U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 01:26 AM

17,768 posts, read 21,654,606 times

Advertisements

I know I'll do it one day, unless I become a quadriplegic or paralyzed from a stroke, and I've thought of renting a car that failed miserably in a crash test, get it up to as fast as it will go and crash into a concrete abutment or a tree. And then leave an amount of money behind to clean up the mess.

Some of these falls, not the one in this thread, at the Grand Canyon could be premediated murders, only reason I say this, is because I read a True Crime book about a man from Seattle that "killed" 2 of his wives for insurance money. He knew both of them were fearful of heights, but he was such a charmer he could get you to stand in front of a moving train, and he did it with his charm and a camera. Up the mountain they go, hand and hand, for picture taking.

"Sweetheart! Just take 3 steps backwards, and 2 steps to the right, it'll make for a great photo you can show your family!" And? Down she went! He killed another of his fear-of-heights wife the same way. He got caught "killing" his third wife who couldn't swim. Too many bystanders on that lake that day as witnesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 02:15 AM

5,063 posts, read 1,966,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
What the US needs is a legit way for people to exit their lives that doesn't involve terrifying methods such as heights, guns and ropes. The US is in the dark ages when it comes to suicide.
Almost every country has almost the same laws.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:23 AM

13,899 posts, read 13,025,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Ban bathrobe sashes, especially after Robin Williams and David Carradine (although I don't think that David actually meant to kill himself, he was simply partying like a rock star and took it a bit too far).
Yeah, I donít understand when rich and famous people hang themselves. With all of their wealth and resources, they couldnít come up with a better way to commit suicide? Maybe itís quick, but I hate the idea of hanging.

Quote:
He could have just asked Kevin Hart for a ride to Taco Bell, that would have done it.
LOL

Old 10-02-2019, 05:38 AM

1,203 posts, read 293,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
Have you seen the stories of men sucker-punching women for sport? It usually occurs during the morning rush and the streets are full of those walking to work from the rail or bus stop. When I read this story I wondered what it would take for one mental druggie to pick some stranger up and toss them over the edge. There's so many sick people running about. I think that wall needs to be a little higher. We didn't used to have these idiots out and about. Recall the joker who picked up a strange boy in the mall and tossed him over the catwalk? What's to stop the same angry derelicts from doing the same thing there on the sky walk?
Nothing.

What's your point?

We're a nation with more than 320 million people and who-knows-how many millions of miles of cliffs, ledges and railings.

Could that happen? Of course. And every car you pass could cross the center line and end your life. Anyone in a hardware store could conceivably grab a hammer or ax off the shelf and run amok. Any pilot with a Cessna could intentionally crash into a crowd.

The problem arises when people obsess over headlines, and somehow get it in their minds that these very unusual - literally, in a statistical sense, extremely rare - events are something for them to worry over.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:41 AM

13,899 posts, read 13,025,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I know I'll do it one day, unless I become a quadriplegic or paralyzed from a stroke, and I've thought of renting a car that failed miserably in a crash test, get it up to as fast as it will go and crash into a concrete abutment or a tree. And then leave an amount of money behind to clean up the mess.
That doesnít sound like a nice way to do it to me. Maybe come up with another plan?

Old 10-02-2019, 06:52 AM

11,139 posts, read 21,734,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Yeah, I donít understand when rich and famous people hang themselves. With all of their wealth and resources, they couldnít come up with a better way to commit suicide? Maybe itís quick, but I hate the idea of hanging.

LOL
I used to follow the John Doe known as Lyle Stevik. He hung himself by kneeling which is how I think Robin Williams hung himself. Lyle was finally identified about a year ago.

Anyway, hanging is supposed to be a pretty brutal way to go. The body supposedly tries to fight the belt around the throat.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:22 AM

2,784 posts, read 3,411,345 times
I guess thats one way to do it but damn.....you have all that time to ponder that decision from the time you jump until you hit the ground.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:48 AM

10,747 posts, read 12,659,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Why would you go through all that? That is a violent ending and doesn't guarantee death!

Put the car in the garage and go to sleep or better yet: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Old 10-02-2019, 09:01 AM

2,249 posts, read 681,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
I’m not going to give anyone any idea about the pencil but it’s possible. Also my post was responding to another poster about how we can’t stop suicides in general as too many issues. One poster mentioned all cars would need to be eliminated. I’m referring to the fact that anything can be used as a weapon to kill oneself and anywhere you go or eat or travel too, if someone wants to die they will do it. Therefore we can’t stop all of this by giving up cars, traveling, should Grand Canyon and Yellowstone be closed as people kill themselves there, no. Should people stop driving, should overpasses be torn down, that’s what I meant. We can’t stop all of these people from killing themselves.
I agree with you that we can't stop them, but don't quite understand why some people want to try to stop them. Who is a better judge than each individual to decide whether their life is worth carrying on? Stopping someone from killing themselves is not "saving" them, since they will end up dying anyway eventually. People should worry about themselves and let others figure such things out for themselves.
Anyway, I have no idea how one could kill themselves with a pencil other than maybe shove it deeply through their eyesocket into their brain or some such horrendous thing and nobody is going to go out that way - just about any of the usual methods are far better options. I think I'd rather set myself on fire than die by pencil.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:31 AM

12,599 posts, read 18,741,943 times
Something about human nature - wanting to find the most dramatic place possible to end it. Why not? You only kill yourself once.

Rio Grande Gorge Bridge in New Mexico, one of the highest in the U.S. and certainly the most dramatic being 600 feet above the gorge, always gets jumpers. I was there last year sightseeing and ran into a police road block a hundred yards from the bridge - you guessed it, some guy jumped off and they were retrieving the body on the bottom of the gorge. Kind of rude of the jumper to take a few hours from my vacation time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events