U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-24-2019, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Heartbeat City
7,834 posts, read 4,648,038 times
Reputation: 9319

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
I do not have a problem with him jumping in front of the train as he had unbearable depression.
Have some sympathy for the train crew who saw this happening in front of their own eyes knowing there was no way to avoid hitting the man and the little girl. They won't get over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-24-2019, 01:18 PM
 
12,927 posts, read 7,809,219 times
Reputation: 24509
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You make a good point. We are concerned about the child, of course. But the train operator has to be traumatized.
And all the people on the platform waiting for the train. What a horrifying thing to witness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2019, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
9,637 posts, read 8,581,256 times
Reputation: 21080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Also don't off yourself by using someone else to do it. I know some railroaders and the ones that will talk about it say you never get over hitting someone on the tracks no matter if it is an accident or a suicide by train. That railroad crew will be effed for life, too.

I feel so bad for that little girl, too. There is likely years of therapy in her future
My stepfather was an engineer for Amtrak then NJ Transit for 45 years. Every time he had someone commit suicide on his train, they gave him a week off. It was horrible for him and unfortunately happened often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2019, 02:40 PM
 
Location: southern kansas
8,645 posts, read 6,035,762 times
Reputation: 19449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
This is the result of pro-life groups in this country. Nembutal used to be over the counter and it causes a peaceful and painless death in a overdose. It was pulled from the market strictly because of this. People resort to very violent suicides because they do not have the options that they should. If Nembutal was brought back to the market, and you could buy it off the shelf at your local Walgreen's, you would no longer see people jumping in front of trains.
I think that is wishful thinking at best. It's more likely the father would just inject both of them, because he was determined to take his daughter with him. I see legalizing a lethal drug as burning down the barn to get rid of the rats. It might change the method of suicide, but certainly will do nothing to prevent it in the first place.

As for this incident, I have nothing but sheer loathing for this man, and any other person who is so self-absorbed that he thinks his children or significant other would not want to go on living after they die. So they have kill them as well. You might blame depression for the man's suicide, but attempting to murder his child is nothing but selfish narcissism. Just glad to know this child didn't have to pay the ultimate price for her fathers lack of empathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2019, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Way up high
14,230 posts, read 21,113,822 times
Reputation: 14718
This whole situation is very, very sad. I hope everyone gets the help they need
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2019, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
759 posts, read 542,996 times
Reputation: 2301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Have some sympathy for the train crew who saw this happening in front of their own eyes knowing there was no way to avoid hitting the man and the little girl. They won't get over this.

He suffered unbearable depression and felt their was no way out. I stand by my former post that these violent methods of suicides would end if there is another option. There was and is, but the pro-life groups prevent that option. No matter if he shoots himself, hangs himself, jumps off a building, etc, there is going to be someone traumatized from the aftermath. With Nembutal, it would be a peaceful death and the body would not be destroyed in such a way as hitting a train or being shot. I figured the train operator would realize there was nothing he could do and it wasn't his fault. After thinking about it, I could see it affecting him, so yes, I do feel bad for him and all involved.



Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I think that is wishful thinking at best. It's more likely the father would just inject both of them, because he was determined to take his daughter with him. I see legalizing a lethal drug as burning down the barn to get rid of the rats. It might change the method of suicide, but certainly will do nothing to prevent it in the first place.

As for this incident, I have nothing but sheer loathing for this man, and any other person who is so self-absorbed that he thinks his children or significant other would not want to go on living after they die. So they have kill them as well. You might blame depression for the man's suicide, but attempting to murder his child is nothing but selfish narcissism. Just glad to know this child didn't have to pay the ultimate price for her fathers lack of empathy.

I never said it would prevent suicides. I said it would prevent violent suicides. It is a fundamental human right. You should have the choice to peacefully end your own life if you wish. You do not have the right to take innocent people with you. I agree fully on what you wrote regarding this selfish and disgusting father, if you can even call him that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2019, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
9,637 posts, read 8,581,256 times
Reputation: 21080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
.[/u][/b] You do not have the right to take innocent people with you. I agree fully on what you wrote regarding this selfish and disgusting father, if you can even call him that.
You also don't have the right to inflict your suicide onto the person driving the train.

It is just as detrimental to that person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2019, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
759 posts, read 542,996 times
Reputation: 2301
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You also don't have the right to inflict your suicide onto the person driving the train.

It is just as detrimental to that person.

I can agree with that. Most people who are suicidal are not thinking rationally. I read about a woman who jumped off of a very tall building and missed a man within inches when she hit the ground. He would have been killed if she landed on him. He is no doubt traumatized for life. She did not have a right to do this to this man. It all goes back to people not having the option for a peaceful death. Admittedly, this situation is a failed murder suicide, so I do not know what the outcome would be if Nembutal was available over the counter. Hopefully, he would have just taken himself out and left his daughter out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:41 AM
Status: "Run from it or learn from it" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: NJ
458 posts, read 160,027 times
Reputation: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
I can agree with that. Most people who are suicidal are not thinking rationally. I read about a woman who jumped off of a very tall building and missed a man within inches when she hit the ground. He would have been killed if she landed on him. He is no doubt traumatized for life. She did not have a right to do this to this man. It all goes back to people not having the option for a peaceful death. Admittedly, this situation is a failed murder suicide, so I do not know what the outcome would be if Nembutal was available over the counter. Hopefully, he would have just taken himself out and left his daughter out of it.
Without going off topic completely i would like to counter your assessment of OTC suicide drugs and peoples right to use them. Consider this, it is not about "pro-life" groups, it is about preventing suicides of people who truly arent ready to commit suicide. Say for example a teenager who wants to die because their friend did something like...slept with their bf/gf. This person may attempt suicide unsuccessfully and realize they didnt want to die and go on to live an amazing life. If it had been as easy as taking a suicide pill instead of having to physically go through some heinous act then that person could have killed themselves even if it wasnt what they wanted. Additionally, think of how easy fake suicide (murders) would be if suicides drugs were so easy to purchase.

All that being said, I wholeheartedly agree that people have a right to a peaceful death at a time of their choosing as long as that is truly what they want and i agree with physician assisted suicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
25,662 posts, read 24,563,260 times
Reputation: 31780
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
The mother doesn’t speak English. Why don’t people learn English?
The kid will be traumatized for life.
What does that have to do with it? My husband's great grandmother lived in the US for decades and never spoke more than a few words of English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top