U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 12:00 PM

9,966 posts, read 5,977,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
I thought legalizing pot in Colorado was supposed to create a laid back utopia where everyone was filled with peace and love?

SS
That’s funny. I was actually thinking they should have had a helicopter drop a cloud of marijuana smoke on the crowd to chill them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 12:31 PM

5,471 posts, read 2,493,917 times
The driver did the right thing. He cannot, by law; operate that vehicle with children out of their seats.

He could not, probably by school district policy; allow children to get off the bus anywhere but at their designated stop.

He could not, probably by school district policy; allow unauthorized, non-student persons to board the bus. Parents who chaperone on buses for field trips, in the state of Colorado; must first be background checked & authorized. Would anyone want it any differently?

My disabled 15-year-old is 6'3", 230 lbs & physically aggressive. He rides a bus to school filled with other kids just like him & there are always more staff than just the driver on board. There are times when he boards the bus that it literally starts rocking from his movements (being combative or simply flapping/stomping) & this is the large, full-size bus. I still; NEVER step foot on the bus to help, without first obtaining permission from the driver.

If I did & were to be injured while on that bus, even by my own kid? That's a huge liability issue for the district.

Now think about it. There were kids actively brawling on the bus. A parent could have been injured while on the bus. That mom was an idiot; if she was trying to get her kid off of a bus where it was my son doing the brawling, she would have been knocked down in seconds flat & probably be trying to sue the district (& me) now.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:37 PM

5,233 posts, read 3,366,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
A school bus driver pulls over in an attempt to calm students down before proceeding. They wait for an extended period of time and many of the kids call their parents. Parents arrive and demand that their kids be let off of the bus. A fight ensues when a mom jumps aboard in an attempt to grab her kid. You can view the full video in the link below. https://denverite.com/2019/09/23/a-f...arents-arrest/
I'm reminded of the time I got a dose of insanity and applied and got hired to drive a school bus. One driver told me "If one kid is causing problems, pull off to the side, and tell everyone that "Until this kid settles down, we're not moving and you'll miss your cartoons"...Believe me it works" well, never had a chance to use it, now a days the kids have phones and would be calling mom to burn the school down probably.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:06 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,313,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
The driver did the right thing. He cannot, by law; operate that vehicle with children out of their seats.

He could not, probably by school district policy; allow children to get off the bus anywhere but at their designated stop.

He could not, probably by school district policy; allow unauthorized, non-student persons to board the bus. Parents who chaperone on buses for field trips, in the state of Colorado; must first be background checked & authorized.
Would anyone want it any differently?

My disabled 15-year-old is 6'3", 230 lbs & physically aggressive. He rides a bus to school filled with other kids just like him & there are always more staff than just the driver on board. There are times when he boards the bus that it literally starts rocking from his movements (being combative or simply flapping/stomping) & this is the large, full-size bus. I still; NEVER step foot on the bus to help, without first obtaining permission from the driver.

If I did & were to be injured while on that bus, even by my own kid? That's a huge liability issue for the district.

Now think about it. There were kids actively brawling on the bus. A parent could have been injured while on the bus. That mom was an idiot; if she was trying to get her kid off of a bus where it was my son doing the brawling, she would have been knocked down in seconds flat & probably be trying to sue the district (& me) now.
1. The Denver Public Schools does not have any policy regarding parents boarding school busses. 2. The bus driver and the aid have been put on paid administrative leave. Your statement that the driver did the right thing, is your opinion only and apparently not shared by the superintendent of the school district, or by the director of security. Both of whom have condemned the actions of the bus driver and the aid and stated that they did not handle the matter to the expectations of the school district.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:38 PM

32,855 posts, read 37,350,794 times
Bus driver should now sue the School District for injuries and wrongful termination.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:45 PM

5,471 posts, read 2,493,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
1. The Denver Public Schools does not have any policy regarding parents boarding school busses. 2. The bus driver and the aid have been put on paid administrative leave. Your statement that the driver did the right thing, is your opinion only and apparently not shared by the superintendent of the school district, or by the director of security. Both of whom have condemned the actions of the bus driver and the aid and stated that they did not handle the matter to the expectations of the school district.
I don't live in Denver but I do live in Colorado & our districts are regulated by the CDOE. This is from my school district:

Quote:
Only those students who are authorized transportation services will be permitted to board and ride the bus. Principals, other administrators and teachers designated by the principal to assist with student management will be allowed to ride the bus. Parents are not authorized to board the bus or ride as a passenger unless they are approved chaperons for field trips or have prior approval from the school principal and the Director of Transportation.
https://www.d11.org/Page/1031

I can't imagine Denver would not have similar policies.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:35 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,313,396 times
Quote:
I don't live in Denver but I do live in Colorado & our districts are regulated by the CDOE. This is from my school district:

The parents were not attempting to ride the bus. They were boarding it to get their children off the bus, which the superintendent has said is not a violation of any policies.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:40 AM

9,966 posts, read 5,977,288 times
Quote:

They do have similar policies. They canít allow unauthorized adults on the bus or let kids off unless at their regular stop. The mom should not have gotten on that bus. The school district is trying to be very PC and not escalate this situation.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:13 AM

32,855 posts, read 37,350,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The parents were not attempting to ride the bus. They were boarding it to get their children off the bus, which the superintendent has said is not a violation of any policies.
What if it was a parent who did not have custody of the child and was taking the child ?

Lot of rules for a lot of good reasons.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:48 AM

5,999 posts, read 2,462,388 times
All I see is yet another reason this society is well down the road to idiocy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or