U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 01:57 PM

19,565 posts, read 9,460,678 times

Advertisements

Sad, but he should have had scuba training, and tanks at the minimum, and been with an experienced dive partner. I was the best man in an underwater wedding years ago with my friends. We did it in the Caribbean, but we were ALL PADI certified, experienced scuba divers as was the Minister. The water is nothing to fool around with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 01:57 PM

10,170 posts, read 7,007,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
He may have bought the ring on time, rather than outright. Could've gotten the trip reasonably priced on a deal, and they'd saved up for it. I have a friend who takes a trip every year. She plans for it, saves for it, and is experienced at getting a decent deal.

There's no telling how much or little they would have spent on a wedding. Nothing about what they did as vocations/professions.
She's an established attorney with her own firm.
https://www.kdantoine.com/?fbclid=Iw...K-LTmhLq_ZLeLE

He was a RA somewhere... with quite a background in physics and nuclear medicine.

This wasn't a poor couple. They could afford a nice vacation or two.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 17,185,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Seems like everyone now is trying to get their 15 minutes and with social media I suppose anyone can achieve it.

I can't really feel bad for someone who does something completely stupid and pays the ultimate price.
I donít think they did this so they can post it to social media. All indications he just wanted a special and romantic proposal and a romantic setting. Itís not unusual and it happened long before social media. You can fault him for trying too hard perhaps, but thereís no reason to assign a motive to him that you have no idea is true or not. And that he can no longer defend himself against.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
He may have bought the ring on time, rather than outright. Could've gotten the trip reasonably priced on a deal, and they'd saved up for it. I have a friend who takes a trip every year. She plans for it, saves for it, and is experienced at getting a decent deal.

There's no telling how much or little they would have spent on a wedding. Nothing about what they did as vocations/professions.
Also just because he had money does not mean the family did. It is a family trying to get the body back. It will be months and months before they have access to his funds.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:34 PM

2,801 posts, read 782,455 times
It's neither here nor there, really, but since the widowed financee is an attorney with her own firm, it does seem strange that Go Fund Me page is necessary so they can get $8000 to get the body back. I know not every attorney is incredibly wealthy, but I thought $8000 would be doable for most, even young ones. It's not her that started the Go Fund Me page, but since she would appear to have the means to get him home, it seems like there would be no better use of her money than to get her fiance home and buried. But hey, no one is forcing anyone to contribute, so it's not a problem, just a common thing people do (raise money) with a tragedy these days---and maybe it's not just financial, but a way for friends and family to show they care.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:26 PM

8,059 posts, read 4,577,091 times
"The quest for likes and attention on social media is driving people to do risky stunts, at costs to their lives."

That's certainly nothing new. Google "Last Selfies" on You Tube. But at least this is unique. Darwin Awards. Looks like they were the type to put themselves out there on SM as world traveler types even before this.

So how did he actually die without my having to read the entire thread? He couldn't have been more than a few feet below the surface!

Old 09-25-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"The quest for likes and attention on social media is driving people to do risky stunts, at costs to their lives."

That's certainly nothing new. Google "Last Selfies" on You Tube. But at least this is unique. Darwin Awards. Looks like they were the type to put themselves out there on SM as world traveler types even before this.

So how did he actually die without my having to read the entire thread? He couldn't have been more than a few feet below the surface!

Someone said it was 30 feet down.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:50 PM

10,170 posts, read 7,007,862 times
Quote:

How did you even come up to that conclusion? Nothing on their SM pages indicates anything remotely close to that. They actually appeared to live fairly private lives.

https://www.facebook.com/smwhifi/tim...8%3A1569448029
https://www.facebook.com/KeneshaAnto...2%3A1569448064

Old 09-25-2019, 05:24 PM
DKM

3,125 posts, read 1,115,472 times
Quote:

Certified PADI rescue diver here. This looks like a classic case of shallow water blackout. Take one big breath and go under but never push it...

Old 09-26-2019, 12:45 PM

17,021 posts, read 20,963,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
She's an established attorney with her own firm.
https://www.kdantoine.com/?fbclid=Iw...K-LTmhLq_ZLeLE

He was a RA somewhere... with quite a background in physics and nuclear medicine.

This wasn't a poor couple. They could afford a nice vacation or two.
Well the family has set up a Go Fund me page to get him home and bury him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or