U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2019, 09:43 PM

13,252 posts, read 21,073,929 times

Advertisements

Twenty years ago my own 6 yr old kicked his teacher. It was his first day in a new school, we moved after the school year started. My husband and I took him to his new classroom and the teacher came out to get him. He was scared, and didn't want to leave us, she grabbed him by his upper arm and marched him into the classroom, shutting the door behind her. We were appalled, but quite honestly, didn't want to make a scene. Apparently when she didn't release his arm inside, he kicked her. But, he was a blue-eyed blond little boy in an upscale neighborhood, so it went no further than a meeting with the principal. He apologized to the teacher, she was reprimanded for the way she handled it, the end.

Teachers should not try to restrain children unless they are a danger to themselves or others. In this case, the teacher grabbed the child's hands to "calm her down". Bad move, obviously. Call the parents, not the police.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 10:55 PM

5,729 posts, read 4,031,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
For the record, he is being investigated, only for failing to get approval for the arrests from his watch commander. He is not getting in trouble for arresting kids over nothing, only for not following protocol.
He should be suspended without pay for a week or two. You don't arrest someone that young.

I have Asperger's syndrome, and unfortunately, I was sometimes violent when I was a little kid. In October 1999, when I was 6, I threw an apple across the entire 1st grade classroom, about three rows back, and nailed a girl in the forehead. She started crying immediately. I am very grateful that I didn't seriously injure her. No one called the police, they called my parents who punished me quite severely for a 6 year old. Another time, in 1996, I ripped the hoodie off of another kid on a playground.

The last violent outburst I had was in 2000 when I was 7 years old, me and a daycare worker were in the van, she was driving and I was in the passenger seat (older van, no airbags) and I got in an argument with the driver. I wanted the armrest up, she wanted it down and eventually slammed it down and held it down with her hand. I slapped her hand, hard, about 10 times. Me and this employee never got along, she was a hard-a** who wasn't good with children but getting violent and injuring her was not the answer. I was kicked out of that daycare and punished, but arrest would have done more harm than good.

Arrest doesn't work on young children. It would scare and confuse them and possibly make them resent law enforcement later in life. The juvenile justice system is made for teens and older children. I would honestly say that the minimum age for arrest should be 9 or so, maybe 11 or so for kids with special needs.

Last edited by wawa1992; 09-23-2019 at 11:12 PM..

Old 09-23-2019, 11:40 PM

4,970 posts, read 1,927,618 times
I wonder if she was required to post baii, as a flight risk.

Old Yesterday, 03:25 AM

3,598 posts, read 1,718,096 times
So what is the purpose of the police getting involved? Is their job to restrain school children?

Old Yesterday, 05:29 AM

8,590 posts, read 6,431,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Sorry, I have to draw the line at being kicked by a 6 year old and give her a free pass for it just because she has sleep problem, or any other problem. Neither I nor anyone else needs to become a punching bag for anyone, whether he has sleep apnea or some other medical need. There was a recent story about a woman who took her autistic son on a plane, where he spent the time lying on the floor and kicking people because that's how he felt comfortable.

I don't excuse that behavior. If it had been my 90 year old mother who was getting kicked, that kid would have been being comfortable on the wing.
I agree, she shouldn't get a free pass. But she also shouldn't be arrested.

Old Yesterday, 05:31 AM

8,590 posts, read 6,431,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The important part of the article.

The rest of the article explained that the cop should have used de escalation techniques, and discussed the devastating effects the arrests will have on the children's development. Hopefully the families sue and win big.
Which begs the question why they really need a cop to step in with this stuff in the first place. De-escalation techniques for a bratty kid, or a kid with a learning disorder or behavior disorder, is something schools should be equipped to deal with (and usually are.)

Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM

4,970 posts, read 1,927,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
So what is the purpose of the police getting involved? Is their job to restrain school children?
School doesn't want responsibility. Always safe to call police, pass off liability. Calling police to make all decisions, and your hands are clean. Police are never wrong, by definition. Smart school, has that figured out.

Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM

4,801 posts, read 6,820,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
School doesn't want responsibility. Always safe to call police, pass off liability. Calling police to make all decisions, and your hands are clean. Police are never wrong, by definition. Smart school, has that figured out.

lol Except he WAS wrong, and the cop was punished for it

Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM

7,381 posts, read 2,674,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The six year old is the size of an eight year old. Throwing her weight around is a way of life for her.
It is very likely there will be news events in her future. Granny will make excuses then, too.

You know this...how?

And I still can't find comments from anyone who claims to know what's going on with this kid. Not saying it's not out there. Probably blame it on my research skills.

Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM

7,381 posts, read 2,674,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I wonder if she was required to post baii, as a flight risk.

I'm not sure if this was meant as sarcasm...but in actuality, she wasn't booked, wasn't fingerprinted, no mug shot, no bail, not a flight risk. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or