U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 08:39 AM

2,254 posts, read 682,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Hopefully one day people won't be stigmatized for having mental health issues and big Pharma will find medication without all the horrible side effects.
It's such a fallicy to assume everyone who commits suicide because they have mental health issues. Ignoring those with perfectly sound minds who are suffering from a fatal illness or who have a debilitating illness or paralysis, it's true that most suicides are depressed. However, this doesn't automatically mean they have a mental illness that is causing the depression. Many otherwise mentally healthy people become suicidally depressed because of any number of external things they have or are going through. An abusive childhood, ptsd, extreme poverty or a financial disaster they have fallen into which could be caused by any number of reasons such as a gambling habit or student loans they can't pay back, a sudden loss of a loved one or a terrible divorce, etc etc etc.

When the stock market crashed in 1929 many people offed themselves, which proves my point that very stressful situations can easily cause depression and stress that results in suicide. Sometimes people who are otherwise healthy mentally and physically simply decide life simply isn't worth living. It's just a logical conclusion that the effort involved isn't worth what they are getting out of it, so they end it - no depression involved at all.

Although I'm sure a good percentage of them are mentally ill, to say they all are is to ignore a huge number of those who commit suicide and are not mentally ill. Every time I read something that assumes this I just roll my eyes, it's just another one of those bs "facts" that people believe because it gets repeated over and over.

Last edited by duke944; 10-03-2019 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 08:48 AM

13,903 posts, read 13,029,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
It's such a fallicy to assume everyone who commits suicide because they have mental health issues. Ignoring those with perfectly sound minds who are suffering from a fatal illness or who have a debilitating illness or paralysis, it's true that most suicides are depressed. However, this doesn't automatically mean they have a mental illness that is causing the depression. Many otherwise mentally healthy people become suicidally depressed because of any number of external things they have or are going through. An abusive childhood, ptsd, extreme poverty or a financial disaster they have fallen into which could becaused by any number of reasons such as a gambling habit or student loans they can't pay back, a sudden loss of a loved one or a terrible divorce, etc etc etc. When the stock market crashed in 1929 many people offed themselves, which proves my point that very stressful situations can easily cause depression and stress that results in suicide.
Although I'm sure a good percentage of them are mentally ill, to say they all are is to ignore a huge number of those who commit suicide and are not mentally ill.
Agreed. I reject the idea that if you are mentally healthy, you should want to live as long as possible. Maybe I am simply mentally healthy enough to realize that life isnít all that wonderful, and/or Iíve already experienced and accomplished the things that are important to me and donít have a desire to experience life beyond that.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:28 AM

17,771 posts, read 21,659,932 times
Sometimes you run across people who have committed suicide for, seemingly, flimsy reasons, and it leaves you shaking your head in wonder.

But one doesn't really know what led up to, it could have been a straw that broke the camel's back.

I've had days in the past, where I was hit with a half dozen "snowballs" at once and, secretively, I vowed if one more snowball hits me today, I'm outta here. And the last straw could have been getting a flat tire, or simply dropping a bottle of red wine on the living room carpet.

Can't you hear it? "A man commits suicide because he got a flat tire on his car!"

Old 10-03-2019, 10:03 AM

912 posts, read 215,172 times
If they haven’t found a body perhaps he survived with minor injuries and went home. I’ve read stories where people have fallen from great heights and survived. One out of a plane.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:08 AM

13,903 posts, read 13,029,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
If they havenít found a body perhaps he survived with minor injuries and went home. Iíve read stories where people have fallen from great heights and survived. One out of a plane.
Yeah, heís probably at home watching Netflix right now like nothing ever happened. No big deal.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:33 AM

912 posts, read 215,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Yeah, heís probably at home watching Netflix right now like nothing ever happened. No big deal.
Well we recently cancelled Netflix. We just werenít using it enough plus they recently raised their rates. Perhaps heís watching Hulu. I was thinking of giving them a shot. Anyway hope heís ok and going to therapy for his troubles.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:01 PM

755 posts, read 230,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Well we recently cancelled Netflix. We just werenít using it enough plus they recently raised their rates. Perhaps heís watching Hulu. I was thinking of giving them a shot. Anyway hope heís ok and going to therapy for his troubles.
Interesting. You may be right. What a story to tell the grandkids. ...Please don't.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:15 PM

2,716 posts, read 2,386,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If someone is serious about ending their life, this is a sure fire way, there is absolutely no chance of surviving, and more than likely, he was dead before he hit the ground, (the level of fear would probably cause the person to go into shock as soon as they jumped).
I doubt that. I've jumped out of airplanes that were as high as 15,000ft. It's a helluva dopamine rush. Maybe one day I'll do a HALO jump. Will need to if I ever want to graduate to a class D jump license.

Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM

877 posts, read 326,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
GRAND CANYON WEST, Ariz. ó Authorities are trying to locate the body of a man who climbed over a safety barrier at the Grand Canyon Skywalk and apparently jumped to his death.https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...mp/ncna1060236
---
Maybe a ceremony or ceremonies and sage can restore the ambience, of this beautiful place. It might take a while. Maybe some heavy rains will help.

Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM

2,254 posts, read 682,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
They are only terrifying because they result in death.
Wth are you talking about? In the first place, we all die. Nobody gets out alive, it's only a matter of time for every living creature that has or ever will live on the earth. Nobody should fear death, because it's 100% going to happen - fearing something that WILL happen is illogical and just plain silly. Secondly, you obviously have no idea the courage it takes to jump from a height or put a gun in your mouth. There's no guarantee it goes smoothly with lights out, it could go horrifically wrong if it fails. The fear here isn't a successful death, that's what they want - it's going through agony and/or waking up in a hospital bed in some horrific physical state if it fails.
I don't know if I could ever muster up enough courage to end it someday so that I might avoid the slow entropy of death by old age. I can only hope I die of natural causes before I get there if that's the case. Here's another thing I read a lot that really pi$$es me off - idiots who call suicides "cowards." The are most definitely NOT that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events