U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 05:32 AM

4,873 posts, read 6,858,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Maybe more details would be helpful. I don't think there is a security problem when a 6 year old is having a tantrum. I am having trouble understanding why he was called.

He wasn't called, he was working at the school !!!! What is there to not understand here? smh

he could have been in the office when the child was brought in, he could have been walking the halls and saw the teacher struggling with the child, its not critical to the story about where he was or why. it was his JOB to be there lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 05:32 AM

6,513 posts, read 6,613,515 times
As a teacher in the inner city. I’ve had 5-8 year old bring weapons to school, one kicked me in the stomach to hurt my baby, and assaulted several times. I have had to repeatedly evacuate my class to avoid any of them being hurt. There really is nothing to be done until they calm down, and they can do major damage. Chairs and desks thrown etc... I’m shocked the child was placed in handcuffs, but we don’t know what prompted that.

Our administrators have gotten black eyes and bruises from small children. Luckily, mine have been minor.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:06 AM

2,266 posts, read 686,836 times
She should have been sent home and suspended. What an absolutely ridiculous thing to put a 6 year old child through.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:01 PM

3,356 posts, read 2,351,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
As a teacher in the inner city. Iíve had 5-8 year old bring weapons to school, one kicked me in the stomach to hurt my baby, and assaulted several times. I have had to repeatedly evacuate my class to avoid any of them being hurt. There really is nothing to be done until they calm down, and they can do major damage. Chairs and desks thrown etc... Iím shocked the child was placed in handcuffs, but we donít know what prompted that.

Our administrators have gotten black eyes and bruises from small children. Luckily, mine have been minor.

Since kids grow really fast the difference between a 5 year old and 8 year old is a lot. My guess the kicking, and weapons were 7-8 year old kids not 5. 8 year old children have committed murder so would not surprise me that they end up being arrested. https://www.kold.com/story/9320428/8...degree-murder/

This circumstance it's possible officer over reacted, but no one has heard his side of the story.

I agree with what your saying is that teachers and administrators are limited to what they can do with a situation were a child is physically combative. Where maybe 30-40 years ago school administration had lot more freedom disciplining children.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:29 AM
Lou

315 posts, read 126,868 times
I remember a school employee posting somewhere that her school was told by the police to call them for anything at all. I'd hope most schools aren't that extreme.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:37 PM

1,486 posts, read 932,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Sorry, I have to draw the line at being kicked by a 6 year old and give her a free pass for it just because she has sleep problem, or any other problem. Neither I nor anyone else needs to become a punching bag for anyone, whether he has sleep apnea or some other medical need. There was a recent story about a woman who took her autistic son on a plane, where he spent the time lying on the floor and kicking people because that's how he felt comfortable.

I don't excuse that behavior. If it had been my 90 year old mother who was getting kicked, that kid would have been being comfortable on the wing.
There's a big difference between giving a six-year-old kid a "free pass" for kicking people while having a tantrum and arresting the child. The child should have been marched to the principal's office, given a talking-to, then sent home to Grandma for a day or more's suspension and the principal should have told Grandma to correct the child's behavior or the kid would be expelled if the behavior continued.

But a six-year-old child should not be arrested for acting out in a temper tantrum. That's overkill.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:32 AM

3,760 posts, read 1,755,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
He wasn't called, he was working at the school !!!! What is there to not understand here? smh

he could have been in the office when the child was brought in, he could have been walking the halls and saw the teacher struggling with the child, its not critical to the story about where he was or why. it was his JOB to be there lol
He could've... he could've been told what were his responsibilities. It's not like he's the boss.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:51 AM

4,873 posts, read 6,858,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
He could've... he could've been told what were his responsibilities. It's not like he's the boss.
And he was fired for being wrong. SO he was probably told his responsibilities and neglected to follow through correctly.

You were questioning why he was called, thats what I replied to and tried to answer. smh

Old 09-29-2019, 01:54 PM

11,150 posts, read 21,750,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post

I don't think they actually read the story linked

Old 09-29-2019, 02:08 PM

11,150 posts, read 21,750,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Spoiler
Call it a hunch, but I don't think deescalation techniques would work on this child. And what do you do if the child is already hitting another child or teacher? Even small children can do a lot of damage to another small child. How long are you going to work on deescalation when the child is kicking and hitting someone else's kid and if you're the parent of the kid being hit, how laid back are you going to be about it?

I can assure you that any plan that would have been put into action would have resulted in the grandmother of this girl having a fit about it.

The biggest problem is the children with the most difficulties in school and the ones who are the most violent and bullying are the ones who don't have parents at home that care about it. Ask any teacher how many parents they get showing up on parent-teacher nights or how many parents show concern about their child being a bully.

Yet if their children act up, those parents are always the first ones to complain about how the problem is handled. In fact, many of them complain because the think it's the school's fault their kids are like this in the first place.

Today we have way too many parents thinking "it takes a village" means the village is going to do all the parenting work for them and they don't have to lift a finger to raise their kids.

------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so the officer was fired and the little girl won't be facing charges. In addition to this, she's gotten tons of media attention and probably even has the idea that what she did was OK, since she probably wasn't punished for it.

Two questions: 1) What do you think the odds are she'll be kicking her teachers again very shortly and with more impunity and 2) With the understanding the school is helpless to stop her, what do you think she'll be like when she's 13 or 14 years old?

I still also question the sleep apnea part of this. Maybe it's a case of where the child simply isn't made to go to bed when she should because she throws a temper tantrum when the grandmother tries to get her to go to sleep. God knows, we have plenty of parents who let their kids stay up late night after night with school the next day. You only have to go into a late showing at a movie theater to see those parents bringing their 5 and 6 year olds out to movies starting at 9pm and later.
Hiding 1/2 your post that goes with what the other person said.

From what someone posted in the other thread that I reported as the same; the grandmother already made a go fund me that was at $15,000 when that person posted about it. I wonder what she even needs it for?

It could happen again if she didn't get suspended for kicking the teacher. She will kick again and be kicked out of this private school. I haven't read the thread in days since the cop was fired which was extreme. Suspended and retrained would be reasonable.

What if another person is right, she was kicked out of public school and it's why she's in private school is now my wonder after reading posts here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or