U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 10:02 AM

2,661 posts, read 979,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
One of the things that kept me from going thru like some years ago, when I was coming off dope, the question of what happens next kept popping into my head, it was way too much of a risk jumping head first into death via suicide, when NO ONE knows what death is like!...what if conditions are worse than those I was trying to escape from? would I be able to kill myself again?
What stops me (although I've never felt suicidal urges) is the fear that halfway down I'll change my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If you've ever worked in a Long-Term Care Facility, and walk about the facility, particularly the Vent-Trach unit, where they're all connected to a myriad of tubes, you shake your head in wonder, why, why, why do they keep hanging on?
I know- DH and I used to watch veterinary reality shows in which an animal too old and/or too sick to be treated was euthanized gently, with the people who loved them around. I know there are religious objections to that for humans- not sure how I'd feel about it for myself or a family member- but when both DH and my mother had cancer diagnoses in the same year and treatment had only a slim chance of success, both chose palliative care, and lasted about 6 months. Perfectly rational decision, IMO.

Last edited by athena53; 10-06-2019 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 10:22 AM

960 posts, read 224,777 times
Has he been found? Wondering if he survived.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:28 AM

2,276 posts, read 691,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Even though Iíve responded to this conversation a few times I find this topic to be the most morbid thing. I never ever researched assisted suicide and had no idea of the place in Switzerland. Iím glad Iím not at a point where Iím even considering it seriously yet from reading other threads I can understand someone wanting to bow out so to speak. Iíve had some tumultuous years about the last ten or more have sucked. Itís been like a roller coaster sometimes. But I keep moving forward and picking myself up again as donít know what else to do.
I hope anyone seriously contemplating this isnít reading this thread or seeks help.
Suicide is very common in all countries. You and most people are very squeamish about the subject and want to pretend it doesn't exist, which is is a big reason why there are no laws to help people exit. It's too bad people don't have the stomach to face the issue, because as it keeps being repeated in this thread, people who want to die only have terrible ways to do it.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I thought you die from the force of water entering body orifices and causing massive internal injuries when you jump from heights. That's what I read, anyway.
It all depends, that's the problem with a suicide method like this. Some die pretty quick, some suffer terrible injuries and drown - the autopsies prove this because some have water in the lungs. There's no guarantee things will go swimmingly (pun intended). I never have to worry about it because there's no way I'd ever muster the courage to jump from any height, just the thought of it makes me dizzy. I can't see myself even being able to jump like those on the twin towers did to avoid burning to death - it's just too terrifying a thought for me to jump from a height and splat on the ground. Jumping into water is even scarrier to me because surviving the fall is too likely then you will die in agony.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:47 AM

1,250 posts, read 305,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
What stops me (although I've never felt suicidal urges) is the fear that halfway down I'll change my mind.
Quote:
All 29 people who survived their suicide attempts off San Franciscoís Golden Gate Bridge have said they regretted their decision as soon as they jumped.
https://medium.com/@ennyman/a-lesson...s-a42f4ef3f970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Has he been found? Wondering if he survived.
I have no idea why you keep peddling this idea that the man who fell several hundred feet onto rock might have 'survived'. Do you really think that's possible? Apparently, you do, since you opined that he might've just had minor injuries and walked away. And you cited someone who fell from a plane.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/56323857-post54.html

I can think of three such people.

First, there was Nicholas Alkemade, who jumped out of a burning RAF Lancaster at 18,000' during World War II, preferring death by impact to death by smoke and burns. He survived, his impact cushioned by the boughs of a pine tree and deep winter snow.

Second, there's Vesna Vulović, the Yugoslav flight attendant who, in the 1970s, survived after the airliner she was on broke up at over 30,000. However, she fell inside of a portion of the fuselage, which obviously retained some aerodynamic characteristics, slowing the descent. Oh-- she suffered fractures to both legs, multiple vertebrae, her skull, her pelvis, and was in a coma for a month. Think she walked away?

Finally, there's Juliane Koepcke, who also survived (again, in the 1970s) when the turboprop she was in broke up at 9,000' over Peru. She was strapped into a row of three seats and that slowed her fall, which was further broken by the dense tropical canopy of the rainforest into which she dropped.

The man in this story did not survive. There's no snow there now. There are no trees below the catwalk. He did not fall inside part of an airplane, or attached to anything to slow his fall. Below the catwalk is a drop of several hundred feet to the rock of a talus slope. Following the impact with the talus, once can expect to bounce another several hundred feet down that steep (looks to be around 45 degrees) slope before what's left of their hideously manged corpse finally comes to a stop.

