U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 08:50 AM

513 posts, read 136,098 times

Advertisements

As long as we are all armchair commentators....

I sense this was not a one-off incident and an escalation in the classroom with the home caretakers (who ever they are) passing off a 'special needs'/behaviorial challenged kid to the school and the teacher.

So, where is the all the talk here about the home situation?

Or, what about all the other kids in the classroom and how their classroom experiences have been disrupted? What about them?

Oh wait - this is all about the 'click bait' thread title (read as: evil teacher calls cops on poor little girl)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 09:07 AM

5,382 posts, read 2,470,383 times
The 'try to sound like one of them me' says:

SROs don't belong in elementary schools; that's a waste of resources & sleep apnea that affects behavior is a qualifier for at least a 504.

The 'me that knows better' says:

But seriously just quit trying already; now go stick your heads back in the sand. Maybe we can import children from somewhere where the grown-ups actually are & one in every seven children are not impacted by disability/chronic physical/mental health conditions. It's WAY too late to wring your hands/clutch your pearls.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:25 AM

8,590 posts, read 6,436,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
As long as we are all armchair commentators....

I sense this was not a one-off incident and an escalation in the classroom with the home caretakers (who ever they are) passing off a 'special needs'/behaviorial challenged kid to the school and the teacher.
That's probably true and all the more reason to make it unexcusable; they knew they had a kid with issues

Quote:
So, where is the all the talk here about the home situation?
That probably has something to do with it. However, it appears Grandma is somewhat involved and aware and probably the primary guardian. Is it ideal? No. But solving that problem is a much bigger societal issue if it can be solved at all. The kid being raised by Grandma is probably the best possible option she has.

Quote:
Or, what about all the other kids in the classroom and how their classroom experiences have been disrupted? What about them?
Not totally relevant. The school needs to be able to deal with these things. If the girl needs to be in a special ed classroom, needs a 504 or IEP or whatever, it needs to be handled.
Quote:
Oh wait - this is all about the 'click bait' thread title (read as: evil teacher calls cops on poor little girl)
It is an inappropriate overreaction. Period. Like dragging the neighborhood teenager out of his car and administering a beatdown because he sped past your kids playing in the yard. Or shooting your neighbor's dog when it runs away into your yard.

Every school district deals with this, on a daily basis. Some deal with more of it than others (socioeconomic factors, etc,) some have better resources to deal with it (again, socioeconomic factors relating to funding,) and most of the time they aren't calling the cops on anyone.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:41 AM

5,634 posts, read 2,294,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
He should be suspended without pay for a week or two. You don't arrest someone that young.

I have Asperger's syndrome, and unfortunately, I was sometimes violent when I was a little kid. In October 1999, when I was 6, I threw an apple across the entire 1st grade classroom, about three rows back, and nailed a girl in the forehead. She started crying immediately. I am very grateful that I didn't seriously injure her. No one called the police, they called my parents who punished me quite severely for a 6 year old. Another time, in 1996, I ripped the hoodie off of another kid on a playground.

The last violent outburst I had was in 2000 when I was 7 years old, me and a daycare worker were in the van, she was driving and I was in the passenger seat (older van, no airbags) and I got in an argument with the driver. I wanted the armrest up, she wanted it down and eventually slammed it down and held it down with her hand. I slapped her hand, hard, about 10 times. Me and this employee never got along, she was a hard-a** who wasn't good with children but getting violent and injuring her was not the answer. I was kicked out of that daycare and punished, but arrest would have done more harm than good.

Arrest doesn't work on young children. It would scare and confuse them and possibly make them resent law enforcement later in life. The juvenile justice system is made for teens and older children. I would honestly say that the minimum age for arrest should be 9 or so, maybe 11 or so for kids with special needs.
He is already fired, as he should have been. Unfortunately cops being fired, doesn't usually mean much. It just means that he will get a job with another department. Police departments just trade the bad apples back and forth, to appease the general public, and make people think they actually care about this type of bad conduct by police officers.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:42 AM

22,861 posts, read 14,973,810 times
The little girl may well have been out of control during her tantrum, and for all we know, was a danger to herself or others. Public school teachers deal with situations like this all the time. This is a private school. They have the option to expel a student permanently. It is also possible that their staff is not trained to deal with a magnitude of misbehavior.

I believe that the school safety director greatly over reacted. You do not arrest 6 year olds. Period. IMO, grandma and child need counseling. The sleep apnea needs better treatment.

