U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 03:10 PM

7,413 posts, read 2,692,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Call it a hunch, but I don't think deescalation techniques would work on this child. And what do you do if the child is already hitting another child or teacher? Even small children can do a lot of damage to another small child. How long are you going to work on deescalation when the child is kicking and hitting someone else's kid and if you're the parent of the kid being hit, how laid back are you going to be about it?

I can assure you that any plan that would have been put into action would have resulted in the grandmother of this girl having a fit about it.

The biggest problem is the children with the most difficulties in school and the ones who are the most violent and bullying are the ones who don't have parents at home that care about it. Ask any teacher how many parents they get showing up on parent-teacher nights or how many parents show concern about their child being a bully.

Yet if their children act up, those parents are always the first ones to complain about how the problem is handled. In fact, many of them complain because the think it's the school's fault their kids are like this in the first place.

Today we have way too many parents thinking "it takes a village" means the village is going to do all the parenting work for them and they don't have to lift a finger to raise their kids.

------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so the officer was fired and the little girl won't be facing charges. In addition to this, she's gotten tons of media attention and probably even has the idea that what she did was OK, since she probably wasn't punished for it.

Two questions: 1) What do you think the odds are she'll be kicking her teachers again very shortly and with more impunity and 2) With the understanding the school is helpless to stop her, what do you think she'll be like when she's 13 or 14 years old?

I still also question the sleep apnea part of this. Maybe it's a case of where the child simply isn't made to go to bed when she should because she throws a temper tantrum when the grandmother tries to get her to go to sleep. God knows, we have plenty of parents who let their kids stay up late night after night with school the next day. You only have to go into a late showing at a movie theater to see those parents bringing their 5 and 6 year olds out to movies starting at 9pm and later.
How can you assure us? You know this family? You have information the rest of us aren't privy to? If you DO have information the rest of us don't have, please share. Otherwise, you're only showcasing your prejudice with a LOT of pure speculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 04:21 PM

5,420 posts, read 2,479,485 times
Sleep apnea that affects a child's daytime behavior qualifies a child for at least a 504 under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

With either a 504 or an IEP, additional resources would be available to support the student & the teacher.

Is it okay that so many kids now qualify for SPED services? No but it's only getting worse, not better & it's public health authorities who should be involved; not public safety.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:28 PM

21,727 posts, read 17,200,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
And imagine the headlines if the teacher had so much as even just touched this kid:
"School Teacher Suspended for Excessive Force in Restraining 6 Year Old Without Cause: Family Calls for Immediate Criminal Investigation."

Teachers are hamstrung for dealing with disruptive kids. Feel sorry for them.
No one claimed that the resource officer shouldn’t of stepped in. However he could have de-escalated the situation and restrain the child without arresting her. You make it sound like 30 years ago the teacher could’ve hurt her, it’s not the case. This was overkill.

I’ve worked in nursing homes for 20 years. We have had multiple incidents through the years with someone with dementia or a psychotic disorder is acting out, throwing things etc. Every time a bunch of women manage to restrain this person without hurting them. The school resource officer should’ve been able to restrain a six-year-old girl without arresting her.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:22 PM

3,322 posts, read 2,333,720 times
Reminds me of this case in where a six-year old is being charged with felony sexual assault for “playing doctor”. https://rosscgoodman.com/criminal-de...six-years-old/

In my day end up getting a whipping for that be done with it. Back then even schools had a paddle had a choice take a paddling or call your parents which meant worse whipping when you get home. Do I think it was wright or wrong not sure but I know 6 year old should not be arrested that's crazy .

Old 09-24-2019, 06:38 PM

205 posts, read 41,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
What a crazy story. This seems like a major over reaction on the schools part and on the police’s part. I can see her being suspended for this but arrested? Insane.
I agree. Someone under 10 should not be held accountable for crimes, and even they only should for something extremely serious if they're under 13.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:37 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,727,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
School doesn't want responsibility. Always safe to call police, pass off liability. Calling police to make all decisions, and your hands are clean. Police are never wrong, by definition. Smart school, has that figured out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
lol Except he WAS wrong, and the cop was punished for it
Exactly. Now when the police gets the call, they will ask "What is your emergency?"

Old 09-24-2019, 08:43 PM

9,636 posts, read 8,592,000 times
Back in the day when Southwest had seats that face each other, I once got kicked by a child from Kansas City to Raleigh. I wish I could have had that child arrested and the mother.

Three hundred times I asked the mother and the child to stop kicking me. The mother would smile, the child would kick me.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:52 AM

4,835 posts, read 6,832,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Back in the day when Southwest had seats that face each other, I once got kicked by a child from Kansas City to Raleigh. I wish I could have had that child arrested and the mother.

Three hundred times I asked the mother and the child to stop kicking me. The mother would smile, the child would kick me.
I would have started kicking the mother each time her kid kicked me, I dont care what people would have said lol

Old 09-25-2019, 04:40 AM

21,727 posts, read 17,200,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I would have started kicking the mother each time her kid kicked me, I dont care what people would have said lol
I would’ve made a complete to the flight attendant and try to get upgraded to first class.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:45 AM

11,082 posts, read 21,700,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Orlando Police have terminated Officer Dennis Turner after the arrest of two 6yr old's at school. Police Chief has apologized to families of kids

Orlando police officer who arrested 6-year-old students fired; kids won’t be prosecuted, state attorney says
I think he was fired because he shouldn't have been assigned at a school because he has a child abuse charge from his own kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or