U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,108,825 times

Advertisements

An arrest should imply that a crime was committed. This incident says a lot more about the officer than it does a 6 yr old child. Unless the child unreasonably hit another kid or teacher, I don't see why an arrest was warranted because 6 year olds should be expected to have tantrums.

It has been reported that the officer has a history of question means of force and has a lot of people scratching their heads as to why they were assigned as a school resource officer. The cynic in me thinks it was a favor to him so he could collect a bigger pension rather than be fired years ago.
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

452 posts, read 158,452 times
Noone gets a free pass to assault other people, even children. I dont let my 5 year old assault people, but he has gotten into spats with other kids before and both parents intervened and noone was arrested.

Nov3 I didnt say to excuse any behavior with kids will be kids but a 6 year old having a tantrum is not an offense you arrest a child for.

Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM

7,828 posts, read 4,641,859 times
Orlando Police have terminated Officer Dennis Turner after the arrest of two 6yr old's at school. Police Chief has apologized to families of kids

Orlando police officer who arrested 6-year-old students fired; kids won’t be prosecuted, state attorney says

Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM

391 posts, read 278,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
And imagine the headlines if the teacher had so much as even just touched this kid:
"School Teacher Suspended for Excessive Force in Restraining 6 Year Old Without Cause: Family Calls for Immediate Criminal Investigation."

Teachers are hamstrung for dealing with disruptive kids. Feel sorry for them.
As the spouse of a teacher, THIS.

Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM

11,113 posts, read 4,520,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Orlando Police have terminated Officer Dennis Turner after the arrest of two 6yr old's at school. Police Chief has apologized to families of kids

Orlando police officer who arrested 6-year-old students fired; kids won’t be prosecuted, state attorney says
I can't read the article - reached my limit, but I agree. That's too much - something else needs to be done to allow the school to correct small children's behavior that doesn't involve the juvenile court system.

Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM

4,967 posts, read 1,922,558 times
But a teacher would also be reprimanded, if not arrested, if she physically restrained the tantruming child. So what is the answer?

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

26,517 posts, read 33,549,351 times
Impossible to know the real story with this girl, but it was beyond ridiculous to arrest her. I suspect she is a brat, she was clearly putting on a sympathy show in the newscast...from all the crap in her room she could be a spoiled brat that has learned to have tantrums to get what she wants. No mother in the picture either. IF her behavior was that bad, she should be given a suspension - 2 weeks or something like that. NOT arrested. That's just crazy.

Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM

5,633 posts, read 2,288,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I can't read the article - reached my limit, but I agree. That's too much - something else needs to be done to allow the school to correct small children's behavior that doesn't involve the juvenile court system.
The important part of the article.

Quote:
Orlando Police Department Officer Dennis Turner, who sparked national outrage after arresting two 6-year-old students at a charter school last week, has been fired, Chief Orlando Rolón said Monday evening.

Rolón said the arrests made him “sick to [his] stomach.” He apologized to the children and their families.
“I can only imagine how traumatic this was for everyone involved,” he said at a press conference.

Earlier in the day, State Attorney Aramis Ayala confirmed that her office would not prosecute the children and is working to clear their records.

“I refuse to knowingly play any role in the school-to-prison pipeline,” Ayala said. “... The criminal process ends here today. The children will not be prosecuted.”
The rest of the article explained that the cop should have used de escalation techniques, and discussed the devastating effects the arrests will have on the children's development. Hopefully the families sue and win big.

Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM

11,113 posts, read 4,520,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The important part of the article.

The rest of the article explained that the cop should have used de escalation techniques, and discussed the devastating effects the arrests will have on the children's development. Hopefully the families sue and win big.
Or maybe the families are going to be part of the planning for future procedures in how to deal with very out of control children? It seems like it would be a really good idea to form a committee - parents, teachers, counselors, law enforcement, to come up with a plan that doesn't involve arresting elementary school kids.

Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,134,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
What a crazy story. This seems like a major over reaction on the schools part and on the police’s part. I can see her being suspended for this but arrested? Insane.
I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
And imagine the headlines if the teacher had so much as even just touched this kid:
"School Teacher Suspended for Excessive Force in Restraining 6 Year Old Without Cause: Family Calls for Immediate Criminal Investigation."

Teachers are hamstrung for dealing with disruptive kids. Feel sorry for them.
I agree with this too. I think it was insane to arrest a six year old, but I have deep sympathy for the teachers and other
people who work at the school.

While arresting a six year old for having a temper tantrum is over the top crazy, in all honesty by the age of six
they should not still be having temper tantrums.How can you begin to get about the business of education, while this is
going on?
And the poor Educators and school staff are stuck in the middle of all this, or the other students that are in the same class as a child acting like this...it's not fair or right on that end either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Arresting a 6 yo is ridiculous. However, a 6 yo throwing a tantrum at school is also ridiculous IMO. It's no wonder that teachers leave the profession so often now because they have to deal with so many children who have not been taught to behave. Tantrums in preschool are normal but in first or second grade? Expel her for 2 weeks and hopefully grandma will teach her to behave.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or