U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 03:08 PM

5,476 posts, read 2,500,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I posted a YouTube video from NBC News a couple days ago that stated the CDC is now focusing on THC cartridges vs e-cigs. 77% of those sick admitted they were vaping THC. Probably the other 23% donít want to admit it. I think it will become clear itís the counterfeit THC carts.

I donít see how the media is at fault. They are reporting on whatís going on, which is that politics is driving a knee jerk reaction and states are banning e-cigs without even waiting to see what the actual cause is. All the media stories say they donít know what the cause is yet. But when kids die itís going to be talked about and reported on.

I posted a media story saying the focus is changing, but it doesnít seem like many were interested if it didnít support their entrenched views. Thatís not mediaís fault. Plenty of info is out there but too many make up thrust mind from headlines and social media rumors.
Thank you; I will look for that video. If that's true they need to identify the brand quickly. Pretty irresponsible that a company hasn't recalled them. None of the media outlets in my area have been that forthcoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 03:19 PM

21,816 posts, read 17,244,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Thank you; I will look for that video. If that's true they need to identify the brand quickly. Pretty irresponsible that a company hasn't recalled them. None of the media outlets in my area have been that forthcoming.
Itís not a brand, itís counterfeits that have flooded the market.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:27 PM

5,582 posts, read 2,997,505 times
I'm picturing millennials + guaged out socket ear holes + pink/green hair + flat brim hats + Subarus.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:11 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,542,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Kids have been exactly that throughout history. That is exactly what we all did as teens regarding cigarettes. Or when we smoked weed, or drank to excess. Or when we had sex in the early 80ís (height of AIDS epidemic). There is not one thing these kids are doing that makes them any different than kids 1, 2, 3 or 4 generations ago. And again it seems to be THC cartridges causing the problems, so far there is nothing pointing at e-cigs. Again people have been vaping e-cigs for ten years, if it were the e-cigs causing the illnesses it only makes sense long term vapers would be the ones getting sick, but they are not. Itís more younger people and recent vapers, 77% of which have admitted they were vaping illegal THC cartridges, which are pretty much all counterfeit outside of legal states.
While I do agree with you about kids' experimenting as a rite of passage, not all kids will knowingly expose themselves to drugs (or vaping) that may have been laced with unknown ingredients, they may still vape though thinking it makes them look edgy and rebellious but after hearing all the bad press, etc and that uncertainty, they would have to be nuts to do it or just not that bright. I know their frontal cortexes aren't fully developed but still...

Old 09-29-2019, 07:18 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,618,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
We were all smoking in the bathroom until 83 when I graduated.

I want a Marlboro flavored vape but they don't make it lol
Actually they do... "Tobacco Red", "Marlboro Red", "Marvel Red".. among I've seen.. there is a few on the market but do your research prior. Not my thing... I've tried a few Tobacco flavored vapes to compare to my cigars; ugh... yuk.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Well, it is a mad person that would put their life at risk just to effect a certain look and be "accepted" especially now we don't even know what is really in those e-cigs.
What is more insane? Expecting government legislature to raise kids and modify their behavior in the absence of lacking of parenting.

There is nothing kids do today that wasn't something that kids did generations prior. The only difference to this madness is the now adults running the show.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I know some young people think they look cool and sexy vaping, but when I see them I feel like laughing out loud, they look kind of stupid blowing tons of smoke around their face, it's more than just cig smoke, it IS like a fog machine, looks ridiculous. And, to risk their lives doing it??? A world gone mad.
There are many vapers that are using small USB sized vaporizers with vape salts (instead of juice). You probably didn't notice them because they don't emit a lot of "fog". They emit the same amount of smoke (if not less) than a typical drag on a cigarette. It really depends on how you take a drag off of it.

But yeh... go ahead and assume that everyone is vaping like the young kids your observed...

I get a lot more attention.. a lot more.. smoking a cigar than I do my vape... and the resulting smell is a lot more noticeable. So I try to only smoke cigars away from public...

Old 09-29-2019, 07:27 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,542,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
What is more insane? Expecting government legislature to raise kids and modify their behavior in the absence of lacking of parenting.

There is nothing kids do today that wasn't something that kids did generations prior. The only difference to this madness is the now adults running the show.
I totally agree with you on the parenting aspect, if that job was done right, the kids would be doing the right thing on their own. It's very hard to be a parent in today's world though.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I totally agree with you on the parenting aspect, if that job was done right, the kids would be doing the right thing on their own. It's very hard to be a parent in today's world though.
As a parent I agree..

Here's the thing... I'd rather my kids see and understand rather than hide it and coddle them. It is the beginning of learning how to think for themselves... after all life is all about assessing risk for yourself. A lot of kids are unable of "doing the right thing on their own" because they've been sheltered and every life decision is made for them.

I also want them to understand the long term impacts of our country's efforts to legislate people's lives. When we take away peoples' ability to assess risk and make decisions for themselves we are doing nothing but throwing freedoms by the wayside.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:52 PM

21,816 posts, read 17,244,712 times
Quote:
While I do agree with you about kids' experimenting as a rite of passage, not all kids will knowingly expose themselves to drugs (or vaping) that may have been laced with unknown ingredients, they may still vape though thinking it makes them look edgy and rebellious but after hearing all the bad press, etc and that uncertainty, they would have to be nuts to do it or just not that bright. I know their frontal cortexes aren't fully developed but still...
Iím sure a lot of them are being more careful with the cartridges. The percentage of people getting ill is still tiny, I donít think you can make them representative of all youth. And when I was a youth we certainly did take chances. During concerts in the 70ís pills and other things would just be passed down the row and kids didnt give it a second thought. My primary mode of transportation from 15 to 17 was hitchhiking. Kids donít think in terms of health and mortality the way adults do, but if anything I think they do much more now then in my day. So much much smaller percentage of kids that smoke today then did in my day. And no kids that I knew deliberately eat healthy vegan gluten-free or any of that in my day were a lot of them are health-conscious in terms of food now.

But all in all I donít think kids have changed all that much through the decades. I think the older we get the more clearly we see the stupidity of some of the decisions that youth make sometimes, but when youíre that young you just donít think that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or