U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 11:30 AM

4,007 posts, read 2,093,987 times

Advertisements

I never liked roller coasters when I was young. I certainly wouldn't go on one today. You're putting your life into the hands of strangers just for a thrill ride. Not me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 11:38 AM

14,030 posts, read 19,177,530 times
I remembered something like this happened at six flags I believe it was . I was a kid but I saw a father and three little kids gets on the roller coaster and it was over water . I m talking years and years ago . I think I must have been 8 or maybe younger but anyways the car came off the track and the whole thing went into the water it was tragic . dad and kids all dead my mother read it in the paper cause I had asked her about it . The paper reported that the track was really old and was not safe . I will never go on a roller coaster my husband loves them .Not only the car carrying the dad and kids but the car behind was traveling too fast and it did not stop either it went into the water too . I don't remember who was on that car . But I can remember my dad saying how tragic it was . I think the count was 12 or better dead .Sad very sad and so is this one .

Old 10-01-2019, 05:47 PM

5,505 posts, read 2,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Back in the 60's we had a small amusement type thing out in farm country. Roller rink and a few rides including one with swings. Swings were on ten foot chains and the thing rotated around a pinwheel arrangement. A highway was right along the park. So they wound up the swings and got some "g"s going with about 20 people on it, as the revs built up the swings were almost straight out. One of the chains broke and tossed a rider across the highway into a tree with fatal results. In a small town that sent out some shockwaves........
That's one of my favorite carnival rides. One of the travelling carnivals has one that does that about 40 ft up in the air.

I would have thought a tree landing would be best-case scenario. I guess not.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:47 PM

874 posts, read 262,738 times
I had to use a Spanish-to-English translator, it turns out that "Yeaaagh!" in Spanish means "Yeaaagh!" in English.

Terror is terror no matter what country you're in, sorry this had to happen to someone looking for a fun afternoon. "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee".

Old 10-02-2019, 05:19 AM

5,761 posts, read 4,051,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I never liked roller coasters when I was young. I certainly wouldn't go on one today. You're putting your life into the hands of strangers just for a thrill ride. Not me!
You put your life in the hands of strangers as young as 16 every time you drive.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:31 AM

758 posts, read 298,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
You put your life in the hands of strangers as young as 16 every time you drive.
Exactly. You are significantly more likely to die driving to the amusement park than on the roller coasters themselves.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:40 AM

21,860 posts, read 17,274,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Not just strangers, 16 year old strangers!

Old 10-02-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Exactly. You are significantly more likely to die driving to the amusement park than on the roller coasters themselves.
I know that makes sense but it doesn’t make much difference to those of us scared of coasters. That’s like the argument people use for people who are afraid to fly, that it’s much safer than being in a car. And I always say yes but a car crash is instant, you don’t spend 10 minute with your head down on the seat kissing your a** goodbye first.

Driving doesn’t garner the same fears, because we feel we have some control while we’re driving, while on a roller coaster on a plane you have control over nothing.
Any case, why should people pay for something that they won’t enjoy because they’re nervous on it?

If I decide to go for a walk through the cemetery in the middle of the night by myself, the chances of me getting killed there are practically nonexistent. However that knowledge does not change the fact I would be too afraid to ever walk through a cemetery at midnight by myself. Roller coasters fears are more in that category. It’s not about statistics and probabilities but more elemental fears.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:26 AM

758 posts, read 298,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I know that makes sense but it doesnít make much difference to those of us scared of coasters. Thatís like the argument people use for people who are afraid to fly, that itís much safer than being in a car. And I always say yes but a car crash is instant, you donít spend 10 minute with your head down on the seat kissing your a** goodbye first.

Driving doesnít garner the same fears, because we feel we have some control while weíre driving, while on a roller coaster on a plane you have control over nothing.
Any case, why should people pay for something that they wonít enjoy because theyíre nervous on it?

If I decide to go for a walk through the cemetery in the middle of the night by myself, the chances of me getting killed there are practically nonexistent. However that knowledge does not change the fact I would be too afraid to ever walk through a cemetery at midnight by myself. Roller coasters fears are more in that category. Itís not about statistics and probabilities but more elemental fears.
I never said people should pay for something if they won't enjoy it, I was just pointing out the facts. Yall are free to miss out on the fun

Old 10-02-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I never said people should pay for something if they won't enjoy it, I was just pointing out the facts. Yall are free to miss out on the fun

It was never all that fun even when I was a teen. I went on them then with my friends, but I was never a speed person. I'd rather go in the Funhouse. My brother and I took his kids to an amusement park and ?teamed up" my brother with my nephew and me with my niece. When we went on the coaster (very old wooden coaster) we had the opportunity to sit in the first car...and I said no, and let the kids behind us take it. She was so mad at me, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events