U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM

177 posts, read 46,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
I doubt that. I've jumped out of airplanes that were as high as 15,000ft. It's a helluva dopamine rush. Maybe one day I'll do a HALO jump. Will need to if I ever want to graduate to a class D jump license.
Difference is, you knew you had a parachute. Or at least I'm assuming that was the case.

The fear of thinking I'll feel pain, wondering how bad it will be and how long it will last, and knowing I'll probably die would give me a heart attack about half way down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

1,222 posts, read 295,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If someone is serious about ending their life, this is a sure fire way, there is absolutely no chance of surviving, and more than likely, he was dead before he hit the ground, (the level of fear would probably cause the person to go into shock as soon as they jumped).
I really wonder sometimes where you come up with the ideas you post...

Jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge is a highly successful method of suicide. 98% of jumpers die. That means 2% of jumpers don't die. They don't magically die of 'shock' (whatever that even means) on the way down. Also, you've heard of autopsies, right? They show that the vast majority of jumpers die of blunt force trauma - ie, the impact with the water - and not of 'shock'. A small percentage drown or succumb to hypothermia, having survived the fall. When there's a terrifying place crash - like Flight 232 in Sioux City, where the pilot told them that a crash landing was imminent - autopsies show the causes of death: blunt-force trauma, smoke asphyxiation, burns, etc. They never find an otherwise unharmed survivor who died of 'shock' or 'fright', or even of a heart attack.

Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM

11,135 posts, read 5,210,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Why would you go through all that? That is a violent ending and doesn't guarantee death!

Put the car in the garage and go to sleep or better yet
: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
Even that is not a surefire way. Apparently the newer cars make it harder to off yourself in the garage. If someone is hell bent on ending it they are lots of ways to do it. However even in my darkest moments I always thought about my family finding me so I would never want to do anything horrific like shooting myself in the head or jumping in front of a semi. Imagine the poor driver of that semi.

Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

2,257 posts, read 682,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

Jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge is a highly successful method of suicide. 98% of jumpers die. That means 2% of jumpers don't die. They don't magically die of 'shock' (whatever that even means) on the way down. Also, you've heard of autopsies, right? They show that the vast majority of jumpers die of blunt force trauma - ie, the impact with the water - and not of 'shock'. A small percentage drown or succumb to hypothermia, having survived the fall. When there's a terrifying place crash - like Flight 232 in Sioux City, where the pilot told them that a crash landing was imminent - autopsies show the causes of death: blunt-force trauma, smoke asphyxiation, burns, etc. They never find an otherwise unharmed survivor who died of 'shock' or 'fright', or even of a heart attack.
You are right, I seriously doubt jumpers die of fright on the way down. What I think is going to happen jumping off the Golden Gate bridge is this: you jump, free falling for several seconds, then hit the water. You hope for the hit to knock you out, but most likely it doesn't and you end up with terrible blunt force injuries as you descend deeply into the ocean - like 20+ feet, where you end up drowning.
It's an absolutely terrifying and potentially excrutiatingly painful way to die with very much unkown results, and I really can't fathom choosing this method - for those who have, they have way more guts than I.

Last edited by duke944; Yesterday at 05:00 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM

177 posts, read 46,426 times
As I get older I think about hoarding pain killers and keeping some booze on hand.

I'd have to research it to see if there are any tips to make sure you don't vomit it up when you're unconscious. Maybe go unconscious on my back so if I do regurgitate I'll choke on it and die that way? I vivdly remember that scene from Breaking Bad. And see how much I'd need to do the job. I have years left, but I have a few surgeries I'll need in the next 5 years and that's a good opportunity to take every prescription the surgeon will give me and put it away for when I need it.

It's only an hour drive to a state that does assisted suicide, but they'll only do it if you're diagnosed with a terminal illness and expected to die within 6 months.

Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM

10,754 posts, read 12,664,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

By RStevens62's theory wouldn't EVERY skydiver die from shock?

I have skydived multiple times but I must be lucky that "shock" didn't kill me

Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM

10,754 posts, read 12,664,636 times
Why not go to the extreme for suicide?

Noose around your neck (steel cable), gunshot to the chest makes you lose your balance off your platform, you had doused yourself with gasoline prior to the gunshot so likely that would ignite from the barrel blast. Hanging, gunshot, fire all in one act. Surely you would be a BBQ'd corpse swinging in the breeze right?

Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM

2,257 posts, read 682,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Why not go to the extreme for suicide?

Noose around your neck (steel cable), gunshot to the chest makes you lose your balance off your platform, you had doused yourself with gasoline prior to the gunshot so likely that would ignite from the barrel blast. Hanging, gunshot, fire all in one act. Surely you would be a BBQ'd corpse swinging in the breeze right?
If I were to ever do it I would certainly go to extremes, guaranteeing success with minimal pain. Shoot yourself in the head as you fall backwards off the golden gate bridge would be the sort of guaranteed result extreme I would shoot for. Pun intended.

Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

2,738 posts, read 2,119,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I used to follow the John Doe known as Lyle Stevik. He hung himself by kneeling which is how I think Robin Williams hung himself. Lyle was finally identified about a year ago.

Anyway, hanging is supposed to be a pretty brutal way to go. The body supposedly tries to fight the belt around the throat.
My sister died that way. I'd would think they'd slip into unconsciousness quite fast into death. So pain isn't really felt. If someone were to rescue the person soon enough, the person would probably suffer from permanent disability for life.

Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM

15,287 posts, read 13,701,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
My sister died that way. I'd would think they'd slip into unconsciousness quite fast into death. So pain isn't really felt. If someone were to rescue the person soon enough, the person would probably suffer from permanent disability for life.
.........which is exactly what the future held for Robin Williams if he didn't die first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events