U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 06:13 PM

16,375 posts, read 14,000,587 times

Advertisements

I have been told someone that is unarmed is not dangerous to life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 06:23 PM

8,133 posts, read 2,416,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Kids have always watched fights without intervening. Theyíd know what time it was ďSteveís going to beat up Joey after school!!Ē And thereíd be 50 kids out there to watch. Decades ago when I was in school. They film it now but they cheered it on going way back. Even in A Christmas Story, wholesome family movie, other kids didnít intervene in the scenes where they got bullied and beat up.
When specific kids had a problem they would show up to fight as you described.

But this kid was jumped as all the kids were entering the school building. There were kids EVERYWHERE. It was right in front of an entryway. On school grounds.

Sorry, but when I went to school if somebody jumped someone, their friends would jump in to protect them. Not stand next to them and film it. Makes me wonder if this "friend" knew something.

It's just sick.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:02 PM

21,781 posts, read 17,230,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
When specific kids had a problem they would show up to fight as you described.

But this kid was jumped as all the kids were entering the school building. There were kids EVERYWHERE. It was right in front of an entryway. On school grounds.

Sorry, but when I went to school if somebody jumped someone, their friends would jump in to protect them. Not stand next to them and film it. Makes me wonder if this "friend" knew something.

It's just sick.
That would not have happened in my school, kids would not have intervened. When I was in 7th or 8th grade, 40-some years ago, some boys grabbed a 7th grade girl while the hall was packed between classes, dragged her into the bathroom and raped her. Not only did no one intervene, some kids were holding the door open watching. No one intervened till teachers pushed their way through.

I donít think it was the rule back in the day for kids to intervene. Bullies jumped kids then too. Itís in many movies and many comedies, Back to the Future, 3:00 High, A Christmas Story, Stand by Me, etc. it was just accepted part of school. Itís take more seriously today then it was then.

I just object to the idea that thereís something uniquely wrong with the current generation of kids. They are not different/worse than any other generation was IMO.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:01 PM

1,218 posts, read 649,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I donít think it was the rule back in the day for kids to intervene. Bullies jumped kids then too. Itís in many movies and many comedies, Back to the Future, 3:00 High, A Christmas Story, Stand by Me, etc. it was just accepted part of school. Itís take more seriously today then it was then.

I just object to the idea that thereís something uniquely wrong with the current generation of kids. They are not different/worse than any other generation was IMO.
My Bodyguard, directed by Tony Bill, is another one. A kid is bullied so badly at school that he gets himself an older kid to act as his bodyguard. Adam Baldwin, Chris Makepeace, Matt Dillon. Very well done.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:00 PM

55 posts, read 5,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What does the video have to do with the topic? ~Roselvr
Hi Roselvr,

I got your note asking me about a video I posted in my response to this news story.

Did you even read my comment? I asked why Yahoo categorized a story about a 13 year old boy who died of injuries received from bullying in the entertainment section.

If you visited the video you would not have asked me a question that doesn't need an answer. But I'll answer, anyway.

Comment: Why did Yahoo post a news report - featuring TV news anchors - about a manslaughter in the entertainment category?

Supporting reference: "TV is after all the modern-day roman colosseum, human devastation as mass entertainment and the millions sit cheering, collectively cheering, the bloodthirsty hierarchy of the patriarchal arrangement."

In questioning me about my post, are you just looking to cause a problem? Are you on the prowl looking for someone to devour?

You are bullying me.

Yes, you are a troublemaker who picked a fight with me and you are bullying me.

But, you'll be protected and defended while your victim will draw the attention of a goon-minded authority (police officer on the streets, moderator in an online forum) where your bad behavior will be punished upon your victim instead of yourself. Double whammy: first you take an unwarranted shot at your victim but the victim some American nonsensically-how does the wrong thing in defending herself. The victim should just walk away, or ignore you, and if she's a Christian she should not rebuke or reproof you but rather, forgive.

Look at the light! It just got so bright!

What was nasty and provoking has turned into a perfect specimen to examine the mechanics of bullying.

Thank you, Roselvr, for your service to humanity.

In summary,

So, yeah, I saw that Yahoo bizarrely put this news of a horrible manslaughter in the entertainment section. I cited a song that noticed the same bizarre human behavior such a long time ago.

My post, which cites a song reference, should not have been something to remark to me about in a provoking way.

I hope I've sufficiently answered your Fight Club question.
Thanks for the negative reputation you gave me?

Old 09-30-2019, 10:11 PM

1,318 posts, read 1,454,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sad, but the only language bullies understand is violence directed back at them, not 'love' and attention.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...150327893.html
So very true. I'm not a big guy but I have never been seriously picked on because the coward bullies knew I was someone who would fight back. One time I swung on a bully in the middle of class just for talking too much crap to me. The point is that the classic stereotype is true. If you fight back against a bully once; they will usually never mess with you again. I used to feel really bad for the timid kids in my school because they were relentlessly picked on. Its been over two decades and I still remember what happened to this one kid in my class.

