U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 11:22 AM

35,808 posts, read 19,713,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Which brand of beer?
Since it was a fatal stunt, my bet is that had to be some form of light beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 11:33 AM

8,286 posts, read 5,927,053 times
Wow...how sad. Extra sad for the girlfriend.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:38 PM

4,193 posts, read 3,382,284 times
Y'know, yes this is sad and actually horrifying. Period.

I live pretty close to a lake, Lake Washington in metro Seattle. Were I so inclined, could pop on into a public doc and do various water activities daily, it's accessible enough all things considered. I'm not into water activities, so I don't. Also, the water is a bit cold c. 10 months/years, don't ask for specific temps.

It's dirty, too, and I've swum in it a few times but feel a bit greasier than when I jumped in, after. Considering where it is, no big surprise. Want clean, go to Olympic National Park.

Many years, people die on Lake WA. Couple people died paddleboarding, just down the street. How the hell does that happen? Others drown doing who knows what, often involving alcohol and boats.

Then there's this poor guy, free diving and drowning on the way up or whatever happened (I don't know/care nor should anyone else: the poor guy's dead). What is it with people and water, not surfacing in time, etc. I mean grown adults. I was an adept swimmer as a youth, the kid who would take my snorkel mask and fins, and free dive to not more than 20' in local lakes (that were clean), just screwing around. Never had trouble, also saw cool stuff. As an adult, I'm out of shape and have no burning desire to do this anyway.

Why do adults drown in situations like this??

Old 09-24-2019, 12:58 PM

44,622 posts, read 43,132,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Did anyone else find her saying they had 'enjoyed the most amazing bucket list experiences the past few days' to be jarring?
I do. I guess its actual meaning has worn off.

I don't know how people can post online or go on TV for an interview so soon after a trauma like this. I think I would be too immobilized with grief. Maybe not, though. I mean she literally has his last moment on video, and the whole thing is just so … weird. And horrible.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:00 PM

1,245 posts, read 430,597 times
Quote:
The quest for likes and attention on social media is driving people to do risky stunts, at costs to their lives. What was wrong with proposing like everyone else does, on bent knee and giving the ring on her finger on land?
What would have truly been sad is if he had impregnated her (assuming he hadn't already). Natural selection did its job, reliably, again.

I will give social media websites some credit. They have been more effective at advancing the evolution of the human species by helping weed out the junk code from the gene pool than any other invention in recorded history. It's a shame humans have to rely on corporately-owned technology to do it, but there you go.

What's really tragic about THAT is modern humans have to augment with corporately-owned technology what other species have had no trouble doing on their own, organically, for millions of years.

Last edited by Ttark; 09-24-2019 at 01:23 PM..

Old 09-24-2019, 01:13 PM

1,907 posts, read 2,372,105 times
Marriage will kill you....some sooner than later.
Sad story. RIP

Old 09-24-2019, 02:15 PM

10,156 posts, read 7,002,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
What would have truly been sad is if he had impregnated her (assuming he hadn't already). Natural selection did its job, reliably, again.

I will give social media websites some credit. They have been more effective at advancing the evolution of the human species by helping weed out the junk code from the gene pool than any other invention in recorded history. It's a shame humans have to rely on corporately-owned technology to do it, but there you go.

What's really tragic about THAT is modern humans have to augment with corporately-owned technology what other species have had no trouble doing on their own, organically, for millions of years.
In what way is this of any relevance to what happened?

Old 09-24-2019, 02:52 PM

44,622 posts, read 43,132,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post

Good lord.

Just go ahead and advocate for killing off the weak, why don't you?

Old 09-24-2019, 03:35 PM

5,388 posts, read 2,470,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
He had on a mask. Nothing else.
And the flippers but at the start of the video it shows the ladder going down into the underwater room & it's not very long. There is so much light in the water it just can't have been that deep. I'm sure I've swum down that deep & without flippers. In fact, I know I've swum 45ft underwater holding my breath. It should have taken him less than 4-5 seconds to reach the surface.

He exhaled (bubbles) before he started his ascent. If he would have waited just 2 seconds longer he would have been fine.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:14 PM

5,574 posts, read 1,551,769 times
It takes several seconds to travel under water 30 feet in any direction, including up. Even with swim fins. If he stayed down to the point when his body ran out of oxygen and was going to heave in a huge, involuntary breath in one second....

Maybe that's what happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or