Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 06:29 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Exactly - what about those who are just tired of living but are healthy and not suffering from mental illness. If abortion is legal because it's the woman's body with no thought given to the life inside of her, then why can't people opt out of this life? It's their body no? Seems hypocritical to me.
I’ve thought about this too. True some people are not physically ill, nor mentally ill, and appear to have everything going for them, yet they kill themselves. For whatever reason they don’t want to go on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 09:08 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
I’ve thought about this too. True some people are not physically ill, nor mentally ill, and appear to have everything going for them, yet they kill themselves. For whatever reason they don’t want to go on.
My mother's cousin was a young married woman with a baby under a year old. She was at home with her husband, and he said he was going to go outside and get some firewood so that he could make a fire in the fireplace.

He never came back into the house, so she went to look for him. He had hung himself from a tree behind their garage. No note, no warning, no inkling of any unhappiness.

For the next year, she spent every day at his grave while others watched her son, until finally the family staged a sort of intervention and said "You have a son to raise, and you have to go on." I guess she got some counseling or something. It was a long time ago. The son is in his 40s. She had a successful-enough career and got involved in local politics. But she never knew why her husband decided to kill himself.

In a true-crime podcast I listen to, the woman says repeatedly that the only person who ever knows what a person is like inside is that person himself or herself. No matter how well you think you know someone, you don't. She's referring to murderers, of course, but we see that play out in suicides, as well.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:14 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Glad you got out. How awful for you and all involved. I’ve often thought of those jumpers and I can see why they jumped. As for the bridge that’s gruesome. If someone botches it they can end up suffering more than they ever have.
My grandfather botched it and ended up surviving in total agony for almost 3 weeks in the hospital u til he finally succumbed. Because the cause was suicide at the time his health insurance wouldn’t pay the bill, and my grandma didn’t get any life insurance. It was a mess.
I think suicides are far more common than stats show for this reason. I think many accidental deaths are well thought out suicides for reasons such as insurance and not wanting to be remembered as a suicide.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:49 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I think suicides are far more common than stats show for this reason. I think many accidental deaths are well thought out suicides for reasons such as insurance and not wanting to be remembered as a suicide.
I think so too.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:53 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,065,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My mother's cousin was a young married woman with a baby under a year old. She was at home with her husband, and he said he was going to go outside and get some firewood so that he could make a fire in the fireplace.
He never came back into the house, so she went to look for him. He had hung himself from a tree behind their garage. No note, no warning, no inkling of any unhappiness.
For the next year, she spent every day at his grave while others watched her son, until finally the family staged a sort of intervention and said "You have a son to raise, and you have to go on." I guess she got some counseling or something. It was a long time ago. The son is in his 40s. She had a successful-enough career and got involved in local politics. But she never knew why her husband decided to kill himself.
In a true-crime podcast I listen to, the woman says repeatedly that the only person who ever knows what a person is like inside is that person himself or herself. No matter how well you think you know someone, you don't. She's referring to murderers, of course, but we see that play out in suicides, as well.
That is a mystery, isn't it, so sad for his widow. My buddy's Grandma was known for her "mean" persona, it was like she had a burr under her saddle that simply got worse over time. One day (when she was much younger) her husband said that he was going out for some ice cream. He never came back. About a year later he called her on the phone, and she let him have it with both barrels. He hung up and the family never heard from him again. Yeah, Granny was could be a real peach, I had the pleasure of knowing her (but not having to be related to her) for about twenty years or so. So, the family joke was, if there was ever a minor argument among my buddy and his wife, he would tell her "I'm going to go out for some ice cream".

Old 10-11-2019, 05:24 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Family members and friends of someone who kills themselves are not "survivors." Where did this term come from to apply here? what have they survived? The connotation of using this word in this context puts an unfair responsibility on each individual to stay alive for the benefit of others. While I think parents have such a responsibility to minor children, in all other situations when someone wants out of this life it's ok. They weren't given any say in being born so it's fair play.
There are so many things wrong with the way society views suicide, and this is a perfect example.
Survivor doesn't mean stay alive for others - it's about how the loved one must go on, after the suicide. It's similar to hearing how a loved one exited tragically, except the guilt is prevailing and intense with suicide. That probably has something to do with how society views suicide as you mentioned. For starters, I think it stems from using the word "commit" with suicide. Commit always implies a crime and suicide is not.

Old 10-12-2019, 04:28 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Americans have made it so hard to commit suicide safely and efficiently, everybody has to search for hit-miss "coat hanger" method that make an awful mess.
So you think you should just be able to go to the gas station and buy a bottle of concentrated cyanide solution? I wouldn't support that at all.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:58 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,156,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
So you think you should just be able to go to the gas station and buy a bottle of concentrated cyanide solution? I wouldn't support that at all.
Well, no. That would be used for murder more often than suicide.

But we should be able to go to our doctor or a clinic and have them be able to do it, like Kevorkian did, only legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events