U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2019, 11:14 AM

3,400 posts, read 5,882,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont take this seriously, I mean, Cmon, there have been around 6 deaths related to these modern Ecigs and vaping...but when you look at regular cigarettes, they kill 500K every year and NO ONE even suggests banning them?!!!

Lots of people say "its all about the money"...but if that is true, Ecigs are selling very well right now...why would they want to throw a wrench into that and loose revenue? Doesnt make sense.

Medical experts and doctors knew how dangerous cigarettes were in the 90s and that didnt change the fact our high school allowed students to smoke, they had a smoking lounge, students could fire up between classes or at lunch...point is, they KNEW how dangerous it was and still allowed schools to have smoking areas for students, Im not sure why they are acting like they care so much now, I dont think its fooling anyone though.
This is dead-on. What older adults are doing is seeing the news and getting worked up about it is absolutely sensationalistic and is fueled by ignorance.

Side bar: I don't vape. I have no horse in this race.

But there is literally no connection right now to what product anyone was using and that most of the kids were buying nonsense on the street because it's CHEAPER.

But the general connection between vaping THC or nicotine and this is spurious at best.

What it likely is is cigarette manufacturers final stand against something that has quickly and efficiently stolen away what little remained of the teenage market. And look at the population of people... hook, line, and sinker.

Now if the rest of the country can just get aboard the edible marijuana train, maybe we can make some actual progress.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 01:35 PM

7,354 posts, read 4,059,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
The fact that it was reported that Illinois reported the first, followed by Indiana, Kansas, and Minnesota, not necessarily in that order, may not be the single point of origin, it makes it highly suspect. Again logic comes into play. No matter how much you wish the total vaping industry is to blame does not make it so. I place the blame on individual choice of adding or buying untested products.
You've just mentioned three states, I also saw six deaths in Idaho, you cited young people in New York - in other words, it's all over the place. That means "it may be that there is one cause or many causes," from congressional testimony today. If the scientists can't pinpoint the source of problem, you can't either. That's logic in play.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:47 PM

21,683 posts, read 17,185,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I went to school in the 90s... Kids Grade Grades 10+ were allowed to smoke in a designated area behind the school. This was still in effect as of 2002. Not sure about now.
Yes commonly smoking was still pretty much accepted in the 90s. I had a student internship in college in 95, and the hospital I worked at had a smoking room right inside the hospital.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You've just mentioned three states, I also saw six deaths in Idaho, you cited young people in New York - in other words, it's all over the place. That means "it may be that there is one cause or many causes," from congressional testimony today. If the scientists can't pinpoint the source of problem, you can't either. That's logic in play.
I don’t think anyone stated we know for certain. It’s actually some of the others on here who are ready to shut down companies and ban a product used by millions based on their own unsubstantiated belief of what’s causing it. But contamination is a better hypothesis than thinking that all vaping causes this disease because obviously the percentage of people getting it is much too small for that to be the case. As is the fact that many of the people getting the disease are fairly recent vapors versus long-term which makes no sense.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:53 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,423,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Stay tuned, they will eventually, and it will be akin to what I have been posting.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:29 PM

179 posts, read 389,419 times
Over and over again, the bootleg THC cartridges make the news.
Kids are filling empty cartridges with all kinds of crap to make a fast buck.

Look at the pics from second link - these are drug dealers. I'm thinking blueberry e-juice is not the problem. It’s like banning red plastic cups because underage kids use them for beer pong.

Minnesota officials seize 77,000 illegal THC vape cartridges worth $3.8 million as CDC warns bootleg e-cigs may be linked to hundreds of illnesses

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...8-million.html

Inside the illegal THC-infused vaping empire two brothers ran from rented Wisconsin condo

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sin-condo.html

Old 09-25-2019, 02:48 PM

8,163 posts, read 3,189,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree, but all these people that have gotten sick I don’t think are from e-cigarettes. Many of them of admitted to using THC cartridges as well as vaping nicotine. The market is flooded with counterfeit THC cartridges from China. I think theres a batch of contaminated cartridges.
Correct, not legally manufactured ecig cartridges:
Minnesota cops seize over 76K marijuana vaping cartridges in Anoka County
Tim Nelson and Cody Nelson / St. Paul / September 24, 2019 2:18 p.m.
”...Policehttps://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/09/24/minnesota-cops-seize-75k-marijuana-vaping-cartridges-in-anoka-co say the seizure was a “record amount” of the cartridges, and it comes as vaping-related health concerns persist nationwide.

The cartridges “are believed to have come from out of state for distribution in Minnesota,” the Minnesota Department of Public Safety said in a statement.

Hundreds of severe lung illnesses and, media reports say, at least nine deaths, including one in Minnesota, have been tied to vaping.

Minnesota Department of Health Assistant Commissioner Daniel Huff said that there was no confirmed link to the recent vaping related illnesses and the cache of vape cartridges authorities found Monday, but he said that there was a link between THC vaping and the 43 confirmed illnesses and 24 cases under review by health officials.”

Old 09-25-2019, 03:42 PM

600 posts, read 209,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I went to school in the 90s... Kids Grade Grades 10+ were allowed to smoke in a designated area behind the school. This was still in effect as of 2002. Not sure about now.
I remember my parents telling me to NEVER smoke well before 2002, and I remember a teacher saying the same and talking about second-hand smoke in 2002 or 2003.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Correct, not legally manufactured ecig cartridges:
Minnesota cops seize over 76K marijuana vaping cartridges in Anoka County
Tim Nelson and Cody Nelson / St. Paul / September 24, 2019 2:18 p.m.
”...Policehttps://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/09/24/minnesota-cops-seize-75k-marijuana-vaping-cartridges-in-anoka-co say the seizure was a “record amount” of the cartridges, and it comes as vaping-related health concerns persist nationwide.

The cartridges “are believed to have come from out of state for distribution in Minnesota,” the Minnesota Department of Public Safety said in a statement.

Hundreds of severe lung illnesses and, media reports say, at least nine deaths, including one in Minnesota, have been tied to vaping.

Minnesota Department of Health Assistant Commissioner Daniel Huff said that there was no confirmed link to the recent vaping related illnesses and the cache of vape cartridges authorities found Monday, but he said that there was a link between THC vaping and the 43 confirmed illnesses and 24 cases under review by health officials.”

Yes, this is what I think it is, too. My fiance and I were given cartridges by someone, and they tasted really weird, like chemicals, very unlike the ones I had tried before. I started doing a little research (and also we tossed them). There were many, many articles about the counterfeits, and one stated outright, if you're not in a legal state and you're buying cartridges, you're buying counterfeits. The legal states control quantity and keep track of it much too tightly to allow all these tens of thousands of carts to be suddenly available in non-legal states.

Of course, the solution is legalization and regulation, get rid of the market for the counterfeits and you stop the problems stemming from them. But of course they won't do that. They will end up banning e-cigarettes as a knee-jerk reaction, then of course a ban results in one thing....you just created a huge market for counterfeit e-cigs, too.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:46 PM

10,245 posts, read 8,024,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Plus you look stupid doing it.
Except when it's an attractive guy doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or