U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 03:44 PM

10,649 posts, read 13,338,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
People need to just quit smoking. I did it. Hubby did it. Friends and family have done it. It's a sick and disgusting habit that society shouldn't tolerate anywhere in public, whether it's from blowing out smoke or vapor into the air we breathe.

And like BirdieBelle said... people look stupid doing it.
I agree. I quit, and I LOVED smoking. Especially with coffee or a pint of beer. People are getting sick faster now with the vaping then from regular cigarettes. I always thought there would be issues down the line with the vaping. You really cant substitute vices. Quit, or cut down at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 04:00 PM

21,657 posts, read 17,171,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
I wrote, "Aside from the oily substances, and fatty deposits known as lipoid (it means fats) pneumonia....". As in the various insults already present to the lungs.

How in the world could you think that passage somehow translates to, "Including being oily substances,...."?

You guys are really getting bogged down in a very specific argument...just saying, maybe have a private conversation.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:14 PM

16,809 posts, read 16,943,278 times
Great point, the lungs do not like concentrated nastiness going into them on a regular basis.

I am really shocked at the amount of young people I see smoking/vaping, wow.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:18 PM

5,080 posts, read 8,201,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I don't know that these were actually school sanctioned areas but more likely areas where the students wouldn't get in trouble for smoking. If someone has some insight on the school actually formalizing these areas (i.e. putting a sign up that says "designated student smoking area", etc.), I'd be interested in knowing.
90s were right on the cusp. I went to a 6th-12th grade school, and I remember my first year there, there was a smoking area for the high school kids, but my second year it was gone.

So about 1990-92 was when the transition happened in my neck of the woods.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:13 PM

5,108 posts, read 3,592,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I agree. I smoked for over 50 years, and I quit 3 years ago the hard way. But I go out of my way not to preach to others about their habit. I have nothing to brag about, because I should have done it long ago. In the end I quit because I had to if I wanted better my chances to keep on living. As another poster said, you have to want to quit and make that commitment totally. Everyone is different, and what works for one person may not for the next. Being judgmental & lecturing is not the way to get people to quit.
I purposely moved into a no smoking complex that doesn't even allow smoking on the grounds after my doctor told me I was putting my heart in grave danger by smoking.

It's been hard and I get cravings at odd times, but this is the only thing that worked for me. If I want to smoke I would have to drive out of the complex to do it. It's more trouble than it's worth.

I am grateful to have finally stopped smoking but it did take my doctor telling me it was killing me to give me the incentive to quit.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:19 PM

58 posts, read 12,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Or you can just quit. I did. It takes a few days for the nicotine to come out of your system. After that itís all psychological. As a former smoker I can tell you that if you want to quit I mean really want to itís doable. Iíve gone through the ďI want to quitĒ stage but didnít really so the gum didnít work. When I actually wanted to quit I literally put out my cigarette gave my pack of smokes away and never touched it again. I never had the cravings. It was like turning off a switch. Itís been 15/16 years and I never felt the craving.
Good for you, but why do you assume everyone will have the same experience you had? Maybe you should thank your lucky stars that you had it so easy.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:38 PM

4,167 posts, read 3,188,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
And here we go (this won't be controversial at all)...

It just seems funny that you guys are terming it "sick," "disgusting," and "nasty," yet you willfully did it. Now that you've quit, you're looking down on those who do. Seems very common with people who quit something. "I tried it but never got addicted." Thank your lucky stars, I guess?

I'm not a smoker, but I never get the rage against them. Ex-smokers can be the worst. (Like ex-overweighters, ex-alcoholics, etc....)
Growing up I tried cigarettes three times due to peer pressure. Fortunately I never became addicted. My father also smoked for several years including most of my childhood. I will not pass judgment on smokers and I have had several friends over the years who smoked and I hung around them while they smoked. To this day secondhand smoke has never bothered me. Sometimes I feel like an anomaly as a non-smoker who is tolerant of smokers.

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 09-22-2019 at 07:54 PM..

Old 09-22-2019, 09:50 PM

592 posts, read 208,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont take this seriously, I mean, Cmon, there have been around 6 deaths related to these modern Ecigs and vaping...but when you look at regular cigarettes, they kill 500K every year and NO ONE even suggests banning them?!!!
Flavored (non-e) cigarettes have been illegal since 2009.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:19 PM

11,496 posts, read 3,028,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
In what part of the world were high school students given accommodations within a school to smoke in the 1990's?
Lloyd Memorial High school, Erlanger, KY. We had a student smoking lounge (outdoor courtyard area). I used it for the last part of the 94 school year, but I believe it was taken out in 1995 or 96. Funny thing is, it wasnt removed due to health or safety concerns, students were abusing it, (going to the area between classes and would always be late for classes), this is the reason they got rid of it.

The really crazy thing, Tichenor Middle School, right next to Lloyd HS, they did not allow students to smoke (on the property), in the handbook, they instructed students who smoked, to cross the street and stand on the corner to smoke ( I remember there was always large crowds of kids smoking on the corner before school and at lunch...and this was MIDDLE SCHOOL, 6th grade to 8th grade!!!)

This was the only high school in the area that permitted students to smoke though.

The strange part about this, NO ONE ever complained to the school about it,(not even about the middle school kids smoking on the corner) plus, it was an outdoor courtyard, so non smoking students used it as well, to eat lunch or just hang out, again, NO ONE ever complained about the smoking area.

Last edited by rstevens62; 09-22-2019 at 10:31 PM..

Old 09-23-2019, 12:15 AM

7,339 posts, read 4,053,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Lloyd Memorial High school, Erlanger, KY. We had a student smoking lounge (outdoor courtyard area). I used it for the last part of the 94 school year, but I believe it was taken out in 1995 or 96. Funny thing is, it wasnt removed due to health or safety concerns, students were abusing it, (going to the area between classes and would always be late for classes), this is the reason they got rid of it.

The really crazy thing, Tichenor Middle School, right next to Lloyd HS, they did not allow students to smoke (on the property), in the handbook, they instructed students who smoked, to cross the street and stand on the corner to smoke ( I remember there was always large crowds of kids smoking on the corner before school and at lunch...and this was MIDDLE SCHOOL, 6th grade to 8th grade!!!)

This was the only high school in the area that permitted students to smoke though.

The strange part about this, NO ONE ever complained to the school about it,(not even about the middle school kids smoking on the corner) plus, it was an outdoor courtyard, so non smoking students used it as well, to eat lunch or just hang out, again, NO ONE ever complained about the smoking area.
Kentucky, huh? Did they also reserve space for the enjoyment of bourbon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or