Or when we had sex in the early 80’s (height of AIDS epidemic). There is not one thing these kids are doing that makes them any different than kids 1, 2, 3 or 4 generations ago. And again it seems to be THC cartridges causing the problems, so far there is nothing pointing at e-cigs. Again people have been vaping e-cigs for ten years, if it were the e-cigs causing the illnesses it only makes sense long term vapers would be the ones getting sick, but they are not. It’s more younger people and recent vapers, 77% of which have admitted they were vaping illegal THC cartridges, which are pretty much all counterfeit outside of legal states.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top