U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM

6,004 posts, read 6,963,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
You're also using some "what if's" by knowing the plane would continue to divert or fly to its destination as planned for the 100s of other innocent victims of his tirade.
I just don't see anyway the flight would continue. You can't call the guy a potential terrorist in one breath and then in the next say that it's fine to continue flying with him as planned.

The airline also opens themselves up to potential law suits if they don't follow the procedure to divert and allow police to board and handle the situation. American Airlines isn't going to trust random passengers to appropriately detain someone for any longer than is absolutely necessary. Once passengers are physically attacking and restraining each other, they're going to land ASAP.

Quote:
Was he truly someone mentally challenged with previous episodes and fears of flying or just a drunk chain smoker being a jerk?
I'm going to trust the police's judgement here that it was mental health related, and that's why they took him to the hospital.

Quote:
Yes, that is good outcome but it could have been worse.
It absolutely could have gone far worse. A man in the middle of a mental health episode is not thinking rationally and provoking him in a confined space when not completely necessary is not a good idea for anyone on that plane.

The reports say the passengers were ready to act if needed. And again, I'm going to trust the judgement of the people who were there -- they deemed physical action not needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM

814 posts, read 635,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post

The airline also opens themselves up to potential law suits if they don't follow the procedure to divert and allow police to board and handle the situation. American Airlines isn't going to trust random passengers to appropriately detain someone for any longer than is absolutely necessary. Once passengers are physically attacking and restraining each other, they're going to land ASAP.
a what if scenario then, right?

The airline also opens itself up to potential lawsuits by allowing someone to smoke on a flight among people who have serious allergies to second-hand smoke.

Again you only side with the offender. criminal defense atty perhaps?

Just because "some passengers" are not physically affected by cigarette smoke doesn't mean Joe Citizen cannot make him/her put out the cigarette on a smoke-free flight. This is not a night club with live music and drinks. There are no exemptions to smoking on a commercial flight, mentally disturbed or not.

restraining each other? - now you're hypothesizing. It is one person that would have needed it. You're insinuating other passengers would restrain the restrainers? Pleez.

I wouldn't blame anyone who forcibly put out a passenger's cigarette on a flight. They probably decided not to restrain him when he put out the cig and stopped "yelling you're all going to die."
100's of lives are at stake. One person being restrained will put the other 100 people at ease than having to be nervous for another half-hour plus.

Sadly, with all the mass shootings and the recent terrorist mechanic at Miami Int'l Airport it's good to be alert and be safe than sorry. Some people continue think,"nothing to see here", because the airport police will take care of it once we land in 30-60 minutes.

Based on the news I heard, we won't agree. But we can agree I won't be on a flight with a smoking passenger.

Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM

21,695 posts, read 17,185,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Meanwhile passive (afraid to speak) passengers will allow him to blow cigarette smoke throughout the cabin probably in kids and elderly's faces and becoming more aggressive. Remember, odds are extremely high that he does not have a gun or knife.

What if he started playing around with the emergency exit window or really kicking the front seat? Just stay put until the plane is diverted? C'mon.

A team of passengers (we're stronger together right?) would gladly intervene by obviously trying to talk him down first to be civil and if he doesn't comply to forcibly remove the cigarettes and lighter. Lives are at stake here. It's not a time to look the other way like on a bus or in a mall.

Why flight attendants don't have a pair of handcuffs or plastic hand-ties locked somewhere is beyond me from all the stories we've heard over the years of unruly passengers and even fights. Glad, I don't fly a lot domestic flights.
I think you’re conflating many things. Of course no one’s going to stand by and let him smoke. But before a passenger intervene, it should be up to the flight crew to attempt it first. As I said passengers should allow the flight crew to handle it unless they clearly need help or ask for help. The first thing that happens if someone lights a cigarette on board a flight though is not for another passenger to jump up and wrestle him to the ground or hold his arms behind his back. That’s an overreaction as a first step. Let the flight crew handle it first. It becomes obvious they need help or they call for help then certainly. But that’s not what people are talking about. People are talking about just taking over for the flight crew without their permission from the get-go. That’s where I think we go awry. Now I f someone is messing around with the emergency door, that’s an entirely different thing.

Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM

4,119 posts, read 1,781,314 times
Cracks me up that someone suggested that elderly people might have to breathe his second hand smoke. The oldsters probably remember when smoking was allowed on US flights, and half the passengers would light up.

So the guy smoked, yelled, and kicked a seat, and some of y'all think he should get a whooping? (By somebody else, of course, not by the person expressing the opinion.)

Um, next time a kid kicks the back of my seat, can I smack him?
How about the jerk who talks too loud so people will think he's important?

By all means, let's roll!

Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM

10,170 posts, read 7,007,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Cracks me up that someone suggested that elderly people might have to breathe his second hand smoke. The oldsters probably remember when smoking was allowed on US flights, and half the passengers would light up.

So the guy smoked, yelled, and kicked a seat, and some of y'all think he should get a whooping? (By somebody else, of course, not by the person expressing the opinion.)

Um, next time a kid kicks the back of my seat, can I smack him?
How about the jerk who talks too loud so people will think he's important?

By all means, let's roll!
So because it USED to be allowed when they were kids, they should put up with it now?

Saying "you're all screwed" sounds like a verbal threat. Threatening people 10,000+ft up in the air is a pretty serious matter.

A kid kicking the back of your seat is nowhere near the equivalent of this, neither is someone speaking too loud. In both cases, by the way, a complaint would get the matter resolved.

Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM

5,198 posts, read 3,537,966 times
Making all airline flights and airports no alcohol zones would probably make a lot of air travel safer and saner. Iím always amazed even early in the morning at how full airport bars are with travelers knocking back the hard stuff.

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

10,170 posts, read 7,007,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Making all airline flights and airports no alcohol zones would probably make a lot of air travel safer and saner. Iím always amazed even early in the morning at how full airport bars are with travelers knocking back the hard stuff.
I recently took Amtrak round-trip from Orlando-NYC... You think airline flights are bad?

Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,108,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Sure, but these aren't the neighborhood pubs. The people collecting are from everywhere and who knows what time zone they're from.
That said, I frequently travel in the AM and the bars are consistently less active then later in the day.

Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM

5,901 posts, read 4,324,667 times
I thought there was supposed to be a marshal on every flight after 9-11?

Maybe that was only for a short while, but I think it would be a good idea to have someone qualified to take charge with unruly passengers such as this moron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or