No one with even the most basic familiarity with common physics (or, really, common sense) should have needed the confirmation (made a week ago now) that he did not survive (much less get up and walk away).

Quote:
BY CAITLIN O'KANE
SEPTEMBER 30, 2019 / 7:36 PM / CBS NEWS
Quote:
No other guests were in danger, but the Skywalk was immediately closed to the public. The body was recovered Sunday morning and an investigation is ongoing, according to the spokesperson.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/grand-c...arent-suicide/

Old 10-06-2019, 01:42 PM

1,816 posts, read 532,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Suicide is very common in all countries. You and most people are very squeamish about the subject and want to pretend it doesn't exist, which is is a big reason why there are no laws to help people exit. It's too bad people don't have the stomach to face the issue, because as it keeps being repeated in this thread, people who want to die only have terrible ways to do it.
Iím actually not squeamish about it , I just have more feelings for these people and wish things were better for them. Saying itís morbid is not squeamish. Itís being normal. If someone does it , it is still sad for them and the survivors who deal with the aftermath. I know it exists quite well, as both my grandfather and my cousin killed themselves with a gun. My Dad who wasnít a great father to begin with, was really never the same after that incident and my uncle and his family have never been the same either. I know why my grandpa did it, and a bit about the other though it was so shocking.

Old 10-06-2019, 02:28 PM

15,294 posts, read 13,721,808 times
Quote:
Iím actually not squeamish about it , I just have more feelings for these people and wish things were better for them. Saying itís morbid is not squeamish. Itís being normal. If someone does it , it is still sad for them and the survivors who deal with the aftermath. I know it exists quite well, as both my grandfather and my cousin killed themselves with a gun. My Dad who wasnít a great father to begin with, was really never the same after that incident and my uncle and his family have never been the same either. I know why my grandpa did it, and a bit about the other though it was so shocking.
Yes, it is sad.

The thing is, in cases of horrific illnesses that entail much suffering before the release of death, which is worse?.......watching a loved one suffering and dying slowly or watching them being euthanized peacefully, painlessly?

Either way, the survivors are going to suffer dealing with the death.

My father suffered a skull fracture in WWII, much like football players, this caused Alzheimer-like deterioration when he became elderly. {His identical twin brother lived to 91 without suffering dementia, my father died at 81.}

The last few months of his life were horrific, he was like a rabid animal, hitting and biting {he still had most of his teeth} anyone who came near him. He could no longer talk, he was completely incontinent, ate with his hands. Keeping him heavily drugged was the only way they could deal with him.

To this day I regret that I couldn't have him euthanized at that point. With every fiber of my being I KNOW that is what he would have wanted. A once proud man reduced to a snarling animal. It breaks my heart and I am thankful that my mother died years earlier and didn't have to witness what happened to him.

Old 10-06-2019, 04:33 PM

770 posts, read 554,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
$300 is a downside? lol That’s nothing compared to the cost of nursing homes/assisted living or what you would spend on cancer treatments (or whatever other awful disease you’ll end up getting in your old age).

Nembutal was originally sold over the counter at the local drug store and it was cheap, no more than the price of cough syrup. Anyone could get access to it. While the $300 for nitrogen and required supplies may not be a problem for you and I, it does present a problem for others. If Nembutal was still available otc, this thread would never have been created.

Old 10-06-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Family members and friends of someone who kills themselves are not "survivors." Where did this term come from to apply here? what have they survived? The connotation of using this word in this context puts an unfair responsibility on each individual to stay alive for the benefit of others. While I think parents have such a responsibility to minor children, in all other situations when someone wants out of this life it's ok. They weren't given any say in being born so it's fair play.
There are so many things wrong with the way society views suicide, and this is a perfect example.

Old 10-06-2019, 08:33 PM

12,121 posts, read 20,709,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Family members and friends of someone who kills themselves are not "survivors." Where did this term come from to apply here? what have they survived? The connotation of using this word in this context puts an unfair responsibility on each individual to stay alive for the benefit of others. While I think parents have such a responsibility to minor children, in all other situations when someone wants out of this life it's ok. They weren't given any say in being born so it's fair play.
There are so many things wrong with the way society views suicide, and this is a perfect example.
Youíre being pedantic.

When someone commits suicide, it affects everyone in their lives. Trust me. There is a thing called survivors guilt, where are you spend a great deal of your time thinking if only I had done whatever, maybe this person wouldnít have killed herself.

Also being a widow I am considered ďhis survivorĒ since I survived him ó itís a common usage of the word survivor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events