U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 08:29 AM

20,451 posts, read 10,656,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Itís because the vaping flavors are so appealing to kids . Iíve noticed more adults particularly women vaping or starting to vape. A couple women I know just recently purchased these very decorative expensive jeweled vapors. A group of us were out at lunch last week and one vaped more than she ate. Several asked where she got her vape device as they all loved it.

Interesting she was not a former smoker so this just started a couple months ago.
Vaping flavors is also appealing to adults. Adults have taste buds and like sweet flavors too. There are hundreds of flavored alcoholic beverages out there, but no one is trying to ban those even though they may be appealing to children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 11:00 AM

6,930 posts, read 2,542,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
As a parent I agree..

Here's the thing... I'd rather my kids see and understand rather than hide it and coddle them. It is the beginning of learning how to think for themselves... after all life is all about assessing risk for yourself. A lot of kids are unable of "doing the right thing on their own" because they've been sheltered and every life decision is made for them.

I also want them to understand the long term impacts of our country's efforts to legislate people's lives. When we take away peoples' ability to assess risk and make decisions for themselves we are doing nothing but throwing freedoms by the wayside.
Yes, parents should be open and talk with kids about issues and have them feel free to ask questions and speak about their own experiences without parents jumping all over them or judging them. If they have a problem, they should feel free to come to their parents. It's when there is this block or feeling that you can't talk about certain things with your parents that can lead to problems in the future. I heard someone say that if you teach your kids well from the beginning, it's a gift that keeps on giving, they make better informed decisions throughout their lives.

Agree too with your feelings about over legislation, I have felt that way with all kinds of things that were banned and I had not abused them, even straws, incandescent bulbs (which I don't understand to this day), but I think the legislation for vaping is to protect children, where there are some kids who just don't make good decisions because of lack of maturity or because of that feeling of invincibility so common with that age group.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:08 AM

6,930 posts, read 2,542,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Iím sure a lot of them are being more careful with the cartridges. The percentage of people getting ill is still tiny, I donít think you can make them representative of all youth. And when I was a youth we certainly did take chances. During concerts in the 70ís pills and other things would just be passed down the row and kids didnt give it a second thought. My primary mode of transportation from 15 to 17 was hitchhiking. Kids donít think in terms of health and mortality the way adults do, but if anything I think they do much more now then in my day. So much much smaller percentage of kids that smoke today then did in my day. And no kids that I knew deliberately eat healthy vegan gluten-free or any of that in my day were a lot of them are health-conscious in terms of food now.

But all in all I donít think kids have changed all that much through the decades. I think the older we get the more clearly we see the stupidity of some of the decisions that youth make sometimes, but when youíre that young you just donít think that way.
I agree with you about how kids do take chances and likely to do that without further information but when there is more information about the bad outcomes of doing something, most kids (not all) would decide not to whatever it was. Take hitchhiking, in the past, it was considered okay to hitchhike, and lots of kids, even adults did that but with the late 70s, 80s, there were a lot of bad things we read about in the papers that made everyone take notice and with this new information, hitchhiking declined rapidly till it is rarely done these days.

Yes, when I was a kid everyone ate junk food and I don't remember having friends that were vegetarians/vegans, but we didn't know in those days about the ingredients, especially high fructose syrup, and we ate happily, but kids these days know all about how the food is made, where it came from, and what it does to the body, and also the environment. They are very conscious about food and even its impact on the world. We didn't know these things back when we were young, we just knew the food tasted good

Old 09-30-2019, 01:31 PM

11,617 posts, read 3,068,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Actually the only time I got suspended was when a hall monitor caught me smoking in the bathroom in junior high, circa 1976 or 1977. I could have smoked right outside the school doors with no problem though. Of course I smoked in the bathroom a lot of times but only caught that time, because when I flushed it it came back up, lol.
I got suspended quite a few times in middle school for smoking (7th and 8th grades), even though this was the same school district that had a smoking area at Lloyd High school! I remember trying to argue that point to the principal, but it didnt work, he said, when you go to Lloyd as a freshman, you can smoke all you want on school grounds, but while you are here at Tichenor middle school, smoking is prohibited, students must be off school property to smoke.

Whats strange about those times I was suspended for smoking, once my parents found out it was due to smoking, they didnt really care too much, if I had been suspended for fighting or some other behavior related incident, I probably would have been punished at home too. I remember my mom telling me to just be more careful when smoking in school, so I dont get caught.

Old Today, 01:42 PM

10,084 posts, read 5,618,960 times
* Decent explanation of the current state of things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51WLZDDtFT4

* The latest findings from the investigation into lung injuries associated with e-cigarette use, or vaping, suggest THC products play a role in the outbreak. Most of the people (77%) in this outbreak reported using THC-containing products, or both THC-containing products and nicotine-containing products, according to a report published today in the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR).

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...hc-vaping.html

It is important to note that THC is illegal in many areas and not everyone with illness is willing to admit illegal substance use.

* Possible theory on big tobacco involvement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_DlBFlVk_0

Here is a wiki about the Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement mentioned in the segment... its all about money.

* Patient speaks out against an interview that was misrepresented. A patient who doesn't smoke nor vape nicotine products but only THC products. The new 7 channel misrepresented his interview and edited it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdcyjbAteY

There are numerous reports of counterfeit products that are suspect. In particular I've heard Dank Vapes coming up several times. I found this surprising as i've seen Dank vapes cartridges being sold in the open and glad I didn't partake.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/vapin...esses-n1059616

Last edited by usayit; Today at 02:36 PM..

Old Today, 03:43 PM

21,813 posts, read 17,244,712 times
Yesterday the CDC came out and gave an official warning not to buy or use THC cartridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or