There might be an underlying medical condition that exacerbates the apnea, and the bad behavior. But child needs help in learning how to control bad impulses. It might be she needs a less structured school. But arresting her? Foolish and damaging.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:37 AM

8,285 posts, read 5,927,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Orlando Police have terminated Officer Dennis Turner after the arrest of two 6yr old's at school. Police Chief has apologized to families of kids

Orlando police officer who arrested 6-year-old students fired; kids won’t be prosecuted, state attorney says
I'm glad he was reprimanded but fired was a bit much. Maybe apologize to the little girl and parents and then suspended.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:02 PM

513 posts, read 136,098 times
Regarding the other kids in the classroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Not totally relevant. The school needs to be able to deal with these things. If the girl needs to be in a special ed classroom, needs a 504 or IEP or whatever, it needs to be handled.
It is totally relevant. If one child is a disruptive element (habitual I'm guessing from my armchair), then the child needs to be removed. The classroom is a group environment for the purposes of instructional learning; time is valuable as is the learning setting. It is not about one kid in a classroom.

I'd be willing to bet that the other kids are worried; maybe they've been worried about being subjected to the focus of this kids' tantrums. Maybe they've kept it buried or maybe they've told their parents that they don't want to be in the same room as this kid.

That one child destroys a classroom setting is not fair to the other kids. A teacher is there to teach, not to be a babysitter or psychotherapist.

The school needs to deal with this kid??? F'no, not it my book; the caregivers in the home environment do.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:47 PM

7,392 posts, read 2,679,543 times
Quote:

It is totally relevant. If one child is a disruptive element (habitual I'm guessing from my armchair), then the child needs to be removed. The classroom is a group environment for the purposes of instructional learning; time is valuable as is the learning setting. It is not about one kid in a classroom.

I'd be willing to bet that the other kids are worried; maybe they've been worried about being subjected to the focus of this kids' tantrums. Maybe they've kept it buried or maybe they've told their parents that they don't want to be in the same room as this kid.

That one child destroys a classroom setting is not fair to the other kids. A teacher is there to teach, not to be a babysitter or psychotherapist.

The school needs to deal with this kid??? F'no, not it my book; the caregivers in the home environment do.

Good thing it's not your book.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:08 PM

8,590 posts, read 6,436,123 times
Quote:

Actually, legally, they do. It's not exactly a new or revolutionary thing either. The state provides you an education til your 18 if you want it, 16 if you insist on opting out. There are kids out there that are far worse than she is.

At some level, there are even separate schools for them. Should the kid be in a mainstream classroom? Hard to say. But she should be in school, and the school should know how to deal with her.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:54 PM

5,583 posts, read 2,882,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

The rest of the article explained that the cop should have used de escalation techniques, and discussed the devastating effects the arrests will have on the children's development. Hopefully the families sue and win big.
Call it a hunch, but I don't think deescalation techniques would work on this child. And what do you do if the child is already hitting another child or teacher? Even small children can do a lot of damage to another small child. How long are you going to work on deescalation when the child is kicking and hitting someone else's kid and if you're the parent of the kid being hit, how laid back are you going to be about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Or maybe the families are going to be part of the planning for future procedures in how to deal with very out of control children? It seems like it would be a really good idea to form a committee - parents, teachers, counselors, law enforcement, to come up with a plan that doesn't involve arresting elementary school kids.
I can assure you that any plan that would have been put into action would have resulted in the grandmother of this girl having a fit about it.

The biggest problem is the children with the most difficulties in school and the ones who are the most violent and bullying are the ones who don't have parents at home that care about it. Ask any teacher how many parents they get showing up on parent-teacher nights or how many parents show concern about their child being a bully.

Yet if their children act up, those parents are always the first ones to complain about how the problem is handled. In fact, many of them complain because the think it's the school's fault their kids are like this in the first place.

Today we have way too many parents thinking "it takes a village" means the village is going to do all the parenting work for them and they don't have to lift a finger to raise their kids.

------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so the officer was fired and the little girl won't be facing charges. In addition to this, she's gotten tons of media attention and probably even has the idea that what she did was OK, since she probably wasn't punished for it.

Two questions: 1) What do you think the odds are she'll be kicking her teachers again very shortly and with more impunity and 2) With the understanding the school is helpless to stop her, what do you think she'll be like when she's 13 or 14 years old?

I still also question the sleep apnea part of this. Maybe it's a case of where the child simply isn't made to go to bed when she should because she throws a temper tantrum when the grandmother tries to get her to go to sleep. God knows, we have plenty of parents who let their kids stay up late night after night with school the next day. You only have to go into a late showing at a movie theater to see those parents bringing their 5 and 6 year olds out to movies starting at 9pm and later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or