Two scumbags stood behind the classroom door and waited for him to walk in. When he did, they grabbed him and dumped him head first into a large trashcan. Poor kid was desperately swinging his legs to get enough force to tip the trashcan over. He finally did and crawled out of it. This didn't even happen to me and I will remember it for the rest of my life. I can only imagine the mental damage this did to this kid and others who go through this every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I bet the school has a zero tolerance policy. These kids have been TRAINED to watch others get the crap kicked out of them.
Its a very stupid "rule." Usually the bullies have less to lose then the kid who might defend themselves. So this BS rule of punishing the kid who defends himself only makes bullying worse. I bet many kids who would otherwise fight back don't because they don't want to be suspended from school. I know that if we had that stupid rule in my school I would have been less inclined to fight back against the bullies.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:42 PM

3,343 posts, read 2,342,270 times
There has always going to be bullies just part of life. It's an unfortunate situation but schools which allow it to progress to this point end in these types of events. Reading the LA times other parents stated the school was un-responsive to reports of bulling. Schools need to setup programs to deal with this so students have a place to go and report it before it gets to this point.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...diego-bullying

The charges will be upgraded to 2nd degree murder for sure.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:50 AM

11,133 posts, read 21,724,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalHell View Post
Hi Roselvr,

I got your note asking me about a video I posted in my response to this news story.

Did you even read my comment? I asked why Yahoo categorized a story about a 13 year old boy who died of injuries received from bullying in the entertainment section.

If you visited the video you would not have asked me a question that doesn't need an answer. But I'll answer, anyway.

Comment: Why did Yahoo post a news report - featuring TV news anchors - about a manslaughter in the entertainment category?

Supporting reference: "TV is after all the modern-day roman colosseum, human devastation as mass entertainment and the millions sit cheering, collectively cheering, the bloodthirsty hierarchy of the patriarchal arrangement."

In questioning me about my post, are you just looking to cause a problem? Are you on the prowl looking for someone to devour?

You are bullying me.

Yes, you are a troublemaker who picked a fight with me and you are bullying me.

But, you'll be protected and defended while your victim will draw the attention of a goon-minded authority (police officer on the streets, moderator in an online forum) where your bad behavior will be punished upon your victim instead of yourself. Double whammy: first you take an unwarranted shot at your victim but the victim some American nonsensically-how does the wrong thing in defending herself. The victim should just walk away, or ignore you, and if she's a Christian she should not rebuke or reproof you but rather, forgive.

Look at the light! It just got so bright!

What was nasty and provoking has turned into a perfect specimen to examine the mechanics of bullying.

Thank you, Roselvr, for your service to humanity.

In summary,

So, yeah, I saw that Yahoo bizarrely put this news of a horrible manslaughter in the entertainment section. I cited a song that noticed the same bizarre human behavior such a long time ago.

My post, which cites a song reference, should not have been something to remark to me about in a provoking way.

I hope I've sufficiently answered your Fight Club question.
Thanks for the negative reputation you gave me?
I asked you a question. I don't have sound. I'm not familiar with what you linked to.

I hand out tons of reps a day until I can't rep any more. I don't know why you felt that was negative rep, asking a question. If anyone is a bully provoking it would be you for not private messaging my private comment to you.

Have a good day. Forget I asked about your video.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:28 AM

968 posts, read 1,472,530 times
Sad story, it shows just how much things have changed.

45+ years ago, I was bullied by someone at school and church. Was told by the adults at the time to "just forgive him and be his friend anyway, after all you go to the same church and school."

Old 10-01-2019, 05:35 AM

55 posts, read 5,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I asked you a question. I don't have sound. I'm not familiar with what you linked to.

I hand out tons of reps a day until I can't rep any more. I don't know why you felt that was negative rep, asking a question. If anyone is a bully provoking it would be you for not private messaging my private comment to you.

Have a good day. Forget I asked about your video.
I was going to PM you until I recognized the value in the opportunity that was created.

I didn't feel it was a negative rep. It was. That's how I got your question (it was displayed as a rep). You clearly do not like that I posted the video reference. You certainly were not giving me (or creating) positive or good rep.

I took it as an unwarranted shot which fits perfectly with the topic of this news item (not the death part, or the mistaken entertainment category, but the bullying part). Would you agree or disagree that its helpful to examine the mechanics of bullying and how people respond to it? It was too good of an opportunity to pass up.

Now you're on the spot and it's uncomfortable. You would prefer if I don't make case of it in public (shame) but rather keep it behind private doors (PM). I don't feel uncomfortable or shameful and I don't think you should, either. It's better to approach it scientifically (objective and impartial).

If we were kids, or teenagers, how would a PROPER adult guide us? This is a huge part of the problem because youth have few good adults to rely on. Adults are a very serious part of the problem (most of us with our own histories and backgrounds of being bullied and bullying others).

Bullying is none other than domestic violence.

But I'm not looking for violence with you over this little point of contention. I'm looking to examine the mechanics of bullying.

Did you recognize that in your response to me you excused your behavior and then faulted me three times for something you did and / or something you did not like?

~ I was given negative or bad rep because I posted a video.
~ I was being irrational somehow in responding to your question because "it was a question, it was a question".
~ I am bullying you because I'm confronting you in public when you prefer privacy.

Yes, abusers like to abuse in private so that they have image control in public.

Well, maybe now you are becoming the victim. You're really up against a wall here.

I am always the fall guy, rose. I always have been and I always will be.

You must have smelled me through the screen.

Truly, you caused a problem and then excused yourself, blamed and accused me, and didn't even apologize.

Now I'll just wait for the community cops to come electromagnetically restrain me from further hurting you with intelligence and science. #banned

May the good Lord see to it that America has learnt from today's examination of Bullying.

🙋

This shall conclude our session. I bid you adieu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events