U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM

17,695 posts, read 10,637,914 times

Advertisements

The quest for likes and attention on social media is driving people to do risky stunts, at costs to their lives.

What was wrong with proposing like everyone else does, on bent knee and giving the ring on her finger on land?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...posal-tanzania

Quote:
A man died while diving underwater to propose to his girlfriend at a resort off the coast of Tanzania.

The couple had traveled from Louisiana and on Thursday were staying at the luxury Manta Resort, which is famous for its floating accommodations that include underwater rooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM

5,376 posts, read 2,463,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The quest for likes and attention on social media is driving people to do risky stunts, at costs to their lives.

What was wrong with proposing like everyone else does, on bent knee and giving the ring on her finger on land?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...posal-tanzania
Yes, I saw that too earlier! What isn't explained ... is HOW he died. He was right there ... right outside of the hotel & the underwater room she was in ... what happened? I guess by looking at the pictures; he wasn't wearing any gear? He was trying to hold his breath? OMG.

Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM

1,753 posts, read 506,796 times
How terrible. He must’ve died shortly after that. He appeared to be surfacing so what happened?

I watched it twice. It looks like at the end his left hand holding the ring box started trembling and his facial expression changed.

Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM

44,602 posts, read 43,097,932 times
Yes, they showed the vacation house on ABC News tonight. It is freestanding all by itself in the middle of some water, and it has an "underwater bedroom" with windows on all sides. That's where she was, and the report said he went out by himself and was 30 feet down pulling this stunt. In the photo it doesn't look like the windows are 30 feet down; maybe the moorings are that deep?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B18Yl2jI...mpaign=loading

Anyway, he was basically free-diving alone, with no gear and no help, and he couldn't make it back up.

It's crazy, weird and SO sad.

Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM

79,672 posts, read 72,252,153 times
Why would he do that without oxygen tanks? It doesn't make sense.

Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM

135 posts, read 20,179 times
In the news story I read, he did have gear on. Either way it was senseless

Old Yesterday, 11:46 PM

44,602 posts, read 43,097,932 times
He had on a mask. Nothing else.

Old Today, 12:55 AM

582 posts, read 1,158,044 times
Unhappy The dangers of hyperventilation when freediving

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
He had on a mask. Nothing else.
He was also wearing fins, in addition to a mask.

It appeared to me that he likely hyperventilated before diving into the water, which enabled him to hold his breath longer. However, as this article asserts, hyperventilating is dangerous for freediving. Hyperventilation could have caused him to continue his dive without any strong desire to return to the surface, or the lack of oxygen could have caused him to feint or blackout.

The dangers of hyperventilation when freediving

Old Today, 04:18 AM

2,797 posts, read 779,777 times
I'm glad to see that other people are questioning why he did this stunt. I thought I was the only one not awed by how "romantic" this gesture was. But then, I always think a regular proposal face to face is more than enough. It doesn't have to be an exotic setting. It doesn't have to be in front of thousands of people, like at a concert or athletic event. Are we so jaded and so obsessed with acquiring content to post on social media that a possibly one-in-a-lifetime life-changing event has to be tarted up like this?

He was just wearing a mask, nothing else. Thus his sign that said "I can't hold my breath long enough to tell you all I love about you." Yeah, I get it. Had he been wearing equipment it would have contradicted his sign about holding his breath, but so what? Accept your human needs and limitations that you need oxygen to continue to live!

And it's amazing to me that he would hold the ring underwater. What if he somehow dropped it---would he ever be able to retrieve it? Most diamond rings cost thousands of dollars. Usually people want to keep it safe. (Then again, I'm amazed at the gym to see people with their cell phones in the sauna and, especially, pool and hot tub.)

I'm also surprised that immediately there was a GoFundMe to raise $8000 to get the body back to the US. This young couple had the money for an exotic vacation. He had the money for a diamond ring. I think it's safe to assume that a loft of money would have been spent on the wedding. So there wasn't $8,000 to fly the body back/take care of the funeral?

That said, this is such a tragedy. They looked to be a very nice couple who had their whole lives ahead of them.

Old Today, 04:30 AM

4,967 posts, read 1,922,558 times
I bet she would have said No. They were staying in separate rooms, apparently.

The fact that such tourist accommodations exist, is scarier than the stupid diver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or