U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM

21,715 posts, read 17,200,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Has being an incel been successfully used as an insanity defense?
Insanity defense requires the person have no understand of right and wrong, and there is no evidence this guy didn't know what he was doing, in fact there's plenty that he did understand. I would think his Asperger's will be played up by the defense, not that he's an Incel. he's an Incel because he has Aspergers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM

2,238 posts, read 673,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Insanity defense requires the person have no understand of right and wrong, and there is no evidence this guy didn't know what he was doing, in fact there's plenty that he did understand. I would think his Asperger's will be played up by the defense, not that he's an Incel. he's an Incel because he has Aspergers.
Asbergers Smashburgers. I think this is just a bs diagnosis that professionals use to explain a wide range of behaviors that they don't understand.

Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Asbergers Smashburgers. I think this is just a bs diagnosis that professionals use to explain a wide range of behaviors that they don't understand.
Well I have experience working in a school system and I’ve seen people with aspergers all the way through the spectrum, both kids and adults. It’s not fake. It’s not going to matter in terms of whether he’s found guilty or not, he definitely will be found guilty. But it behooves us as a society to take it seriously in preventing this trend from continuing. I think this community is particularly vulnerable to online manipulation.

Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM

22,926 posts, read 15,000,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
Oh, you're so wrong here. There's so much ! You don't seem familiar with this field, but I can assure you that this is a prime specimen for a controlled study that could go on for a decade and result in dozens scientific papers.

Wouldn't it be a greater punishment for him to suffer ~3,000 nights than just one&done ?

Ideally, they'd partner up with military and I'm sure they wouldn't mind fitting portion of the bill - if you strip him of human rights and can go BlackOps on him under a microscope without any of the red tape
I do agree that life in prison with no hope of parole is a worse punishment than death. But if he is alive, and human, he still has human rights. Of course he does not have freedom. But you canít subject him to torture or starve him to death.

I think he is utterly selfish and possibly a sociopath. He belongs behind bars for the remainder of his life.

Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM

8,484 posts, read 5,213,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think the Aspergers is being discounted, but we ignore it at a peril. Many of these guys have similar issues, resulting in zero understanding of social skills and inability to fit into society. Sure, we can play whack-a-mole and wait till they kill people and then kill them, but its not a very effective way to actually stop what has become basically online recruiting and egging on by these online forums that they join that feed and feed their anger and sense of societal injustice until they lash out. many of these sites operate just like ISIS recruitment sites do. I know it's a tricky balance between protecting the first amendment and policing the internet, but it is the internet creating these monsters and unleashing them on society, and taking down one while 100 more are being created seems kind of short-sighted. I understand the desire for vengeance, but I'm actually more interested in prevention.
This is utterly contemptible trash. Seriously. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Not that you will be, of course.

Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

1,037 posts, read 364,411 times
It's Canada. There's a good chance they'll let him out eventually. He's young, and he's going to be eligible for parole at some point. Probably before he's 50 if he's on good behavior in prison.

Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
This is utterly contemptible trash. Seriously. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Not that you will be, of course.
Be helpful if you told me exactly where you disagreed with me. As it stands, , no I don’t see any reason at all to be ashamed and honestly don’t have any idea what you find so objectionable in my post.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; Yesterday at 02:54 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

1,581 posts, read 1,090,631 times
The people he harmed were not responsible for his issues.

Are those incel people disgusted due to a lack of physical outlet, a lack of romance, or both?

Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
The people he harmed were not responsible for his issues.

Are those incel people disgusted due to a lack of physical outlet, a lack of romance, or both?
Lack of romance, but more typically just not fitting into society (article said he has Aspergers) . And then you combine that with Internet forums that encourage and egg on this rage and tell them that they have every reason to be full of rage, and before you know it you’ve created monsters out to get revenge.

In the article, he went on and on explaining how he would go to parties and try to flirt with girls and they didn’t want anything to do with him even though he was a perfect gentleman, and chose the muscular guys who I guess he assumed we’re not gentlemen just because... Without any understanding that he’s not compatible with a cheerleader types he was going after and has nothing in common with them socially. I think all of these incels could’ve had girlfriends if they were willing to settle for girls that were gettable for them, but it seems they all aspire to the beautiful, popular ones. And then rage at society because they can’t have them. My guess is he was just as unpopular with the guys as the girls.

Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

352 posts, read 97,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I do agree that life in prison with no hope of parole is a worse punishment than death. But if he is alive, and human, he still has human rights. Of course he does not have freedom. But you canít subject him to torture or starve him to death.
Why not ? If it's proven beyond any reasonable doubt that he executed mass murder, why should he still have any rights whatsoever ?

Of course, for the purpose of effectiveness of the experiments, it's critical there's a 24/7 medical help available to him so he actually doesn't just kick the bucket.

If, for military purposes, it's fine and legal to torture - then how come we draw the line and say - "it's a Good Boy, he's merely a mass murderer" ?

Note that I'm not talking about intentional physical torture here, merely investigating new interrogation techniques based on his psychological profile. I'm sure military has a lot of ideas here, but those experiments would definitely help with mapping the brain under FMRI, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events