U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 02:36 PM

5,668 posts, read 2,318,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The superintendent didn’t condemn the driver. She didn’t support him either, which is what led to this afternoon’s “sick-out”.
Yes she did. She said the bus driver's actions only escalated the situation and she apologised for that.

Quote:
"Given that this incident had escalated to the point that it did, with children crying to be allowed off the bus to leave with their parents, the action that was taken only further escalated the situation. And I’m very sorry that it happened,"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 02:57 PM

9,986 posts, read 5,983,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yes she did. She said the bus driver's actions only escalated the situation and she apologised for that.
I guess we just disagree that her comment is akin to “condemning the bus driver’s behavior”. I do however agree that she threw him under the bus for following the policy. She was in the wrong.

Old Yesterday, 03:31 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,438,029 times
Quote:
So arrest the bus driver for starting it. Again the DA who has seen the videos from inside the bus, has decided that no charges should be filed. The superintendent and the director of security for the school district who have seen the videos from inside the bus, have condemned the bus driver's actions. But you people who have not seen the evidence that the DA, superintendent, and the director of security have, believe she is guilty. That means you have made up you mind before even seeing the evidence. That would disqualify you from even being on the jury.
No offense - but with the political climate these days - I don't doubt that the DA and superintendent blame the bus driver. No one wants problems so they throw their workers under the bus to appease the community.

s stated - we weren't there nor do we know if in fact the driver did call for assistance and was waiting for help. I can say right now that my neighbor's daughter was 45 minutes late the other day due to the bus breaking down and they had to wait for another bus to transport them. You had to call the bus terminal to get any information as these were grade school kids with no phones.

And a child can not et off the bus or be released until they get to their official drop off point - that's the rules folks - at least where I live.

Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

5,668 posts, read 2,318,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
No offense - but with the political climate these days - I don't doubt that the DA and superintendent blame the bus driver. No one wants problems so they throw their workers under the bus to appease the community.

s stated - we weren't there nor do we know if in fact the driver did call for assistance and was waiting for help. I can say right now that my neighbor's daughter was 45 minutes late the other day due to the bus breaking down and they had to wait for another bus to transport them. You had to call the bus terminal to get any information as these were grade school kids with no phones.

And a child can not et off the bus or be released until they get to their official drop off point - that's the rules folks - at least where I live.
I think the school district expects the bus drivers to use common sense, and not stand between parents trying to pick up their kids. The DA and the school district acknowledged that it is understandable that a parent would get upset if that happens.

Also I don't know about today, but when I went to school, the bus drivers at their discretion could drop kids off at any safe location. When I was in high school, my family moved into the attendance area of another high school, but I continued attending the same school. So I started taking a school bus to the last stop on the route and then walking home from there. Then I realized that the bus driver was making a stop past the last "official" bus stop, so I started getting off at that stop. Finally I asked the bus driver if he could let me off on my street, which he happily agreed to. For the next two years, I continued to get a bus ride home even though I was out of the attendance area, and I never had a problem from substitute bus drivers when I asked them either. But in those days the bus drivers seemed to use more common sense, and we didn't have ******* bus drivers like this guy. Common sense seems to be declining more all the time.

Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM

Another bus driver shortage today in Denver. Bus drivers are calling in sick in mass.

Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM

36,340 posts, read 32,908,587 times
Quote:
I think the school district expects the bus drivers to use common sense, and not stand between parents trying to pick up their kids. The DA and the school district acknowledged that it is understandable that a parent would get upset if that happens.

Also I don't know about today, but when I went to school, the bus drivers at their discretion could drop kids off at any safe location. When I was in high school, my family moved into the attendance area of another high school, but I continued attending the same school. So I started taking a school bus to the last stop on the route and then walking home from there. Then I realized that the bus driver was making a stop past the last "official" bus stop, so I started getting off at that stop. Finally I asked the bus driver if he could let me off on my street, which he happily agreed to. For the next two years, I continued to get a bus ride home even though I was out of the attendance area, and I never had a problem from substitute bus drivers when I asked them either. But in those days the bus drivers seemed to use more common sense, and we didn't have ******* bus drivers like this guy. Common sense seems to be declining more all the time.
How exactly, is the bus driver supposed to know who each kids parents are? Especially today with so many single parents and fragmented families. Policy is policy for a reason, so the school isn't liable for some freak snatching a future sex slave off the bus.

Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM

7,404 posts, read 13,403,027 times
Quote:

At any "safe" location? Uhm no. They can't do that. They're to drop off the kids at their designated drop off. When I was a kid riding the school bus and was going somewhere else (like going to my friend's house, at a different stop), I had to bring a written note from my parents to hand off to the bus driver. I don't even know if they allow that anymore. But even in a situation where the bus broke down or whatever, we still had to be dropped off at designated drop off.
This situation was troubled from the start and the parents should've backed off.

As for your HS situation, that sounds quite unusual and I'm surprised your school district allowed that. My experience has been that the students attending their area schools get a bus ride. If they're attending a school not in their designated area, the students/families were to provide their own transportation means. This applies even within the same school district. My sister went to another HS instead of the one by us because of the IB program that was offered by the other HS, she took the metro bus until she could get her driver's license. She graduated early mid 90s.

Old Today, 08:15 AM

10,195 posts, read 7,041,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
At any "safe" location? Uhm no. They can't do that. They're to drop off the kids at their designated drop off. When I was a kid riding the school bus and was going somewhere else (like going to my friend's house, at a different stop), I had to bring a written note from my parents to hand off to the bus driver.
What do you mean “they can’t do that?” We’re you there? Different places have different rules. I also was able to get off at any stop. Heck, a lot of the kids rode the city bus. There was no one forcing us to board the bus, let alone ride it to our designated stop. We could get off anywhere.

Old Today, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
What do you mean “they can’t do that?” We’re you there? Different places have different rules. I also was able to get off at any stop. Heck, a lot of the kids rode the city bus. There was no one forcing us to board the bus, let alone ride it to our designated stop. We could get off anywhere.

I posted the policy for Denver public Schools and it’s true that driver’s can’t drop kids off anywhere other then heir designated stop.

Old Today, 01:53 PM

10,195 posts, read 7,041,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I posted the policy for Denver public Schools and it’s true that driver’s can’t drop kids off anywhere other then heir designated stop.
Okay, in DENVER. Cloudy Dayz was speaking on his/her experience, and the response was questioning that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or