Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 07:13 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Kids can be jerks regardless of race, family income etc.

If the poor kid doesn't hit his head just right in a fluke outcome, we never hear about this story and it's just simple assault.

With regards to the event though, the kid that filmed it on their phone if it was pre-meditated and planned, should also be charged as an accessory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 08:13 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
GREAT QUESTION! I think that Yahoo has some explaining to do!

Also, for those who are curious, the following lists the demographics of the school. Serious question: I wonder if that has anything to do with the bullying?

https://www.greatschools.org/califor...hool/#Students
Thanks for the link. I also thanked the site for the info, they're a non profit who struggles to keep it online.

You also have to read the reviews there is a huge bullying issue that is over looked according to the reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

If the poor kid doesn't hit his head just right in a fluke outcome, we never hear about this story and it's just simple assault.

With regards to the event though, the kid that filmed it on their phone if it was pre-meditated and planned, should also be charged as an accessory.
From DontH8Me's reply which I have below; the kid that recorded it was friends with the kid that got hit. They did it to get evidence that the bully started it against their friend. Thankfully they did record it so there's no question it was a sucker punch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
This story is local for me, and I actually teach middle school students right now.

The first time I saw the clip I was not only shocked and dismayed, I was also infuriated. The newsreaders had the nerve to characterize it as a fight. No, this was clearly an assault, an attack on an innocent child just standing there. He never raised a hand to strike back. Now he's dead, and his family must deal with the emotional vacuum the unexpected and permanent loss of their loved one has caused. The two attackers have been in juvvie ever since, and now they must learn to comprehend that their actions caused someone to die. They ended the life of a 13 year old child, and over what? Their parents must come to terms with the fact that their children have committed the most violent, most unforgivable act against another child. The person filming the attack must now mentally synthesize their choices, memorializing a homicide instead of helping a classmate avoid a lethal assault.

So many lives permanently altered for this one act.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:19 AM

1,289 posts, read 937,330 times
Quote:

Also, for those who are curious, the following lists the demographics of the school. Serious question: I wonder if that has anything to do with the bullying?

Those numbers are not out of line with hundreds of southern california schools. I worked in schools 95% to 99% hispanic, vast majority "low income". There was bullying for sure but no assaults like the one in the video, not that I ever heard about. Seems like something's up with Landmark Middle and it's not about the demographics.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:24 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,169 times
9% whites, 82% low income.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:37 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

wow
way to minimize this
they sucker punched him...cowardly animals

Old 09-30-2019, 10:12 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,708,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Landmark Middle School has had a bullying and fighting problem for quite a while according to some news reports (KTLA, L.A. Times, and others). Bullying and violence have almost become the culture at Landmark Middle. The school district has put security officers in place but the situation continues. Parents have had enough and are beginning to consider taking civil action.
Very true. I live in the area and know families that have complained about the bullying to the school's admin, even years ago. And they consistently brushed it off.

This is so very tragic... I can't even imagine.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:18 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
I bet the school has a zero tolerance policy. These kids have been TRAINED to watch others get the crap kicked out of them.

Don't step in, don't break it up, don't defend your friends. Just stand there. Just watch.

Just film it so you can watch it again later.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:17 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
GREAT QUESTION! I think that Yahoo has some explaining to do!

There’s not a school anywhere that doesn’t have bullying. There was bullying in my school 40+ years ago and the demographics do not match this school.

If there’s any common factor in schools with significant bullying problems I would think economic class is a more important factor than racial demographics.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:22 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I bet the school has a zero tolerance policy. These kids have been TRAINED to watch others get the crap kicked out of them.

Don't step in, don't break it up, don't defend your friends. Just stand there. Just watch.

Kids have always watched fights without intervening. They’d know what time it was “Steve’s going to beat up Joey after school!!” And there’d be 50 kids out there to watch. Decades ago when I was in school. They film it now but they cheered it on going way back. Even in A Christmas Story, wholesome family movie, other kids didn’t intervene in the scenes where they got bullied and beat up.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:08 PM

1,168 posts, read 775,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

That's just human nature. Bullying happens in every single age group, right up to the nursing home.

Kids bully their smaller, weaker peers. Adults bully their coworkers, neighbors, minorities, poor people, mentally ill etc. And the audience just stands around and watches or might even join in. You almost never see someone intervene and shame the aggressor. That only happens in the movies and viral videos.

I don't want to sound as if I'm blaming the parents, but it has to start at home. Kids need to be equipped with high self-esteem, confidence and the ability to defend themselves in these situations. That is the only permanent solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events